• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got a question....

muggins

My understanding the WA Dispatch is in regards to WSP. Each city may do things differently.

Yep, there are a lot of different systems. In Pierce Co. A majority of the municipalities use South Sound 911 (formerly LESA) for their support systems.

Depending on the system and how they decide to set it up they can have a plate check return CPL info on the registered drivers, as well as also return a list of any handguns an individual has purchased that are entered into the DOL'S handgun registry.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

I think it would be presumptuous for them to assume you are breaking the law.

But that's the new 'normal.'

Every citizen is presumed guilty and must be surveilled.

I think they even gave up on the tired lie "it's for the children.' and really just expect us to **** and take it.

Primus

How could he possibly know who was driving the vehicle just from the license plates? That's amazing....

In our system the info for the plate comes right from the registry (DMV). If you have a license then you have a photo on file from the DMV. When you enter tag it comes up with MV info (make model year status of registration) and owner info (name DOB address given to RMV). This brings up a series of tabs.

Some tabs include,NCIC, photo, WMS (warrant management system), BOP (board of probation), and IMC. IMC is the the link to our in house report system. Several surrounding departments use this system.

So here's how it goes...

Pull car over. Enter plate. Said tabs come up with owner info. Name is JOE SNUFFY 01/01/1980. License is active registration is active. Plate is attached to correct vehicle.

Click (press touch screen) the image button..bam a color photo of JOE SNUFFY is there. Then you check other tabs if needed. If WMS is red (possible hit) then you click it. It shows list of names and DOBs. Confirm warrant or move on.

The IMC portion is where you can quickly find the gun info. If the license was issued by my city or even a surrounding city/town that uses the same report system, then you click the IMC tab. If you have a LTC it'll have your basic info in a profile. So name dob address. If you have a LTC it'll say right on it, "LTC class a issued no restrictions" or w/e your license is (class B, FID etc.).

So now you have Joe Snuffys name and DOB, more importantly a PHOTO and a report that your department gave him a license to carry. So you can walk up to vehicle and inquire about it. If you walked up and saw it was Joe snuffys 17 year old daughter then obviously its not him.

Note, none of the information is "data mined" by the NSA or FBI or secret ninjas in your closet. Its all information you give to the RMV and the department when you apply for a LTC.

Also everything I just listed can/is done right in the cruiser behind you. It can also be done by dispatch if need be. Depends on the circumstance.

I hope this helps clarify how SOME departments gather basic info. Again, there is no data mining or ninjas. Its info you voluntarily give to RMV. If you want to list your address as somewhere its not, then that's on you. It is a citable offense but I could personally care less.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Primus

Oh, and if the guy happens to drive by your clear like of sight, when you enter the plate pull up the photo and you can have a clear ID and know of it is the driver. This is in ideal conditions though..lighting, weather, tinting, etc obviously make that vary.

Again.... this isn't voodoo magic. Its just looking at a photo voluntarily given.

Caveat- for states that don't have photos, you would have to match up other info given, height weight , race, gender, etc. Etc.

Dave_pro2a

Note, none of the information is "data mined" by the NSA or FBI or secret ninjas in your closet.

Again, there is no data mining or ninjas. Its info you voluntarily give to RMV.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kers-havent-smoked-marijuana-three-years.html

The FBI could be set to reverse its policy of not hiring staff who have smoked marijuana in the past three years after struggling to recruit computer hackers....

The FBI announced last year that it was increasing its workforce and expanding its suspect-surveillance programmes.

It is thought these will include tactics more commonly associated with underground computer hackers and other tech-savvy criminals.

But as potential employees aren't allowed to have smoked the drug in the last three years, the agency say they now have a recruitment problem.

You don't know about current events, or developing technology, and you have zero imagination (for anything that might chip away at your idealistic view of our current authoritarian form of government).

But keep talking about Ninjas, that's cool.

Last edited:

hhofent

Oh, and if the guy happens to drive by your clear like of sight, when you enter the plate pull up the photo and you can have a clear ID and know of it is the driver. This is in ideal conditions though..lighting, weather, tinting, etc obviously make that vary.

Again.... this isn't voodoo magic. Its just looking at a photo voluntarily given.

Caveat- for states that don't have photos, you would have to match up other info given, height weight , race, gender, etc. Etc.

