• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got a question....

Lovenox

If you are OC'ing in your automobile and a cop asks to see your Conceal Carry card and you say you don't have one can he inspect your firearm to make sure it's not loaded?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
If you are OC'ing in your automobile and a cop asks to see your Conceal Carry card and you say you don't have one can he inspect your firearm to make sure it's not loaded?

Having a loaded gun in any vehicle requires you have a CPL However since t's unloaded I believe he would need to have RAS to believe it's loaded before he could check it.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I got pulled over for speeding by State Patrol. They know we have a CPL when they run your plates. The first question he had was "do you have a gun?". Yes, OK don't touch it. Still got a frikin ticket!! Unlikely to ask to see your CPL, since they already know you have one.

Last edited:

Lovenox

I got pulled over for speeding by State Patrol. They know we have a CPL when they run your plates. The first question he had was "do you have a gun?". Yes, OK don't touch it. Still got a frikin ticket!! Unlikely to ask to see your CPL, since they already know you have one.

When they run your plates or driver's license?

Lovenox

Having a loaded gun in any vehicle requires you have a CPL However since t's unloaded I believe he would need to have RAS to believe it's loaded before he could check it.

Never said it was unloaded...more or less does he have the power to ensure it's unloaded...

Difdi

An unloaded gun makes a very poor club. People carry for self-defense -- it's reasonable to believe they are carrying it in a manner that it would not be useless.

Lovenox

An unloaded gun makes a very poor club. People carry for self-defense -- it's reasonable to believe they are carrying it in a manner that it would not be useless.

Perhaps, but my original question still stands. Besides you have to have your CPL on your person if you are carrying in a manner that warrants the CPL to begin with...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

I listen to the B'ham scanner quite a bit and I hear them call in vehicles. Yes, I have heard the despatch tell the LEO the "owner" has a CPL. Now, it may not be the reg owner driving. I have been with my Sweet Baboo when she got a speeding ticket. She was concealed, I was OC, and the LEO did not even ask.

On the OPs query....If you are "breaking" the law by carrying concealed without a permit (CPL), why would you NOT be arrested/ticketed? Being in/on a vehicle requires a CPL, you can see it in the RCW.

Lovenox

I listen to the B'ham scanner quite a bit and I hear them call in vehicles. Yes, I have heard the despatch tell the LEO the "owner" has a CPL. Now, it may not be the reg owner driving. I have been with my Sweet Baboo when she got a speeding ticket. She was concealed, I was OC, and the LEO did not even ask.

On the OPs query....If you are "breaking" the law by carrying concealed without a permit (CPL), why would you NOT be arrested/ticketed? Being in/on a vehicle requires a CPL, you can see it in the RCW.

I was under the impression that you can OC in your vehicle WITHOUT a CPL...your weapon just can't be loaded hence my original post.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

There you go.

Lovenox

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

There you go.

The first sentence ....is it saying exclusively LOADED?

Dave_pro2a

Yes, and oh sooooo much more.

Welcome to the era of big gov and data mining private companies. Soon they will be able to do things like:

Pull up your travel history based on traffic cam, toll cams, high speed license plat scanners mounted to vehicles.

Pull up all your info without talking to you or seeing your idea: biometrics + body mounted cam (info might just include medical records and any subscription meds, facebook posts, recent purchases in stores and online, and they could add in info about recent emails and phone calls -- if things get real bad, etc) With google glasse type products you'll never know they are doing it.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/bar...eillance-plan-seeking-direct-access-americans
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t...s_visual_fingerprinting_for_google_glass.html

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

While it may be reasonable to you that an individual would be carrying in a specific manner. However, I believe the cop has to assume you are following the law unless he has RAS that you are not. Plus I have carried unloaded in WA before, it only takes a second to become operational.

Never said it was unloaded...more or less does he have the power to ensure it's unloaded...

I am not a lawyer obviously this is just my input. I believe they would need to have RAS that the gun is loaded in order to pursue it further. What cumulative evidence raises the suspicion to RAS, I don't know. Clearly, I would say if he could see the magazine inserted into the firearm that may be enough RAS to suspect it to be loaded.

Also, I would like to note that making a false or misleading statement to an officer is an offense. So, saying its not loaded and the officer getting RAS and determines it loaded would end up not well for you.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
How could he possibly know who was driving the vehicle just from the license plates? That's amazing....

I would say your BOTH correct. Based on information I have for Dispatch in MT and my understanding of Dispatch in WA.

a) Dispatch receives the plates back from the officer and during that check it can also have CPL information for any RO to the vehicle.
b) Its not guaranteed that the person driving is an RO, so it should not be assumed that the information returned for the RO is the person driving. However, most of the time it likely is.

Freedom1Man

I would say your BOTH correct. Based on information I have for Dispatch in MT and my understanding of Dispatch in WA.

a) Dispatch receives the plates back from the officer and during that check it can also have CPL information for any RO to the vehicle.
b) Its not guaranteed that the person driving is an RO, so it should not be assumed that the information returned for the RO is the person driving. However, most of the time it likely is.

How long has that been going on?

Redmond didn't believe that I had one after they decided to felony stop me one morning. Then wrote a ticket for an unsafe lane change when I had never changed lanes in the first place.

DocWalker

What you don't ask the criminal that is beating, stabbing, or shooting at you to stop and recognize your time-out so you can load your weapon? (note this is sarcasm).

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
How long has that been going on?

Redmond didn't believe that I had one after they decided to felony stop me one morning. Then wrote a ticket for an unsafe lane change when I had never changed lanes in the first place.

My understanding the WA Dispatch is in regards to WSP. Each city may do things differently.