• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fredericksburg PD to wear body cameras

TFred

Not the most convenient models they could have chosen, but interesting development, nonetheless.

TFred

Body cameras are newest addition to FPD arsenal

camera-300x200.jpg

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Not the most convenient models they could have chosen, but interesting development, nonetheless.

TFred

Body cameras are newest addition to FPD arsenal

camera-300x200.jpg

So.... do WE get to shine our 1500 lumen tactical led flashlight into the camera's lens, like some LEOs have begun doing when being recorded by us?

Actually, since we have been trained by the best to remain calm and to express our rights in the face of what some may term badgering, I suspect that we will welcome a visual and audible record of the contact, consensual or otherwise.

I wonder if all of the recorded video and audio is automatically transmitted to a server? According to the article, the LEO has the ability to record or not record a contact. To me this means that we must always be prepared to make our own recording.

Repeater

So.... do WE get to shine our 1500 lumen tactical led flashlight into the camera's lens, like some LEOs have begun doing when being recorded by us?

Actually, since we have been trained by the best to remain calm and to express our rights in the face of what some may term badgering, I suspect that we will welcome a visual and audible record of the contact, consensual or otherwise.

I wonder if all of the recorded video and audio is automatically transmitted to a server? According to the article, the LEO has the ability to record or not record a contact. To me this means that we must always be prepared to make our own recording.

According to Taser:
What to do with the data?

With AXON Flex, the agency chooses what to do with the data. You can download the files locally to your own data storage system, or upload to EVIDENCE.com, TASER’s hosted digital evidence management solution. With EVIDENCE.com, you can easily store, retrieve and share your digital evidence… all from one secure location.

So, gee, Taser International is offering cloud storage for LEO Encounters. Wonderful.

Does this remind you of Google Glass?
officer.png

Blk97F150

A related article:
http://www.wric.com/story/25595974/fredericksburg-police-carrying-new-body-cameras

Every Fredericksburg City Police officer is now armed with a body camera - replacing dashboard cameras that were in squad cars.

So the body camera will replace the dash cam? And the officer can choose to turn on/turn off recording? I think this would be a much better idea if it was 'in addition to' the dashboard camera...(which, as I understand it, records any time the cars emergency lights are activated) and if the officer had no control over the recording for the body camera (although I recognize that brings its own set of concerns...).

Officers don't have to tell you you're being recorded but police insist they won't violate your privacy.

"The officer is not going to record a random conversation," Bledsoe says.

Yeah, the old 'Trust us.... we won't abuse your rights' line.... :eek:

Last edited:

Maverick9

We have a Sheriff's dept, which is better than PD. The Staties around here are really under-trained wrt carry. PD in F-burg? "Oh, it came unplugged!".

Actually depends on if the recording goes to the cloud and can't be erased.

Oh, wait - get this:

Officers will not be activating the cameras for every random conversation or minor citizen encounter, and recordings that are not useful for evidence or training will automatically be purged from the storage system after thirty days.

They have to manually activate it. That's ridiculous. They'll never be turned on in a pinch.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

We have a Sheriff's dept, which is better than PD. The Staties around here are really under-trained wrt carry. PD in F-burg? "Oh, it came unplugged!".

Actually depends on if the recording goes to the cloud and can't be erased.

It appears to be local 'on the camera' recording that needs to be downloaded to a server when the officers return to the station. ('oops. Sorry Chief, I forgot to download that video of me 'subduing' that citizen repeatedly! :uhoh:)

From the second linked article posted above:

Each camera system holds 10 hours of video and every day it's downloaded to a server.

"It's automatically purged from that server after 30 days unless the officer chooses to save it," Bledsoe says. "We are really hoping this is going to help us."

Btw, when the police say 'we hope its going to help us'..... I don't think they are including the general public in that 'us'. :eek:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Why do we care. I've been wearing cameras for years....let the cops do it, it's only sporting or as I said to one who was talking to Grapeshot and asked if I was finished yet......"Why do you care. Are you planning on doing something you don't want on the 6:00 news?"

Repeater

It appears to be local 'on the camera' recording that needs to be downloaded to a server when the officers return to the station. ('oops. Sorry Chief, I forgot to download that video of me 'subduing' that citizen repeatedly! :uhoh:)

From the second linked article posted above:

Btw, when the police say 'we hope its going to help us'..... I don't think they are including the general public in that 'us'. :eek:

We hope its going to help us ... Sure; what about also helping the citizens, too?

"To Protect and Serve" .... whom?

"It's a cookbook!" -- if you catch the reference.

Marco

Why do we care. I've been wearing cameras for years....let the cops do it, it's only sporting or as I said to one who was talking to Grapeshot and asked if I was finished yet......"Why do you care. Are you planning on doing something you don't want on the 6:00 news?"
1+
But, if they are going to use them the officer should be required to have it running for their entire shift, except lavatory breaks.

hhofent

1+
But, if they are going to use them the officer should be required to have it running for their entire shift, except lavatory breaks.

I agree. And anytime the cameras off when it's required to be on should be grounds for immediate termination.

Sent from an unspecified mobile phone using unspecified software.

Blk97F150

1+

Agreed. And that video should be made available in any criminal cases the officer is involved in.