If you can pull up a photo from the plate, why bother asking for id upon approaching the vehicle in question?

Sent from an unspecified mobile phone using unspecified software.

Primus

If you can pull up a photo from the plate, why bother asking for id upon approaching the vehicle in question?

A few reasons. 1) your supposed to have ID on you when operating. I've NEVER cited for it, but it is a statute. 2) people change from photos and I make mistakes. I could think your Joe Snuffy because i think you look like him, but for all I know your his closely related brother who's wanted for murder. So instead of just assuming your Joe Snuffy, you ask for ID. Then if you give me ID for BO Snuffy and he's the murderer then ok. If not then, no harm no foul you were supposed to have it anyways so I'm not asking for any unreasonable, illegal demands.

If you don't/can't produce ID then basic questions off the info in RMV work paired with the photo.

hhofent

A few reasons. 1) your supposed to have ID on you when operating. I've NEVER cited for it, but it is a statute. 2) people change from photos and I make mistakes. I could think your Joe Snuffy because i think you look like him, but for all I know your his closely related brother who's wanted for murder. So instead of just assuming your Joe Snuffy, you ask for ID. Then if you give me ID for BO Snuffy and he's the murderer then ok. If not then, no harm no foul you were supposed to have it anyways so I'm not asking for any unreasonable, illegal demands.

If you don't/can't produce ID then basic questions off the info in RMV work paired with the photo.

Understandable.
Does vehicle insurance info come up in the system as well?

Primus

Understandable.
Does vehicle insurance info come up in the system as well?

Yes sir it does in ours. The registration status comes up. There are a few options. ACT meaning active registration active insurance, stolen, stolen plates, expired registration (still active insurance so just a citation no tow it criminal charges) etc. Etc.

Also on the same rmv screen it will list insurance info like the company and policy number. Its the SAME info you fill out and give to RMV is what pops up.

I do know RI is different. They don't have photos attached. At least as recent as about 3 years ago we had an AWOL kid in my NG unit. They tasked me to go "find" him and find out what the deal was. My obvious stop was with his PD to see if I could get a mailing address from their RMV. Well they had one (house was abandoned so bad address) but they didn't have a photo of the kid at all.

So in some states they don't have photos attached. Again, while the basics are the same, the details change state to state.

sudden valley gunner

How could he possibly know who was driving the vehicle just from the license plates? That's amazing....

Or they can lie like Officer Allen Bass did and say I was involved in a hit and run to get a copy of the license, because he has non PC, but didn't like the fact I was carrying a gun.

sudden valley gunner

While it may be reasonable to you that an individual would be carrying in a specific manner. However, I believe the cop has to assume you are following the law unless he has RAS that you are not. Plus I have carried unloaded in WA before, it only takes a second to become operational.

Thats the way I was thinking too, and recent court cases would seem to uphold the courts think that way too.

Grim_Night

Not necessarily. It might come under the same category as asking for a driver's license. Driving is a privilege, not a right after all.

Are you saying that carrying and possessing a firearm in your vehicle is a privilege and not a right?

It's already been covered in recent court cases regarding firearms that if somebody is performing an activity that requires a "license" to do lawfully, it must be assumed that the person is lawfully performing said activity. They cannot check to see if you have a license to drive just for the reason of checking to see that you have a license. Same with a CPL.

sudden valley gunner

Not necessarily. It might come under the same category as asking for a driver's license. Driving is a privilege, not a right after all.

Are you saying that carrying and possessing a firearm in your vehicle is a privilege and not a right?

It's already been covered in recent court cases regarding firearms that if somebody is performing an activity that requires a "license" to do lawfully, it must be assumed that the person is lawfully performing said activity. They cannot check to see if you have a license to drive just for the reason of checking to see that you have a license. Same with a CPL.

Yep.

Prouse vs Delaware on the Federal level.

Lammo had pointed out some cases on the local level. That had agreed with many of our assessment that someone cannot just assume one does not have a license to carry concealed. Regaldo vs state (a Florida decision) made the statement best when they said an officer cant determine something by "mere observation" so it does not create PC/RAS.

Lovenox

In California they can. I was talking with a cop on that website Policeone and I brought up the same argument you did and he cited California law where they can stop you to see if you have a valid drivers license.