• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carriers strike again

nobama

I have wondered this for a long time. What if everybody who carries a handgun legally, and who lives in a state that allows it, open carried? seriously, what if? and why don't more people do it when they claim to stand for gun rights? never understood this.

Javelina

I have wondered this for a long time. What if everybody who carries a handgun legally, and who lives in a state that allows it, open carried? seriously, what if? and why don't more people do it when they claim to stand for gun rights? never understood this.

I ask myself the same thing, but I think most of it is that people are ignorant of gun laws. For example, in Arizona anyone who is not a convicted felon and is 18+ may open carry, once you become 21+ you can conceal with or without a CCW. That and I also believe that many live in a fantasy world where the law enforcement responds in 10 seconds flat and the worst part is many may not see the importance of being armed until it is to late, there's no do overs when put in a life or death situation.

FreeInAZ

Many people live in a false reality. They "feel" that their cell phone is enough. They "feel" that taking guns away from the lawful citizens will somehow stop violent crime. Hey I "feel" that I should have my own star ship, circa (1970's star trek), and all cute women across the solar system should long for my companionship.. but hey, feeling that way has nothing to do with how improbable it really is! Here's a video from our Canadian friends to the north. They have made it very difficult for the average citizen to protect themselves effectively, let us see how well "just dial 911, the cops will take care of it!" is working for them...:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsgVtpWmMOc

Ooops close but wrong country :p

[video=youtube;OsgVtpWmMOc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsgVtpWmMOc[/video]

Last edited:

Bernymac

*snipped
That and I also believe that many live in a fantasy world where the law enforcement responds in 10 seconds flat and the worst part is many may not see the importance of being armed until it is to late, there's no do overs when put in a life or death situation.

Even if that fantasy were true, I'm sure that a bullet travels much faster than that :lol:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
maybe you should start listening to your fellow gun owners.
Good advice, why do you not try it?

I am curious, g21sfpistol, what is your real beef with open-carry?......... Or is there something else about it that bugs you?

You believe you can draw your weapon from concealed faster than someone who open carrys, you have disdain for those of us who do OC, so just why are you here wasting bandwidth? And, please, answer Peter, I, too, am curious.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I take it from his SN he is a Glock fanboy, and his attitude is pervasive on Glock sites. I was making headway on glock forum until I got booted off. Seems any post that references common sense is a insult, maybe so for fanboys since they do not seem to have any.

woolbright

I saw a great response to this on another post. About get OC out in the public. This is how the liberals made LGBT community socially acceptable to the point were you have to make wedding cakes and go to sensitivity training if you disagree. Forcing it into the publics face; figuratively of course is the only way.

Elm Creek Smith

And then there are the glass houses...

bead.jpg

checkpointguns3.jpg

I didn't have a problem with the first picture or the fourth and those after. The second picture, though, shows an officer using the optic on his rifle/carbine as binoculars. Sorry, speed, but this ain't Afghanistan, and the people in the houses around you ain't the Taliban. If he was mine, I'd discipline him. In the third picture, either the guy in the car is a real bad-ass (since he doesn't seem distressed by someone pointing an M4 at him) or the police officer pointing the M4 at him is known to be an idiot. If the car guy is a bad-ass, no problem. If the officer is an idiot, again, I'd discipline him if he were mine.

For the first photo, I'd have to know what carbine ammo is issued before getting het up about over penetration.

Elm Creek Smith

http://www.thebangswitch.com/open-carry-activists-strike-again/

maybe you should start listening to your fellow gun owners.

The article was written by a law enforcement officer who is armed due to his job. Equating an armed LEO to a "fellow gun owner" is not always true. In fact, many (not most) LEOs consider themselves a class apart from "civilians" who are too stupid or too untrustworthy to carry firearms. (Watch the video of the DEA agent shooting himself in the foot with a GLOCK, again.)

If Texas would just pass even licensed open carry, I think you'd see fewer shotguns and rifles getting toted into fast food restaurants.

WalkingWolf

I didn't have a problem with the first picture or the fourth and those after. The second picture, though, shows an officer using the optic on his rifle/carbine as binoculars. Sorry, speed, but this ain't Afghanistan, and the people in the houses around you ain't the Taliban. If he was mine, I'd discipline him. In the third picture, either the guy in the car is a real bad-ass (since he doesn't seem distressed by someone pointing an M4 at him) or the police officer pointing the M4 at him is known to be an idiot. If the car guy is a bad-ass, no problem. If the officer is an idiot, again, I'd discipline him if he were mine.

