• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry no permit?

The Truth

We will be going back for St. Patty's Day festivities next year! I thought Tybee was pretty cool, but I will be more prepared next time with my VA CHP and any necessary permit so that I may carry in GA as well. The further North I got on the drive home the less oppressed I felt, and once I crossed into VA there was a huge weight lifted off my chest. One really cannot understand the feeling of freedom/lack thereof until one takes the drive from a free state to another state which does not recognize one's rights quite as clearly. Oppression is the only word I can think of to use!

Marco

I'm driving from VA to Tybee Island, GA today. I can open carry in NC and VA, except I am REQUIRED to open carry in my vehicle in NC, then once I get to SC it is REQUIRED to be in my glovebox, then once I get to GA it sounds like I must unload the gun, put it in a case, and I'm still researching to see if I can even move the gun from my truck to my beach house rental property. I honestly can't believe how stingy the carry laws are in SC/GA. I do not have my CHP yet.

/vent
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions
(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

The Truth

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions
(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

Thanks Marco!

Fallschirjmäger

How does the law pertain to motorcycles? Once I dismount, am I in violation?
Without a license or other exemption, yes. You would be reduced to either 'transporting' a handgun ("... in a case and unloaded") or carrying a long arm (a bit unwieldy).

The license is inexpensive after the first issue and as Georgia is a "Shall Issue" state there's very little besides a criminal record that would prevent a qualified individual from getting one.