• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do police react? (especially Charlotte police)

Afrowq

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to open carrying (off and on for about a year) and I would love to get some feedback from some of you who have been doing it for a long while. I live in Charlotte. I would like to carry more often, but I find that I am always a bit nervous whenever I open carry. Especially when a police officer is around. At my local Aldi grocery store, for example, there is always a cop at the front of the store performing security. I haven't found the courage to carry at Aldi because of this, because I fear an altercation with the police. So my question is, what are your experiences with open carrying around police (especially Charlotte police)? Are they knowledgable about individuals' gun rights? Do they bother you just because you have a gun? Am I nervous for no reason? What have your experiences typically been?

Just for background information, I am in my mid 30s, clean cut, and I am a family man. I like to open carry when I go out shopping with my wife and son. There is no reason why anyone would visually suspect that I am up to no good. But what about the police?

Thank you for your time.

solus

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to open carrying (off and on for about a year) and I would love to get some feedback from some of you who have been doing it for a long while. I live in Charlotte. I would like to carry more often, but I find that I am always a bit nervous whenever I open carry. Especially when a police officer is around. At my local Aldi grocery store, for example, there is always a cop at the front of the store performing security. I haven't found the courage to carry at Aldi because of this, because I fear an altercation with the police. So my question is, what are your experiences with open carrying around police (especially Charlotte police)? Are they knowledgable about individuals' gun rights? Do they bother you just because you have a gun? Am I nervous for no reason? What have your experiences typically been?

Just for background information, I am in my mid 30s, clean cut, and I am a family man. I like to open carry when I go out shopping with my wife and son. There is no reason why anyone would visually suspect that I am up to no good. But what about the police?

Thank you for your time.

welcome to the forum and here is something about aldi's firearm policy...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...reverses-policy-no-longer-prohibiting-weapons

as for the police...

ipse

Afrowq

That link doesn't say anything about open carry at Aldi, only conceal carry. No cop would know if I'm conceal carrying. But open carrying is another matter, and leads me back to my first question. How do cops respond to the sight of a firearm on a regular joe?

Also, what is ipse? Sorry, I'm new here and don't know all the acronyms.

Thank you

welcome to the forum and here is something about aldi's firearm policy...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...reverses-policy-no-longer-prohibiting-weapons

as for the police...

ipse

solus

That link doesn't say anything about open carry at Aldi, only conceal carry. No cop would know if I'm conceal carrying. But open carrying is another matter, and leads me back to my first question. How do cops respond to the sight of a firearm on a regular joe?

Thank you

first, they state they follow state laws - are there nc statutes prohibiting OC?
second, they are not posting signs - no, then see above.

leads one to the conclusion you may OC.

go look up nc attorney general and firearms, dtd feb 2014 for further info.

ipse

Afrowq

I know the law. I know I "may" open carry. My question is, do the police know that, and what are their reactions to seeing citizens open carrying?

All the recent statututes (including those referenced from February 2014) seem to focus primarily on conceal carry. They don't specifically reference open carry. So my question again: how do police react to open carry?

Liberty-or-Death

Most of the time, generally speaking, they don't react. But YMMV in other communities/states.

μολών λαβέ

NC-Heel

Open Carry is tolerated by the CMPD for the most part. Read my post in the Open Carry Experiences for specific encounters I have had. With that being said inside the John Belk Freeway perimeter the current unwritten policy of CMPD is to harass anyone carrying openly. I have been told this by numerous CMPD friends. Look for the signs at all doors and proceed from there. Even if they don't want your business while carrying all they can do is ask you to leave.

asanabia68

RE: How do police react? (especially Charlotte police)

Can you conceal carry? If so, you'd find that to be most hassle-free and you won't have to explain the law to some rookie while you're in handcuffs and possibly arrested to only have the charges dismissed. By then, you could end up with an arrest record though not a conviction record.

Having a concealed carry permit would be a somewhat safer way of open carrying because you can always fail back to that.

My $.02.

Afrowq

Can you conceal carry? If so, you'd find that to be most hassle-free and you won't have to explain the law to some rookie while you're in handcuffs and possibly arrested to only have the charges dismissed. By then, you could end up with an arrest record though not a conviction record.

Having a concealed carry permit would be a somewhat safer way of open carrying because you can always fail back to that.

My $.02.

Not legally. I could if I got a permit, but I don't believe in asking permission for a right. Plus conceal carry isn't as effective at deterring a random violent crime, since no one knows I have a weapon on me. Open carry just seems to be the best option.

Bernymac

My $.02.

Explain this "safer way of open carrying"? How is it safer? Safer for whom? You seem to be willing to give up a right to have a "hassle-free" life.

Ironside

Thank you

Here it is, I'm sure you weren't ignored ...

Ipse dixit, Latin for "He, himself, said it," is a term used to identify and describe a sort of arbitrary dogmatic statement which the speaker expects the listener to accept as valid.