For the first photo, I'd have to know what carbine ammo is issued before getting het up about over penetration.
The picture of the CHP officer is from the Dorner manhunt, ya know the black guy in a dark pickup truck.

Elm Creek Smith

The picture of the CHP officer is from the Dorner manhunt, ya know the black guy in a dark pickup truck.

So, the guy in the car under the gun is neither black nor is the car a dark pickup truck. He must be thinking, "How stupid is this moron with the rifle? Do I LOOK like a black man? Does this LOOK like a pickup truck?"

The CHIP should have been fired or at the very least disciplined. Sheesh.

sudden valley gunner

He used force. In the real world force would be replied with force, except they are so brutal with their violence the people know they won't live long responding how humans should to someone pointing a gun at them without warrant.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Good advice, why do you not try it?

You believe you can draw your weapon from concealed faster than someone who open carrys, you have disdain for those of us who do OC, so just why are you here wasting bandwidth? And, please, answer Peter, I, too, am curious.

He might believe it and it might be true depending. The speed of a draw is dependent on many factors experience , training and practice are the most telling. Also the stimulus for drawing has a huge factor in speed.

Then comes holsters/type of retention, belts, clothing, position of them. They all add up to the speed or lack there of in a draw.

Over the years I seen plenty of fumble draws both from open carry rigs and concealed rigs.

How fast a draw is made really comes down to the person his experience and equipment more then the type of carry.

OC for ME

And then there are the glass houses...

checkpointguns3.jpg
Just noticed the Stay-Puff Man in the background.

Anyway. The good deputy is anti-OC, and anti-liberty because he is anti-OC, contrary to his peas to the contrary, his words, and comments in the comment section are proof of this. Please note that the comments are from about two weeks ago and now that "new" information regarding the real facts of the visit are known there has been nothing from the good deputy. Another cop who is "for" the 2A as long as it is exercised his way.

The OP must be a masochist.

JustaShooter

He might believe it and it might be true depending. The speed of a draw is dependent on many factors experience , training and practice are the most telling. Also the stimulus for drawing has a huge factor in speed.

Then comes holsters/type of retention, belts, clothing, position of them. They all add up to the speed or lack there of in a draw.

Over the years I seen plenty of fumble draws both from open carry rigs and concealed rigs.

How fast a draw is made really comes down to the person his experience and equipment more then the type of carry.

All things being equal, I still call shenanigans. Equally fast in some circumstances, but not faster. Nope.

Firearms Iinstuctor

All things being equal, I still call shenanigans. Equally fast in some circumstances, but not faster. Nope.

To many variables to make a hard fast statement.

Take the same gun ,same holster same person same simulation.

You should be able to determine if that combination is faster one way or another.

Different weapons, different holsters, different people one could very well be faster then the other all the time.

Primus

You should be able to determine if that combination is faster one way or another.

Different weapons, different holsters, different people one could very well be faster then the other all the time.

I agree.

Especially since some guys run higher level retention holsters when ocing.

When I cc I appendix carry with a nano holster. Very little retention and gun is in very easy reach.

When ocng its in a serpa. I train and shoot competitively with that set up so the retention really doesn't hinder me.

When on duty I use one of those crash level 3 or 4 holsters. With top strap then push button on side action.

I guarantee I'm faster from concealed then I am with my duty holster. But really we are talking fractions of a second here to almost a moot point.

Also, "concealed" is a key variable. When I conceal all I have is a lite t shirt on in the summer. Not much material in the way. In the winter now usually involves a jacket or thicker material. So this obviously changes draw and times.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Bernymac

I agree.

Especially since some guys run higher level retention holsters when ocing.

When I cc I appendix carry with a nano holster. Very little retention and gun is in very easy reach.

When ocng its in a serpa. I train and shoot competitively with that set up so the retention really doesn't hinder me.

When on duty I use one of those crash level 3 or 4 holsters. With top strap then push button on side action.

I guarantee I'm faster from concealed then I am with my duty holster. But really we are talking fractions of a second here to almost a moot point.

Also, "concealed" is a key variable. When I conceal all I have is a lite t shirt on in the summer. Not much material in the way. In the winter now usually involves a jacket or thicker material. So this obviously changes draw and times.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Then you guys are just not as good as Gecko21...in its own mind, it rocks the awesome! It calls them, its truth!