• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Open Carry Groups Issue Joint Statement on OC of Long Arms

WalkingWolf

i was right, i was insulted...

ipse
He still has visions of Sonny Crocket dancing around in his head. You can tell by his posts he is itching to use his gun. Seems to get involved in police activity way too much for it to be incidental. Brags about it, then makes statements that it is ok to point a gun at a law abiding citizen.

I couldn't care less what he believes or doesn't believe, he has zero credibility. Now he has resorted to nothing but childish tantrums, and whining that he is being picked on.

DaveT319

I hope I NEVER have to use my gun. Not sure where you got anything to the contrary. Probably more delusions in your head, along with trying to twist things around so you feel superior when clearly you aren't.

Logan 5

And it took the OCers HOW LONG to figure out the psychological effect OCing rifles and longarms into businesses has? And how many of you ridiculed ME because I disputed it?

AFAIC if you cannot think that far ahead and figure if it's a good idea or not, then you lack skills in discernment and really, should you be carrying any gun? Good grief. As I have said before, respect the property owner. I hear the common statement "I'll take my money elsewhere!". Fine. Do that then. But your money is nothing compared to the many people that feel threatened by you OCing an AR-15 in Wendy's. I have said it before and I'll say it again- just because you have THE right does not mean you SHOULD exercise it anytime anywhere. You have the right to keep and bear arms, yes. But truly, if you go into a Burger King and feel so threatened that you must carrying your AK-47 with you, don't even go in.

I love guns. I support the Second Amendment. I support both Open AND Concealed Carry.
But more than any of that I support common sense and the ability to decide "do I feel safe here or not?".

If you come upon a situation that is threatening to you, remove yourself from it. A lot of you have said that. Don't go to the slums. Don't go near the crack houses. Prevent the conflict by not approaching it. But then you carry an AK-47 into Starbucks or Chipotle and pose with it claiming it's "your right". And it is. but more so their right to tell you to GTFO and not come back...which is what happened. Well, don't come back armed.

And don't claim that the place is safer with you having a gun because you are not paid by them to be security. Use that as an excuse, and then something bad happens, you can in some instances be held liable. THAT is only a matter of time.

OC for ME

We ask that members take a step back and make an objective assessment of what we are trying to accomplish and help us to get open carry passed for everyone.
Already have OC....rifles anyway.
We must be willing and able to recognize what works and what doesn’t, but we need your help to make these efforts a success.
Code for "we did it the right way but a a photo slipped out."
It will be very difficult to spin holstered, black powder revolvers into a negative story.
OK.....go back to that store and OC BP wheel gun.
This is the goal we are currently striving for, open carry of handguns. We know everyone is working hard for this cause. It is simply time to focus on what has been proven to work. The conversation has shifted from open carry of handguns to rifles in businesses, negating our efforts and distracting us from our mission.
What has been proven to work? OC walks only?
We are winning. Because we are winning, we have come under increased scrutiny by media and politicians. Let’s use that spotlight and make the most positive impact we can!
Winning? If this is the case why the joint statement.

Compromise: Get OC of a gat and restrict LG OC.....in other words swap rifle with pistol. The political class should be fine with this, right?

stealthyeliminator

And it took the OCers HOW LONG to figure out the psychological effect OCing rifles and longarms into businesses has? And how many of you ridiculed ME because I disputed it?

Incorrect. Tactics were not changed due to any psychological effect OCing long guns might or might not have. If you cared to read the statement, and the explanations of it, instead of desperately trying to grab for support of your indefensible and accusatory antics, you'd know that.

WalkingWolf

This is MDA's platform in summary form.

It's that platform that has kept OC of a handgun illegal in Texas for over a century. Only NOW is the legislature talking about making it legal, and that scares the bejesus out of hoplophobes who think carrying a gun is about being kewl, and nobody else should do it, or do it obviously.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...As I have said before, respect the property owner. I hear the common statement "I'll take my money elsewhere!". Fine. Do that then.
On this we can agree.

