Thread: France takes retreat to new level: Foreign operations near ‘impossible’

France takes retreat to new level: Foreign operations near ‘impossible’

"France is on the precipice of a dubious first: the inability to successfully conduct military operations abroad. Members of the top brass in the French army, navy and air force — as well as its joint chief of staff — have threatened to quit if the government continues to slash the defense budget, the non-partisan think tank The Atlantic Council reported Friday.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-say-more-cut/

Obama is consulting.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

In all fairness, France has done more than enough ass kicking to last a few more centuries. In fact, their track record, by percentage of victories, is far greater than the US. I'm not entirely sure where the whole "run away" joke came from, but it's historically dishonest.
    "Now, why believe in anything they praise,
    When one hand holds them the victor,
    While the other holds the shovel to their graves?"
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

Banned
    Dang it! I was relying on the French .... (for nothing).

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    In all fairness, France has done more than enough ass kicking to last a few more centuries. In fact, their track record, by percentage of victories, is far greater than the US. I'm not entirely sure where the whole "run away" joke came from, but it's historically dishonest.
    Short memories, same as the idea that CC and not OC is the gentleman's mode of carry.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

The WW-II Fall of France's Third Republic took 43 days despite the expensive Maginot Line. The Vichy Regime and Marshal Philippe Petain collaborated in authoritarian regime.

The French and de Gaulle are blamed for Dunkirk. Charles de Gaulle in particular inspired great irritation with his declaration that Paris had been "liberated by her own people, with the help of the armies of France, with the help and support of the whole of France, that is to say of fighting France, that is to say of the true France, the eternal France," with no mention of either the Allied invasion or the Vichy French military contribution to the Axis' cause, was to be a long-term source of annoyance.

ETA: Don't forget France's VietNam and Algerian adventures.

During a televised debate, NBC news anchor Tom Brokaw asks Senator John Kerry:

BROKAW: Senator Kerry, what about the French? Are they friends? Are they enemies? Or something in-between at this point?
    KERRY: The French are the French.
    BROKAW: Very profound, senator.
    KERRY: Well, trust me, it has a meaning. And I think most people know exactly what I mean.
    http://www.rotten.com/library/cultur...-francophobia/

In his 1905 Life of Reason, Volume I 'Reason in Common Sense', George Santayana demanded we remember our "the past" or be doomed to repeat it.
    Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15000 http://www.gutenberg.org/author/George+Santayana)

He also forewarned US of the internet, "Even the most inspired verse, which boasts not without a relative justification to be immortal, becomes in the course of ages a scarcely legible hieroglyphic; the language it was written in dies, a learned education and an imaginative effort are requisite to catch even a vestige of its original force. Nothing is so irrevocable as mind." Ibid.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-23-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

In all fairness, France has done more than enough ass kicking to last a few more centuries.
    can you cite some examples in just the last 100 years ?