• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fredericksburg PD to wear body cameras

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why do we care. I've been wearing cameras for years....let the cops do it, it's only sporting or as I said to one who was talking to Grapeshot and asked if I was finished yet......"Why do you care. Are you planning on doing something you don't want on the 6:00 news?"
Don't care one way or the other whether they record/film me, but if they do, I want them to get my good side :)

It would actually please me greatly if they recorded 24/7 while on duty or engaged in official conduct.

Liberty-or-Death

I have seen these "shoulder thingies" before. It had a laser in it.

Me too.

movies_from_the_80_20.jpg

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Don't care one way or the other whether they record/film me, but if they do, I want them to get my good side :)
It would actually please me greatly if they recorded 24/7 while on duty or engaged in official conduct.

the side your "purdy gun" is on?

;>)
Is there any other? :lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why do we care. I've been wearing cameras for years....let the cops do it, it's only sporting or as I said to one who was talking to Grapeshot and asked if I was finished yet......"Why do you care. Are you planning on doing something you don't want on the 6:00 news?"

The reason to care is that by making the recording it is a public record, subject to several state laws and multiple regulations regarding storage, retention, and access to public inspection as well as availability for discovery. The whole "we didn't know we had to keep it, if in fact we actually recorded it even though we reviewed it" thing would have made life a bit easier.

Having the option to delete a recording will be addressed to the FPD Chief and the city attorney. We'll see iof they have any interest.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ashland
http://www.herald-progress.com/?p=16074

The department also purchased cameras, which will be mounted on the collars of patrol officers. The department settled on the collar-mount model because the higher camera angle allows for greater visibility as opposed to chest-mount devices, which can be obstructed by a steering wheel or an officer’s movements in the field.

“We would use this in traffic stops, just as we would use our in-car cameras now, for suspicious situations, field interviews and anytime an officer feels like it might be important for evidence purposes,” Menzies said.
When an officer returns to the station, they can put the camera on a dock that uploads the video stream to an online cloud-based system that stores the footage for future use in criminal cases.

Repeater

The reason to care is that by making the recording it is a public record, subject to several state laws and multiple regulations regarding storage, retention, and access to public inspection as well as availability for discovery. The whole "we didn't know we had to keep it, if in fact we actually recorded it even though we reviewed it" thing would have made life a bit easier.

Having the option to delete a recording will be addressed to the FPD Chief and the city attorney. We'll see iof they have any interest.

stay safe.

I would hope most of us care.

Similar to this is recording vehicles. That also should be a public record, subject to FOIA.

See this reporter's experience:

Prompted by Watchdog.org story, Virginian finds police photos of his vehicle, home
When 28-year-old Alexandria resident David Hotle read Watchdog.org’s story about the images the Alexandria Police Department had randomly captured of one reporter’s vehicle with automatic license plate readers, it struck home.

“It was, wow, this is happening in my hometown,” Hotle said in an interview with Watchdog.org in front of Alexandria City Hall. “I knew it was being used. I didn’t know how prevalent it was.”

Hotle, who has a background in digital imaging, a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering and just finished his MBA, wanted to know what images his same police department might have of his car.

So he filed a request under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act with the Alexandria Police Department for any photographs or tracking data of his vehicle collected using automatic license plate reader technology.

About a week later, the police responded to his request. Hotle wasn’t quite prepared for what he found.