But your money is nothing compared to the many people that feel threatened by you OCing an AR-15 in Wendy's. I have said it before and I'll say it again- just because you have THE right does not mean you SHOULD exercise it anytime anywhere. You have the right to keep and bear arms, yes. But truly, if you go into a Burger King and feel so threatened that you must carrying your AK-47 with you, don't even go in.

If they feel threatened by an inanimate object, they should feel free to visit a psychiatrist to cure their mental "illness" (and feed the beast, so to speak). I've had strangers stand a few feet away from me, waving sharp knives and meat cleavers in front of me, yet I've never felt intimidated when visiting sushi restaurants and butcher shops. I must not be very aware of intent, I guess.:confused:
If you're too afraid to exercise a Right, did you ever really have it?

I love guns. I support the Second Amendment. I support both Open AND Concealed Carry.
But more than any of that I support common sense and the ability to decide "do I feel safe here or not?".

If you come upon a situation that is threatening to you, remove yourself from it. A lot of you have said that. Don't go to the slums. Don't go near the crack houses. Prevent the conflict by not approaching it. But then you carry an AK-47 into Starbucks or Chipotle and pose with it claiming it's "your right". And it is. but more so their right to tell you to GTFO and not come back...which is what happened. Well, don't come back armed.

If you choose to carry ONLY when you feel thatened (which you seem to be insinuating), that is your choice; feel free to be as unprepared as you wish, but don't try to force your choice on me.

And don't claim that the place is safer with you having a gun because you are not paid by them to be security. Use that as an excuse, and then something bad happens, you can in some instances be held liable. THAT is only a matter of time.

The place probably IS safer if criminals (generally cowards, NOT soldiers) a deterred from entering to carry out their crimes. Same reason places post up signs about how they have the latest camera systems (perfect for documenting the crime) and alarm systems (perfect for calling someone to respond after the criminals are likely gone).

solus

at least their statement spoke the obvious...setbacks ya think, and setbacks galore ...and those in charge of the demonstrations didn't learn from their initial indiscretions when the corporate establishments initially started throwing them out and asking them to stay away. this was even before bloomburg's group pressed their agenda.

those in charge of this ongoing façade still have the audacity to believe they are winning their crusade and there has no harm no foul when not one but no less than six establishments have published corporate mandates about their preference there not be firearms in their establishments. this is winning? wow, guess it is a different perspective on winning in texas than i have.

yet they truly believe the Texas legislature will touch this subject with a ten foot pole after all the negative publicity and now they have bloomburg's crew pitching their siren song, IMHO, this uphill battle pushing the subject over the mole hill, just became MT Everest to overcome.

logan, i have been on your band wagon for since the beginning but as i recently reiterated...there should be no publicity given to these and other folk working towards their 15 minutes of fame who confronting LE, scaring citizens by showing up in mass to pose or prance while filming it for the sensationalism, yes it is their right ~ acknowledged, but lets put some sense back into the phrase ~ common sense. what they are doing isn't and doesn't look like it is working. Period!!

i also raised the specter these LG 'event's are some how promoted by bloomburg for fuel for their campaign.

finally, i do not carry for the SD of anybody but my immediate intimates, sorry if that causes DaveT, Rusty, et al., to pucker, eh, won't even say sorry. but like logan stated, i am not anybody's security guard cuz i sure as he!! am not paid enough.

i feel better, stumbling off the cotton bale

ipse

Last edited:

solus

What six establishments?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

quote:
Early on, because of our efforts, the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) sent a message to all TABC licensees warning them about allowing our members to open carry into their businesses. This resulted in places like Smashburger asking us to leave our guns at home. Since then, Starbucks, Wendy’s, Jack In The Box, Applebees and most recently, Chipotle have come out asking we not carry our firearms into their establishments.
unquote http://gunssavelives.net/press-rele...open-carry-clarify-stance-on-long-gun-carry/#

I do not understand the comment about the TABC, which provides IMHO, further impetus of the convoluted and disjointed communiques the lead organizational leaders are presenting and then expecting they will be victorious.

ipse

Last edited:

Jack House

TABC is following the law, which makes it illegal for establishments licensed to sell alcohol to allow unlicensed, and in some cases licensed, carry in their business.

Never heard of Smashburger, Chili's and Applebee's have to prohibit unlicensed carry by law. I don't know anything about this Wendy's nonsense, I'm not sure Chipotle ever did issue that statement and not really familiar with the JITB issue.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Jack House

Scratch that JitB, I remember now. They were bullied into banning guns and made the decision based on complete lies.

It wasn't OCT that caused it, it was MDA and everyone buying their ocean front property in Arizona.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

I do not understand the comment about the TABC, which provides IMHO, further impetus of the convoluted and disjointed communiques the lead organizational leaders are presenting and then expecting they will be victorious.

ipse

I can help explain that. The TABC requires licensees to post signs in their establishments. The "Blue" sign reads as follows:
"NOTICE The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony with a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $10,000."
The content of the sign is false. It is not a felony, or a crime at all, to carry a weapon, licensed or unlicensed, on the premises of a business which posts this sign. However, per TABC rules, if the business allows a person to carry a firearm on the premises, they're subject to their license being revoked. The convolution is not on the part of the OC leaders in Texas, the law itself is convoluted.

Last edited:

Logan 5

Originally Posted by Logan 5 said:
This is MDA's platform in summary form.

You have a problem with common sense? That's sad.

If they feel threatened by an inanimate object, they should feel free to visit a psychiatrist to cure their mental "illness" (and feed the beast, so to speak). I've had strangers stand a few feet away from me, waving sharp knives and meat cleavers in front of me, yet I've never felt intimidated when visiting sushi restaurants and butcher shops. I must not be very aware of intent, I guess.:confused:
In public, do as you wish. In your home, do as you wish. On someone else's property, do as they wish or go away. Nothing psychiatric about that, not for them at least.

As for the state, I wish you the best of luck in getting OC allowed. I have never spoken against OC (contrary to the opinions of others).

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...As I have said before, respect the property owner. I hear the common statement "I'll take my money elsewhere!". Fine. Do that then. But your money is nothing compared to the many people that feel threatened by you OCing an AR-15 in Wendy's. I have said it before and I'll say it again- just because you have THE right does not mean you SHOULD exercise it anytime anywhere.SNIP...

In public, do as you wish. In your home, do as you wish. On someone else's property, do as they wish or go away. Nothing psychiatric about that, not for them at least.

I did not advocate trampling of private propery Rights. You mention the property owner BEFORE changing to speak of "the many people"; were you not referring to the patrons at that point, or did a typo occur on your end?

SNIP...The place probably IS safer if criminals (generally cowards, NOT soldiers) a deterred from entering to carry out their crimes. Same reason places post up signs about how they have the latest camera systems (perfect for documenting the crime) and alarm systems (perfect for calling someone to respond after the criminals are likely gone).

SNIP...finally, i do not carry for the SD of anybody but my immediate intimates, sorry if that causes DaveT, Rusty, et al., to pucker, eh, won't even say sorry. but like logan stated, i am not anybody's security guard cuz i sure as he!! am not paid enough.
SNIP...

I never meant to imply that I'd put my neck on the line for anyone other than my loved ones (family and good friends) and possibly children (the only innocent humans, IMO). As a matter of fact, I've gotten into a few disagreements with aquaintances and even members here on the subject.
If someone is made a little safer by my VISIBLE sidearm, that is merely a bonus to them but not my intended purpose. I carry my sidearm for self defense; desensitizing and education of the masses are secondary and tertiary reasons (respectively). Anything else is unintended.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I never meant to imply that I'd put my neck on the line for anyone other than my loved ones (family and good friends) and possibly children (the only innocent humans, IMO). As a matter of fact, I've gotten into a few disagreements with aquaintances and even members here on the subject.
If someone is made a little safer by my VISIBLE sidearm, that is merely a bonus to them but not my intended purpose. I carry my sidearm for self defense; desensitizing and education of the masses are secondary and tertiary reasons (respectively). Anything else is unintended.

I've arrived at much the same conclusion, RYM.

DaveT319

And I continue to be disappointed in anyone who would have the means to stop someone from getting hurt or killed and would do nothing.