Thread: Democratic Florida Rep. Joe Garcia, ‘We’ve Proved That Communism Works’

Democratic Florida Rep. Joe Garcia, ‘We’ve Proved That Communism Works’

“Let me give you an example, the kind of money we’ve poured in,” he said. “So the most dangerous — sorry, the safest city in America is El Paso, Texas. It happens to be across the border from the most dangerous city in the Americas, which is Juarez. Right?”

“And two of the safest cities in America, two of them are on the border with Mexico,” Garcia continued. “And of course, the reason is we’ve proved that Communism works. If you give everybody a good, government job, there’s no crime.”
    http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/21/de...mmunism-works/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

sounds legit to me.... DMV is a great example.

This man was voted to the House of Representatives. I think we've proved that voting doesn't work.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

They have proved that democracy/voting does work for them. Our Founding Fathers knew all along that democracy was doom.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    This man was voted to the House of Representatives. I think we've proved that voting doesn't work.
    If "voting doesn't work," what procedure do you recommend that we use to choose those whom we want to represent us?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    If "voting doesn't work," what procedure do you recommend that we use to choose those whom we want to represent us?
    The system that the Ancient Greeks used for nearly a thousand years could do no worse and worked for them for a long time. We still use it to select jurors. Sortiri, kloterion, pinakia, demarchy or kleristocracy.

http://www.constitution.org/elec/sortition.htm

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The system that the Ancient Greeks used for nearly a thousand years could do no worse and worked for them for a long time. We still use it to select jurors. Sortiri, kloterion, pinakia, demarchy or kleristocracy.

http://www.constitution.org/elec/sortition.htm
    So... you would have a congressional representative chosen by lottery? Since each congressman represents ~800,000 people in a district, would everyone in the district stand an equal chance of being picked? If someone is picked that does not wish to serve, what then? (The example in your cite about this being used for jury member selection has it's own drawbacks -- most people do not want to serve on a jury and try hard to avoid it.) Does a lottery system take into account the mental capacities of those in the pool, or their knowledge or experience?

Didn't I hear somewhere that the founding fathers expected our "Best and Brightest" to be called to serve in our government? How does that square up with picking someone at random from the general population?

The system created by the founders is a very good system, some say the best in the history of the world. I suggest that it has been allowed to become corrupted, but throwing out the voting franchise is not, IMHO, the solution. What we need to do is to fix the current system, and that discussion would take a lot longer than I currently have time to post.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

unders is a very good system, some say the best in the history of the world. I suggest that it has been allowed to become corrupted, but throwing out the voting franchise is not, IMHO, the solution. What we need to do is to fix the current system, and that discussion would take a lot longer than I currently have time to post.
    The Founding Fathers system was not of universal enfranchisement, and, to that extent, it has been corrupted.

Appealing to the history-of-the-world is rank historicism, the fallacious historiography enabled by Hegel/Marx's dialectic. You need to read more and more deeply and post more concisely. Remember, the three C's - Clear, Concise and Korrect. History is written by the victors that are the-powers-that-be now and your teachers.

Karl Popper directly addressed historicism in his The Poverty of Historicism, that he argued in The Open Society and Its Enemies (that George Soros finds so meaningful).

I don't know but what we have now sucks. Of course, we're such an ignorant, venal, and anti-intellectual people that nothing is going make a big difference, IMO.

That said, I don't think you should vote if you can't take care of yourself. I don't think you should vote if you get paid by tax payers. I don't think you should vote while you have a government contract. That might make things a little better.
    Last edited by 77zach; 05-23-2014 at 12:14 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    That said, ... I don't think you should vote if you get paid by tax payers.... That might make things a little better.
    Whoo, not even military is enfranchised?

Obama blames Founding Fathers’ ‘structural’ design ...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ress-gridlock/

... structural design of Congress for gridlock, but no buck stops under his desk.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Perhaps by voluntary contract, in the same manner that all of my other representatives and agents are chosen?
    Advocate freedom please

I propose the following, and I get shot down every time: we should continue with our current system, but with a caveat. Whenever voter approval ratings (surveys divided by region, and applied to the given representative), for any elected official, drop below 40%, said elected official is either publicly executed, or they may volunteer to work for free, until their approval rating has reached above 70%. If the approval rating has not reached that cusp by the end of their term, refer back to punishment one.

I even have a name for it. We could call it The Sword of Damocles Clause.
    Last edited by Gallowmere; 05-23-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    "Now, why believe in anything they praise,
    When one hand holds them the victor,
    While the other holds the shovel to their graves?"
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

Democratic Florida Rep. Joe Garcia, ‘We’ve Proved That Communism Works’

Nevermind
    Last edited by DrakeZ07; 05-24-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.