• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Open Carry Groups Issue Joint Statement on OC of Long Arms

JustaShooter

Come and Take It Texas, Texas Carry, Gun Rights Across America and Open Carry Texas Joint Statement on OC of Long Arms – May 21, 2014

FUQ:
Looking back, it has become clear that there is one area in which we have gotten the most resistance and suffered the largest setbacks: open carry of long arms into private businesses. This is not a new phenomenon. Early on, because of our efforts, the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) sent a message to all TABC licensees warning them about allowing our members to open carry into their businesses. This resulted in places like Smashburger asking us to leave our guns at home. Since then, Starbucks, Wendy’s, Jack In The Box, Applebees and most recently, Chipotle have come out asking we not carry our firearms into their establishments.

Whereas, our mission is to get open carry of handguns passed in Texas, we must once again adjust in a way that shines a positive light on our efforts, our members, and our respective organizations. We are humbly and emphatically imploring our members to cease taking long arms into corporate businesses unless invited. Black Powder revolvers have proven to be very effective and align with our goal of legalizing open carry with a handgun. We do understand that not everyone will be able to afford one, but if you can, we are requesting you do so. Almost every leader has gone to Black powder for a reason. It works.

Emphasis mine.

Saxxon

They are right in their observation as to the effect. The issue is that carrying a long gun isn't convenient like carrying a holstered handgun while conducting day to day business. Depending on the manner of carry it also incurs the appearance of holding the firearm in a user's grip as I have seen in some pictures - when carrying a handgun in a holster you NEVER are doing this at any time other than at a range, gun store or other place where handling of firearms is part of the business.

Now, if there was a riot in progresss I would say that open carry of a long gun is a very good idea as it allows one or several people to turn back a violent mob (hoepfully without having to fire). Open carrying a hunting arm etc in a place that is by an area one is hunting would also be a more routine thing.

Having one out in suburbia and taking it with you whlie shopping... Thats a lot of weight to carry along with the items you are purchasing.

WalkingWolf

NO crimes were committed while OCT were present, it drives the hoplophobes nuts. All they have is there constant whining, and paranoia.

All OCT did was streamline their plan to limit the idiots from trying to spread lies about peaceful and legal acts. Only a nut case is intimidated by inanimate object. Total loons are intimidated when they are not even there or in the same state.

I am amazed by how many people claim to be gun owners when they hate the second amendment.

Last edited:

Jack House

All OCT did was streamline their plan to limit the idiots from trying to spread lies about peaceful and legal acts. Only a nut case is intimidated by inanimate object. Total loons are intimidated when they are not even there or in the same state.t.
Indeed, people that claim to support gun rights need to stop twisting their words. All they are doing, as you said, is attempting to deny ammo to the bullies that seek pervert these events and slander good, honest people.

DaveT319

Only a nut case is intimidated by inanimate object.

How do you figure? Guns ARE intimidating because of their ability to cause great bodily harm or death. That's why pointing a gun at a bad guy is effective at stopping his criminal activity.

Now granted, a holstered or slung weapon should not in and of itself be intimidating. But a drawn and/or aimed gun IS in fact intimidating, as is a gun in use. And in both cases, it's still an inanimate object.

B

Bikenut

Let me see if I understand the whole Chipolte thing correctly.........

Bloomberg's anti gun group, Mom's Demand Action, picks a photo off the internet and uses it as a tool to force a business to capitulate to it's anti gun demands.

The business issues a carefully worded statement trying to walk a tightrope between angering gun owning customers, non gun owning customers, and MDA.

The general public swallows the whole scary "OH MY GAWD!!!! Look at those disgusting and dangerous fools with guns!" story and doesn't bother to do any research to discover that the business had given permission for the gun group to be there and that nothing happened... not one thing happened.... there was NOT any incident of any kind!... except a couple of guys posed for a picture.

Many gun owners who say they support the 2nd Amendment and don't want restrictions on the right to bear arms* swallows the whole scary "OH MY GAWD!!!! Look at those disgusting and dangerous fools with guns!" story and doesn't bother to do any research to discover that not only is open carry of a modern pistol illegal in Texas leaving the only legal way to open carry anything besides a black power revolver is to carry a long gun... but the business had given permission for the gun group to be there with their long guns and that nothing happened, not one thing happened, there was NOT any incident of any kind!... except a couple of guys with long guns posed for a picture... and those gun owners *start suggesting how long gun carry should be....... restricted.... in public.

The open carry group.. OCT... in Texas that held the open carry event then issues a statement strongly suggesting it's members not open carry long guns into businesses.

To sum up..... MDA ..... won. And some of us gun owners helped by turning on our own.

