• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So now kids can get in trouble for drawing a picture of something that resembled a gu

stealthyeliminator

Wow. Kids should not be subjected to such 'schools'

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the psychology of children, but what do you think an incident like this teaches a child? They draw a picture of a gun, probably with completely harmless intentions, not even consider the political climate surrounding firearms, and then they get reprimanded by a teacher who is supposed to be an authority figure, and then their parents have to step in and object to the decision of the supposed authority figure... What are they going to decide about the authority of the teacher going forward.. What are they going to decide about the authority of their parents going forward.. What are they going to think about firearms going forward.. Are they going to think that firearms are now a tool to be used for the purpose of stirring the pot, getting attention, rebelling against 'authority', etc, rather than a tool for self defense?

Hopefully the parents teach him about these issues since the school is obviously not.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

It's not like clouds resemble certain objects from time to time.
gun-shaped-cloud-spotted-over-school.jpg

SNIP...they get reprimanded by a teacher who is supposed to be an authority figure, and then their parents have to step in and object to the decision of the supposed authority figure... What are they going to decide about the authority of the teacher going forward.. What are they going to decide about the authority of their parents going forward.. What are they going to think about firearms going forward.. Are they going to think that firearms are now a tool to be used for the purpose of stirring the pot, getting attention, rebelling against 'authority', etc, rather than a tool for self defense?

Hopefully the parents teach him about these issues since the school is obviously not.

PARENTS need to step up and do the parenting. Schools are in place to instill facts and figures, but reasoning, morality, and values begin at home.
Children can understand and be reasoned with at a young age, it's just a matter of having the patience to explain that not everything the teachers do is correct. The mentality of "they're too young to know about that" can be detrimental to the perception these kids grow up with.

In regards to "authority", I saw my first grade teacher throw a girl from our class against a filing cabinet, then immediately go into damage control mode (though I didn't realize it until years later). Taking advantage of the "I'm sorry" line, she calmed the crying little girl down and made us believe it was all acceptable because a "sorry" was doled out. The point of my little story is that parents need to really emphasize the difference between what falls under authority, and what is abuse of power. Same reason pedophiles turn out to be primarily "authority figures" in the lives of the children they harm, and they might've never understood what was going on was wrong, even if it felt "off".

Last edited: