• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's Jack in the Box?

Primus

I noticed sometimes the officer involved will get together and make sure their reports match. ;)

SVG, my naïve insight about how officer(s) has been shattered by your statement...tell me it isn't so. (sarcasm of course)

ipse

That's makes two of us. Trying to recover from that deep insight given. Not sure I'll he able to.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

sudden valley gunner

SVG, my naïve insight about how officer(s) has been shattered by your statement...tell me it isn't so. (sarcasm of course)

ipse

:lol:, love the humor.

Yep, we found up here in our encounters that things said to one officer out of ear shot of the others suddenly ends up in the report they write. The one that probably wasn't written until we asked for the reports.

Like when I asked an officer if he would provide me a reason for my detention, and he said "Not while you are recording me", Me...."why are you afraid you'll end up on youtube" (said in a joking manner).

His report and the officer who was off running my info's both reports claimed something to the effect that I shouted as I was walking away at the end of the encounter "You guys are going to be on Youtube tonight".

Testilying is alive and well.

stealthyeliminator

:lol:, love the humor.

Yep, we found up here in our encounters that things said to one officer out of ear shot of the others suddenly ends up in the report they write. The one that probably wasn't written until we asked for the reports.

Like when I asked an officer if he would provide me a reason for my detention, and he said "Not while you are recording me", Me...."why are you afraid you'll end up on youtube" (said in a joking manner).

His report and the officer who was off running my info's both reports claimed something to the effect that I shouted as I was walking away at the end of the encounter "You guys are going to be on Youtube tonight".

Testilying is alive and well.

lol. Didn't you have a video showing this wasn't the case, though? Sounds like they didn't think that through very well?

Javelina

My Bad :eek:

Have to disagree. A call number is generated. The call is built with basic info such as the type of call (domestic, disturbance, fight, medical call, shooting, assist citizen, suspicious activity, etc.)

That call is then filled initially with whatever info they have from the caller (or officer if initiated by them like say a traffic stop). So maybe a location, description of complaint, name of person calling and contact/ call back info.

The officer then goes based on that information. The officer can then CLEAR said call however they want (in accordance with dept. Policy since it can dictate that certain call types do require a report). No report is generated unless it is REQUESTED and assigned by the dispatch to said officer.

For example... Caller says there is someone suspicious standing outside. They don't have any info other then a location and description of them and their actions.

Officer arrives, see that its Joe Snuffy hanging out. Maybe he gets the guys name and runs his name. Then Joe Snuffy would be logged (if dispatch is on top of it), into the CALL notes that you had Joe Snuffy and his DOB. You chat for a second and see he's legal. So you tell him to have a great night. You leave and clear the call "assisted" or 04 for a clearance code. Even better... You DONT get his name. Well then there's no name to report.

Dispatch then clears call out with the code you tell them.

If you did a FOIA request you would get the dispatch call log. It would show time, date, location, original call notes, and then you'd see Joe snuffy's name and DOB (if he gave it). That's it. No field notes no reports, no Nada.

Nothing to report. You approached a guy named Joe Snuffy. He gave you a name and dob because he felt like it. You determined he wasn't bothering anyone and you left him. Done.

If i had to write a full friggin report on every call I went to in a night I'd never be able to leave at the end of my shift.

Now there is the OPTION to do a report. And this is very OC related. Say you have a group of guys OCing. Someone calls and complains. You show up determine they are all legal. Well you can do what we call a FIR. Or a field interview report. Its just a form of report saying you interacted with them and this is what you saw. We utilize that with our gangs a lot. You had a group of members standing on a corner. Well a call comes in they are disturbing. You show up get info and do a FIR saying you spoke with them any Intel you have. But that's a CHOICE.

Disclaimer: again department policy dictates what a report is needed for. So this will vary according to location. Some may require a report for a barking dog. Others may only require them for arrests/complaints.

The point is that statement "a report is always generated and they are lying if say it isn't " is completely false.

I may have mistaken an FIR for Reports in general. I have only been one one ride along thus far and with seeing the officer I was with type in info on his computer every time we went on a call I had assumed that all the info was getting thrown into a Report. You know what they say about assuming though ;) so my apologize. Primus, have you heard any info about all AZ OC people getting together for lunch of anything like that? It would be cool to meet you as well as all the other guys/gals.

Primus

I may have mistaken an FIR for Reports in general. I have only been one one ride along thus far and with seeing the officer I was with type in info on his computer every time we went on a call I had assumed that all the info was getting thrown into a Report. You know what they say about assuming though ;) so my apologize. Primus, have you heard any info about all AZ OC people getting together for lunch of anything like that? It would be cool to meet you as well as all the other guys/gals.

No apology necessary. Just wanted to clarify it up a bit for you. I hope it helped.

I'd gladly meet up but AZ is a couple thousand miles away from me im from MA. I'm pretty sure they are an active group and post meet ups under the events section.

Javelina

Thought you were in AZ

Haha I thought you were in AZ for some reason since I think I've seen you post in some of the AZ forms. Well if I ever happen to find myself in MA I will make sure to introduce myself.

Primus

Haha I thought you were in AZ for some reason since I think I've seen you post in some of the AZ forms. Well if I ever happen to find myself in MA I will make sure to introduce myself.

Yea I post everywhere. I tend not abide by the "if you don't live here you can't post in my sub-forum" rules.

Sounds like a plan. I'm always down for shooting then a beer (that order lol). And contrary to popular belief we do have a strong pro 2a crowd.

sudden valley gunner

lol. Didn't you have a video showing this wasn't the case, though? Sounds like they didn't think that through very well?

Actually I was bluffing to the copyphone battery had died. I did a little clip of the Officer Slodysko standing away from me radioing my info, no sound came through. I went and got a more reliable voice recorder for back up after that.

I don't understand the mindset of some cops, there are hundreds of videos they know they are being videoed/recorded and yet they still break the law and act like buffoons.