• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should convicted felons be allowed to bear arms?

wimwag

So, solid, joesparky, hhofent??, and Doug aka Nightmare...

You seem to take issue with my reporting a convicted felon in possession of firearms and cite no valid reason for actually objecting, leading me to assume it's just a personal grudge.

Staying on topic, should convicted felons be allowed to keep and bear arms? Make your case or exit the debate. Simply resorting to name calling and pursuing a personal vendetta is not debate and I won't be participating in it.

Its pathetic that you object to me bearing arms when I haven't been convicted for any crime which would bar me from owning and possessing firearms, but lobby for the "rights" of convicted felons. Do you really think you can have it both ways? Your opinions and emotions do not trump my civil rights. So, make a case.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Haven't we had this discussion before?

If they are too dangerous to carry arms, then they should not be walking amongst us - so say some.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Haven't we had this discussion before?

If they are too dangerous to carry arms, then they should not be walking amongst us - so say some.

Another argument not noted: Because a felony can be almost anything the gov't wants it to be.

Ex: Illinois .. made littering a felony

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1605&ChapterID=36
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0483.pdf

Even tossing a cig butt out the window ? Many people do this at least once a day !

A third or subsequent violation, committed after a second conviction is a Class 4 felony. 415 ILCS 105/8

We are all felons .... just waiting to be convicted

OC Freedom

Yes, they should be allowed to bear arms. When the state convicts and issues punishment for ones crimes and that punishment is completed then ones debt to society is complete. The permanent loss of ones rights after serving the sentence is wrong. I have not read in the 2nd Amendment where it states the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed unless you are a convicted felon or live in New York, DC, Kalifornia, or etc. Any infringement of owning or possessing firearms is illegal by my reading of Bill of Rights and by the writings of our founders on what the 2nd Amendment means.

Keep the lawyer mumbo jumbo out of it. The 2nd Amendment is very clear and so were our founders.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

The article cited lists the following "real-life" dangers we all face every day:

► Violation of Foreign Law (The Lacey) Act
► Federal Wilderness Act
► Honest Services Fraud
► Espionage Act
► Obstruction of Justice
► Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
► Wire Fraud
► Providing Material Support for Terrorists
► False Statements to a Federal Official

If the hypotheticals and anecdotal charges were actually a pervasive problem, we would all be up in arms about them. Yet, how many of us have ever heard of, much less known of anyone who has ever been charged with these federal felonies?

There is sufficient reason to be aware of all of the state and local laws of which we might run afoul, but to feed the paranoia of those who suspect that government exists only to catch us breaking one of their laws is just, well, unreal.

The foregoing is not to say that all of us should not make certain that we know the laws with which we come into contact every day -- most importantly the state and local laws concerning the right to carry and be secure in our person, papers and property from unwarranted search and seizure. To load a pile of paranoid crap that we might be committing federal felonies every day is just tin-foil-hat material.

IMHO.

Primus

The article cited lists the following "real-life" dangers we all face every day:

► Federal Wilderness Act
► Honest Services Fraud
► Espionage Act
► Obstruction of Justice
► Wire Fraud

If the hypotheticals and anecdotal charges were actually a pervasive problem, we would all be up in arms about them. Yet, how many of us have ever heard of, much less known of anyone who has ever been charged with these federal felonies?

There is sufficient reason to be aware of all of the state and local laws of which we might run afoul, but to feed the paranoia of those who suspect that government exists only to catch us breaking one of their laws is just, well, unreal.

The foregoing is not to say that all of us should not make certain that we know the laws with which we come into contact every day -- most importantly the state and local laws concerning the right to carry and be secure in our person, papers and property from unwarranted search and seizure. To load a pile of paranoid crap that we might be committing federal felonies every day is just tin-foil-hat material.

IMHO.

Well said. +1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Fallschirjmäger

No, felons shouldn't be allowed to bear arms; at least not unless there is a possibility that their lives could be endangered before the arrival of some government agent with a specific legal duty to protect that felon's life. And since the police do Not have a specific duty and have not created any special relationship......

Primus

I'll take a stab, for VIOLENT felony convictions then negative. For non violent crimes , say larceny from a building, then no.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

► Federal Wilderness Act
► Honest Services Fraud
► Espionage Act
► Obstruction of Justice
► Wire Fraud

IMHO.

Further, in hind sight is somewhat off-topic - I'm referring to the original post by Nightmare:
http://www.threefeloniesaday.com/You...6/Default.aspx

Last edited:

OC Freedom

I'll take a stab, for VIOLENT felony convictions then negative. For non violent crimes , say larceny from a building, then no.

I refer you to my first post, but I agree that I do not want violent felons convicted of having firearms. My feelings or what I think that the way things should be does not trump the 2nd Amendment The Amendment is very clear and so is our founders intent by their own words. "No infringement". The Bill of Rights were written simply and clearly for all people of various educational levels to understand. Lets put our personal feelings aside and ask ourselves does the 2nd give felons that served their time the right to keep and bear arms.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Its pathetic that you object to me bearing arms when I haven't been convicted for any crime which would bar me from owning and possessing firearms, but lobby for the "rights" of convicted felons. Do you really think you can have it both ways? Your opinions and emotions do not trump my civil rights. So, make a case.

Why are you worried about people saying that you should not own guns? I get this all the time in my state .. been called a "terrorist", "monster", and all sorts of names by public officials.

I pay them no mind.

Freedom1Man

I refer you to my first post, but I agree that I do not want violent felons convicted of having firearms. My feelings or what I think that the way things should be does not trump the 2nd Amendment The Amendment is very clear and so is our founders intent by their own words. "No infringement". The Bill of Rights were written simply and clearly for all people of various educational levels to understand. Lets put our personal feelings aside and ask ourselves does the 2nd give felons that served their time the right to keep and bear arms.

The second amendment grant no rights, the bill of rights grants no rights, instead it only affirms those rights that existed before the creation of government.

So, why should someone who has been deemed safe to release into society be stripped of their basic right of self defense and the defense of others?

wimwag

Another argument not noted: Because a felony can be almost anything the gov't wants it to be.

Ex: Illinois .. made littering a felony

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1605&ChapterID=36

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0483.pdf

Even tossing a cig butt out the window ? Many people do this at least once a day !

A third or subsequent violation, committed after a second conviction is a Class 4 felony. 415 ILCS 105/8

We are all felons .... just waiting to be convicted

That is truly messed up.

I believe an officer making them pick it up and then fining them is punishment enough. And embarrassing.

wimwag

Why are you worried about people saying that you should not own guns? I get this all the time in my state .. been called a "terrorist", "monster", and all sorts of names by public officials.

I pay them no mind.

Because when you change your ways there's always somebody trying to knock you back down. It gets old after a while. I've worked hard to change the way I react and breaking old habits is the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm damn proud of it.

WalkingWolf

Felons are allowed to own guns in most of the country. They are not restricted by federal law from buying antique firearms.

Just to add my own spin, I would much rather a convicted felon who has become a law abiding citizen have a gun, than police that shoot innocent people. Keep in mind this is not all police, but it does seem to be accepted since 9/11.

I also would rather to see a felon armed than some OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) nut cases, that are wound to tight. There is no way to keep guns out of the hands of criminals because some criminals have not been caught and convicted.

Our POTUS has used cocaine which is a felony. Yet others who have been caught have lost their rights forever, I fail to see the sense in that especially since our POTUS is the one who has actually been responsible for the deaths of many innocent lives. Including women and children.

Last edited: