• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Company car, to carry or not to carry?

OKC_Guy

Hey guys and gals, this is my first real post at OC.org.

I have a company take-home car that we are allowed/encouraged to drive on the weekends when we are off duty (cheap marketing). I like to carry on the weekends since I can't carry at work during the week.

Here's the problem: my company has a "no guns on property" policy, gun buster signs on all the doors to the building. Does this mean I can't carry even when off duty in my company car?

Is there a law (Oklahoma) that prohibits firearms in commercial vehicles?

Thanks!

JustaShooter

I don't know about state-specific laws, but an important question is what does the company policy say exactly? Are company vehicles mentioned? If so, depending on what it says you may or may not be violating policy if you do.

If it were me, and if the policy prohibits firearms in company vehicles even during off-duty use then I wouldn't take the company vehicle home with me. But then, I'd have a hard time working for a company that wouldn't let me at least have my gun in my car while I'm at work.

hhofent

I would assume company property includes their vehicles.
Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to CC while using it, but to OC it would depend on where I was going, and if I was likely to see coworkers there.

Sent from an unspecified mobile phone using unspecified software.

Robert318

company policy is company policy and if you want to work for that company then you need to follow the rules or risk the consequence. However being on company property outside of your personal vehicle is a different story. They cant deny you from carrying in your vehicle and is unlawful for them to try to enforce that.

TITLE 21 § 1289.7a TRANSPORTING OR STORING FIREARMS IN LOCKED MOTOR VEHICLE ON PRIVATE PREMISES – PROHIBITION PROSCRIBED – LIABILITY ENFORCEMENT
A. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall maintain, establish, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms or ammunition in a locked motor vehicle, or from transporting and storing firearms or ammunition locked in or locked to a motor vehicle on any property set aside for any motor vehicle.

larueman

There is a myth about carrying in a commercial vehicle is illegal but its just a myth.

are you brain dead?

He asked nothing about it being illegal or legal.

You work for a company you need to follow their policy if you value your job. Me personally I would CC because I value my life more than my job!

Last edited:

hhofent

are you brain dead?

You work for a company you need to follow their policy if you value your job. Me personally I would CC because I value my life more than my job!

Agree. The problem with OC in this situation is that anyone who sees you might think it's a company statement. And from your description of this company, they might not like that.
I don't know about legal repercussions, but you might lose your job if you OC.

Sent from an unspecified mobile phone using unspecified software.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

I have a company take-home car that we are allowed/encouraged to drive on the weekends when we are off duty (cheap marketing). I like to carry on the weekends since I can't carry at work during the week.

Here's the problem: my company has a "no guns on property" policy, gun buster signs on all the doors to the building. Does this mean I can't carry even when off duty in my company car?

Thanks!

Find a different job.

jrob33

are you brain dead?

???? he didn't?

Thanks!

Kopis

I have an unmarked company car. I know that our GM and RVP take their shotties in them for duck hunting or whatever else rich people do but for all us lowly department heads, we NEVER carry in our cars. TN is an at will state so it would be easy grounds to be fired. Im sure a lot of people CC on the weekends or after hours when driving their cars though.

Funny story though, a few months ago three of us rode to lunch together with a female dept head. When we got back in her SUV after lunch she asked us where we store our firearms during business hours or if we bring it in to our admin office (well, we dont have a purse so.........) anyway, we both thought she was joking and she's like well, sometimes i put it in my purse but i usually leave it here. I asked her to see it and she pulls out a huge 9mm semi auto with a 20rd extended mag. (keep in mind, she's 5'1" maybe and 120lbs at most). It was just funny as hell sitting there and this little, petite girl whips out this massive gun. She's then said, yeah, it's heavy so that's why i usually leave it in here. We just laughed and told her not to tell anyone else about it. I feel sorry (ok not really) but i would be amused to see the look on a potential criminal/rapists face when she whips that hand cannon out of her purse one day.