Last edited by a moderator:

OC for ME

Thinking the same thing. OCT has seems to made a choice and that choice seems to have been motivated by the response of the anti-liberty crowd. OCT should tread lightly from this point forward. The liberty minded can read too, even between the lines.

solus

yes, chalk it up for a win to Bloomburg mainly because organizationally Texas OCT didn't do the right damage control immediately after the incident hit, in fact if memory serves, the President of the organization came out and said the individuals who did this are renegades and a splinter faction of the main state group.

did i read anywhere in his statement where he contacted establishment's corp people to explain why they were open carrying long guns in the arranged group hug? did they try to get on the today show?

organizationally the OCT group lacks the resources and knowledge to respond and reach out to the proper influential people.

we lost because of a lack of chutzpah pure and simple.

remember john q public is gear'd to get their news in 30 sec bites. but i didn't see any type of explanation from the group whatsoever about the reason for the dog and pony show.

but the other businesses who have limited access to firearm carrying patrons, was mostly caused by those idiots who wanted their 15 minutes of fame and insisted on carrying their long guns, videoing their interaction(s) with LE, and then putting it on the internet. I am sure some are even bragging 'they are the ones who caused xyz establishment to restrict firearms'.

you say some contributed: here is daveT' recent posting a few postings below this one:

quote How do you figure? Guns ARE intimidating because of their ability to cause great bodily harm or death. That's why pointing a gun at a bad guy is effective at stopping his criminal activity.

Now granted, a holstered or slung weapon should not in and of itself be intimidating. But a drawn and/or aimed gun IS in fact intimidating, as is a gun in use. And in both cases, it's still an inanimate object. unquote

the fact is, anyone who makes these kinds of comment or thought how kute it was to positively comment and argue for the idiot's youtube videos w/their interaction w/police and how it violates our 2A right is unfortunately IMHO, responsible for the current state of affairs of feeding MDA our own.

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

How do you figure? Guns ARE intimidating because of their ability to cause great bodily harm or death. That's why pointing a gun at a bad guy is effective at stopping his criminal activity.

Now granted, a holstered or slung weapon should not in and of itself be intimidating. But a drawn and/or aimed gun IS in fact intimidating, as is a gun in use. And in both cases, it's still an inanimate object.

AND which MORON pointed a gun at a good guy in all of this?

NOT one OCT member to date has ever pointed a gun or aimed at anyone. Honestly are you a MDA member? It would make sense for your marital advice request upon your arrival. Being a female from MDA it would make sense that you would be trolling for anti feminist remarks, to spin those remarks to mislead the public.

Like keeping going the argument over a member who actually did do something illegal and point a gun at a person. NOT one intelligent sane gun owner would approve of such an act.

So have you been stirring the pot to go and report back to your mad mom buddies?

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

I'm not a spokesperson but this is what I believe is the gist of the statement:

Don't OC rifles in large chain store/restaurants without talking to management first, and if you DO OC in them, don't take pictures and post them online. The reason for preferring smaller local businesses is because they are not going to be as susceptible to pressure from control groups, and OC in them is not nearly as likely to make any sort of media. Now, I believe one of the reasons for doing anything at all to avoid the situation again is simply just because it distracts from the mission. It focuses people on the issue of long gun OC, when the long gun OC is primarily just being used as a tool to bring focus to the OC of handguns issue. Getting OC of handguns passed is the current primary mission, so far as I'm aware. OC of long guns just opens the door to conversation with people, and brings in spotlights which can hopefully be refocused onto the fact that handgun OC is not permitted, but should be. For instance, standing in line at a restaurant, the guy next to me asks "what kind of rifle is that?" Well, it's a _________, would you like a pamphlet explaining what we're doing and why we're here? One more person informed on the issue. Next. But, if the attention is all focused on the rifle, and can't be transferred to the issue of handgun OC, then our goal of educating the public of the issue is not being met.

I agree that it's a delicate issue. It's been stated numerous times that the two men in the picture at the Chipotle did not do anything wrong. So, it's not intended that any policy/tactics changes give that impression.

WalkingWolf

I'm not a spokesperson but this is what I believe is the gist of the statement:

Don't OC rifles in large chain store/restaurants without talking to management first, and if you DO OC in them, don't take pictures and post them online. The reason for preferring smaller local businesses is because they are not going to be as susceptible to pressure from control groups, and OC in them is not nearly as likely to make any sort of media. Now, I believe one of the reasons for doing anything at all to avoid the situation again is simply just because it distracts from the mission. It focuses people on the issue of long gun OC, when the long gun OC is primarily just being used as a tool to bring focus to the OC of handguns issue. Getting OC of handguns passed is the current primary mission, so far as I'm aware. OC of long guns just opens the door to conversation with people, and brings in spotlights which can hopefully be refocused onto the fact that handgun OC is not permitted, but should be. For instance, standing in line at a restaurant, the guy next to me asks "what kind of rifle is that?" Well, it's a _________, would you like a pamphlet explaining what we're doing and why we're here? One more person informed on the issue. Next. But, if the attention is all focused on the rifle, and can't be transferred to the issue of handgun OC, then our goal of educating the public of the issue is not being met.