Pompous, yes?

dmatting

Most of my time is spent in Durham County with frequent trips into the city limits of Durham. I've been in C-Stores and Fast Food joints with either a Durham Police officer or a Durham County Sheriff Deputy and have never been hassled or even spoken to (I did have a recent (non)encounter - it's in the NC OC Experience Report thread). I mention this because Durham is supposed to be the anti-open carry crap hole of North Carolina and I carry there every day.

Fear not, brother, and exercise your Right. Carry a voice recorder and have it recording at all times. Remember the phrase "Am I being Detained?" or "Why are you detaining me?" Know your rights!

Jamesm760

I began OCing in Charlotte. The LEOs that I came across while OCing didn't pay me any attention. I would go pump gas whenever I saw them parked at the gas station and nothing was ever said. I would OC in Hidden Valley (I used to live there) and the LEOs that patrolled the area never stopped me. I OCed at walmart on black friday last year and there was about 6 LEOs there that didn't care I was OCing.

solus

Here it is, I'm sure you weren't ignored ..

Ipse dixit, Latin for "He, himself, said it," is a term used to identify and describe a sort of arbitrary dogmatic statement which the speaker expects the listener to accept as valid.

Pompous, yes?

apparently gutshot, ironside also has difficulty searching the internet since he obviously failed 'search 101'...geeeeez! was that really that hard ironside, yet you still managed to screw this simple task up.

and NO. while that is rather a strong adjective you used ironside, i am sorry to inform you while i am sure you did mean it as a degradation of and to my character, you totally used the adjective incorrectly against the intended context.

so ironside, when you screw up the beginning, i hope you now see how it affects and distorts your perception, leads you astray, where you reach incorrect conclusion(s), which has caused you, in this instance from being a know it all who appears to be trying too hard, to a pompous....

ipse

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Here it is, I'm sure you weren't ignored ...

Pompous, yes?

Don't let google define your search parameters. Try it with just "ipse", rather than "ipse dixit".

Pompous? Certainly no more so than signature lines with quotes attributed to yourself. All just part of the community.

Last edited:

dmatting

I've noticed a trend lately where the original intent of many threads are thrown off into petty tit-for-tat tangents. Is it really that hard to stick to the original premise set by the OP? There are such things as PMs or you can even start your own thread.

And yes, this post is guilty of being tangential - but only to point out the ridiculous tangential nature that this thread has taken on. I'm just tired of the silly oneupsmanship that seems to have pervaded this sub-forum lately.

[/rant]

WalkingWolf

I tried, but I must chime in and rant myself. I don't live in Charlotte or like visiting Charlotte, sorry Charlotte residents. Too much traffic, too many people with short tempers, and IMO not the typical laid back tarheel in most places I have traveled here. That said I used to be regular there a few days a week about 10 years ago. Nothing was ever said to me OCing by police.

You chance a bad encounter every time you OC, in every part of the country that allows it. But overall those problems seem to be miniscule across NC. I know that probably does not help, but just keep at it, and know the law is behind you.

There was one arrest and somewhere on here there is thread to it, but the OCer was OCing a long gun. I am not sure of the complete circumstances, Old Timers Disease, or Can't Remember Chit. Just do not ever tough, rest your hand, or take your gun out for any reason, that would alarm the public. There was a person in one of those northern states that was charged for doing that, again I can't remember the exact state to look it up.

Good Luck!

End Rant!

Maverick9

1. Locate an OC group in your area (see the various forums, specifically for NC). Then carry with an experienced friend or OC group.

2. ALWAYS run a voice recorder.

3. Did I mention run a recorder?

Welcome

solus

I've noticed a trend lately where the original intent of many threads are thrown off into petty tit-for-tat tangents. Is it really that hard to stick to the original premise set by the OP? There are such things as PMs or you can even start your own thread.

And yes, this post is guilty of being tangential - but only to point out the ridiculous tangential nature that this thread has taken on. I'm just tired of the silly oneupsmanship that seems to have pervaded this sub-forum lately.

[/rant]

you know 'd' i also feel the same way about this inexplicable trend as i appreciate learning and discussing what the subject matter this forum has to offer. but of late, it seems folk put out personal opinions as gospel while steadfastly continuing their spin or warping the opinion even further than what they started. all of the rhetoric spewed w/o benefit of viable cites so membership can read the entire context to ensure they understand the perspective being presented and further the discussion.

some of the personal attacks out here , by an individual's personal name and threats hurled is astounding from my personal perspective. but due to the nature of the internet as well as anonymous forums in general, individuals can put whatever persona they wish to project and there is little anybody can do about it per se.

btw, nice to see you out and about again...you have been hiding of late.

ipse

Afrowq

[/rant]

Boy isn't that the truth. An all-caps response to a simple question that basically says "go google it". That's really helpful. Why bother posting at all?