I agree that it's a delicate issue. It's been stated numerous times that the two men in the picture at the Chipotle did not do anything wrong. So, it's not intended that any policy/tactics changes give that impression.

+1 many times!

Refocus on a strategy is not uncommon when in the right, trying to find the most effective way to complete a mission. We no longer use beach assaults in war, while they are not wrong they create a public relations nightmare due to the number of casualties. In Lexington the colonials learned a lesson that they put to good use. They were not wrong to stand up to the Brits, but they changed their strategy in how they did it.

What is clear among some so called pro second amendment folks, they are not pro second amendment. They are either intentionally trying to mislead, or caught in their own tiny world of what is appropriate for everybody. These people cause far more damage than MDA.

DaveT319

NOT one OCT member to date has ever pointed a gun or aimed at anyone. Honestly are you a MDA member? It would make sense for your marital advice request upon your arrival. Being a female from MDA it would make sense that you would be trolling for anti feminist remarks, to spin those remarks to mislead the public.

So have you been stirring the pot to go and report back to your mad mom buddies?

Wow, that is some serious crazy there. I mean, the delusion and paranoia it must take to come up with THAT drivel is astounding.

I actually pity you now. I guess I was right when I said you live in a fantasy world, because I have read the numerous stories of OCDO members having to point their guns at people. But apparently you're so wrapped up in trying to insult me that you couldn't keep track of reality anymore. What a shame.

WalkingWolf

Wow, that is some serious crazy there. I mean, the delusion and paranoia it must take to come up with THAT drivel is astounding.

I actually pity you now. I guess I was right when I said you live in a fantasy world, because I have read the numerous stories of OCDO members having to point their guns at people. But apparently you're so wrapped up in trying to insult me that you couldn't keep track of reality anymore. What a shame.

It is not a delusion that you have taken the side of MDA, it is not a delusion that you brought your marital problems to a gun site, it is no delusion that you admitted to rendering aid to police on more than one occasion. YOU insulted yourself, nobody told you to make the posts and statements you have. It is clear you are a anti liberty, anti responsibility, anti gun.

Plus when the light is shined on you you whimper and cry that you are being picked on when you have made your own accusations, tantrums and insults of others. You made your bed, dug your hole, wallow in it.

DaveT319

It is not a delusion that you have taken the side of MDA,
Yes, it is delusion, because I have not. Disagreeing with rifle open carry is not the same thing as siding with those twats.
it is not a delusion that you brought your marital problems to a gun site,
Yes, it is delusion, because I don't have "marital problems"; I had made the decision to carry, and wanted advice on how to help the wife accept it, which you immediately tried to turn around into something it wasn't. Not to mention the personal insults you hurled at me for no reason other than, apparently, to show how much of a d!ck you are.
it is no delusion that you admitted to rendering aid to police on more than one occasion.
"Admitted to rendering aid to police"?! You make it sound like it's something to be ashamed of... plus that's vastly different from the way you portrayed it previously, as me "following them around pretending to be a cop". See? Delusion.
It is clear you are a anti liberty, anti responsibility, anti gun.
And yet more delusion, because I am none of those things, except in your own head.

I am done with you. I will not respond to a single further comment of yours, and I hope you'll have the decency to leave me alone as well and not try to provoke a response or further try to insult or ridicule me.

Last edited:

solus

Yes, it is delusion, because I have not. Disagreeing with rifle open carry is not the same thing as siding with those twats.
Yes, it is delusion, because I don't have "marital problems"; I had made the decision to carry, and wanted advice on how to help the wife accept it, which you immediately tried to turn around into something it wasn't. Not to mention the personal insults you hurled at me for no reason other than, apparently, to show how much of a d!ck you are.
"Admitted to rendering aid to police"?! You make it sound like it's something to be ashamed of... plus that's vastly different from the way you portrayed it previously, as me "following them around pretending to be a cop". See? Delusion.
And yet more delusion, because I am none of those things, except in your own head.
I am done with you. I will not respond to a single further comment of yours, and I hope you'll have the decency to leave me alone as well and not try to provoke a response or further try to insult or ridicule me.

i'm sorry, you resort to insults over information you voluntarily provided of your own freewill in previous threads and posts, especially your comments where it is not an isolated incident(s) of interjecting yourself not once, but i think you said there were five times jumping into the middle things!

i did notice however, which surprised me, you did not get your panties into a twist when it was pointed out your inappropriate comments about the 'guns' which actually play into the bloomburg game plan so it must be a personal thing you are paranoid about from the comments from WW?

ipse

WalkingWolf

Solus he has been a crybaby from the start, who came here to whine, and be patted on the back. When it did not work out that he was the one who started throwing insults and continues to throw them all the while stomping his feet like a child. Everything he is crying about he freely gave up the information here. So if that is a insult to remind him then he indeed insulted himself.

DaveT319

i'm sorry, you resort to insults over information you voluntarily provided of your own freewill in previous threads and posts, especially your comments where it is not an isolated incident(s) of interjecting yourself not once, but i think you said there were five times jumping into the middle things!

i did notice however, which surprised me, you did not get your panties into a twist when it was pointed out your inappropriate comments about the 'guns' which actually play into the bloomburg game plan so it must be a personal thing you are paranoid about from the comments from WW?

ipse

I resorted to insults?! Only after HE mocked my marriage and me.

Again, yes, I have gotten involved in things where apparently pu$$ies like WW (and yourself?) would have stayed out of the way, much more concerned with their own "safety" than doing the right thing. Just because I won't sit back and allow bad stuff to happen is not the same as "following the police trying to play cop". But sure, go on thinking I'm out of line.

And I don't even understand the point you are trying to make in the second paragraph. Contrary to what WW seems to think, I am not antigun or anything of the sort. How he got that impression is beyond me. Not agreeing with long gun OC - even if it's the only option in a particular state - does not mean I'm antigun. It just means I have an opinion that is contrary to his. And carrying one in the low ready is not the "normal" way to carry one unless you are going to use it.

And I don't know how you can say I'm "paranoid" about comments from that guy when he has repeatedly insulted and belittled me completely unprovoked.

solus

I resorted to insults?! Only after HE mocked my marriage and me.

Again, yes, I have gotten involved in things where apparently pu$$ies like WW (and yourself?) would have stayed out of the way, much more concerned with their own "safety" than doing the right thing. Just because I won't sit back and allow bad stuff to happen is not the same as "following the police trying to play cop". But sure, go on thinking I'm out of line.

And I don't even understand the point you are trying to make in the second paragraph. Contrary to what WW seems to think, I am not antigun or anything of the sort. How he got that impression is beyond me. Not agreeing with long gun OC - even if it's the only option in a particular state - does not mean I'm antigun. It just means I have an opinion that is contrary to his. And carrying one in the low ready is not the "normal" way to carry one unless you are going to use it.

And I don't know how you can say I'm "paranoid" about comments from that guy when he has repeatedly insulted and belittled me completely unprovoked.

humm, i believe i just got insulted and called a name...but wait you do not resort to name calling and slinging insults do you? ok, dave, your credibility is going down hill quickly.

your comments stating "guns are intimidating..." stated on this public forum serves the purpose of feeding the bloomburg crowd there is distention ...nice!

ever believe in another part of the country, outside of OZ where you live - opps sorry OR, he might be right, including about his walks around the neighbourhood where he said hello to his aged long gun carrying friend. yet you immediately blasted his post out of the blue. ya WW is picking on you.

ipse

Last edited:

DaveT319

humm, i believe i just got insulted and called a name...but wait you do not resort to name calling and slinging insults do you? ok, dave, your credibility is going down hill quickly.
Nope, not unless you think like WW that I'm chasing cops around trying to pretend I'm one when in fact I'm just doing what I see as my civic duty. So you can decide which side of that you're on, and then whether or not I insulted you. Oh, wait, you've mocked me for getting involved before. Yep, you're right, I did insult you, but certainly not without cause or provocation.
your comments stating "guns are intimidating..." stated on this public forum serves the purpose of feeding the bloomburg crowd there is distention ...nice!
Only a moron would think that guns aren't intimidating. Otherwise, the mere possession and open carrying of one would not be a deterrent to criminals. That I don't parrot every bit of pro-gun propaganda doesn't mean I'm anti-gun. Disagreeing with the lunatic fringe is not the same as supporting the other side.
ever believe in another part of the country, outside of OZ where you live - opps sorry OR, he might be right, including about his walks around the neighbourhood where he said hello to his aged long gun carrying friend. yet you immediately blasted his post out of the blue. ya WW is picking on you.

I blasted his post because of HIS history of ridiculing me. And because it's so absurd that it has to be made up. Yeah, some 86 year old was casually standing out in front of her house holding a lever-action rifle for no apparent reason. Please. That doesn't happen except MAYBE on the boondocks, and then you can't really call that a neighborhood, and cannot in any way be compared to wimwag's story. And above all, I don't believe that he OR she was standing or walking with their hands on the grip of the guns. There is no reason to do so unless you anticipate using it. I can ALMOST see holding it by the foreend, or tucked up under your arm. But holding it by the grip in a low ready position? Not likely.

But you go on believing my responses are unwarranted and unprovoked. I'm done with you as well, since you seem to live in the same fantasy world that he does.

Last edited: