Thread: Transfers & NICS checks

Transfers & NICS checks

Hi all,

I am looking to transfer a shotgun and pistol from out of state to me and I would like to know if transfers are subject to NICS checks. I am thinking it is only when you buy a gun from an FFL. Any info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    The pistol will require (so may as well do both) that you transfer the gun to the far away ffl who will transfer the gun to your local ffl who will transfer it to you.

you can find ffls who do this on gunbroker

cost ~ 50-100 bucks for all ....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gibbs View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking to transfer a shotgun and pistol from out of state to me and I would like to know if transfers are subject to NICS checks. I am thinking it is only when you buy a gun from an FFL. Any info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The pistol will have to go through a FFL. You didn't mention which state but if the transfer is from a boarding state to OH you can do a face to face transfer.

One can buy a long gun from an FFL from another state.

But one cannot buy a long gun from an individual from another state, it has to go through an FFL. That is Federal Law since 1968.
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

such elegant information w/o a single cite which could mean the data could be faulty or could be incorrect or...

so lets see here, toddling to al gore's invention seeking and breaking out 5300.4, dtd 05....

opps, missing a bit of important information from the OP...whose pistol and shotgun are being transferred? are you buying them? already own them? inheriting them? temporary transfer so you can use them for shooting activities?

how were you going to transfer the firearms?

oh, are you lawfully able to receive, possess, etc., firearms?

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-28-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

18 USC, 922. Unlawful acts

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliveró

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

(2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance;

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-...p44-sec922.pdf

now i am not an attorney, and i do not know how FFLs might handle this so they would comply with these two requirements unless the FFL personally knew you and your history to assure themselves your are not prohibited so they met the spirit of these clauses. otherwise, i cannot see any recourse for you to receive the firearms w/o the FFL running a FBI NICS ck on you.

your answers from my previous post could change this outcome.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    such elegant information w/o a single cite which could mean the data could be faulty or could be incorrect or...

so lets see here, toddling to al gore's invention seeking and breaking out 5300.4, dtd 05....

opps, missing a bit of important information from the OP...whose pistol and shotgun are being transferred? are you buying them? already own them? inheriting them? temporary transfer so you can use them for shooting activities?

how were you going to transfer the firearms?

oh, are you lawfully able to receive, possess, etc., firearms?

ipse
    I'm a former 20+yr ffl. The OP should follow most people's advice and contact 2 ffls....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'm a former 20+yr ffl. The OP should follow most people's advice and contact 2 ffls....
    david, with the utmost reverence to your broad breadth of knowledge, you know as well as do the majority of the forum members, that w/o a cite, your 20 + year stint means absolutely, unequivocally nothing... especially since you used the term former.

especially as a former illustrious ffl, you should know there is pertinent information from the OP that is missing to give definitive FFL type advice.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-28-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootinRugers View Post
    The pistol will have to go through a FFL. You didn't mention which state but if the transfer is from a boarding state to OH you can do a face to face transfer.
    I stand corrected.
    I was under the impression you didn't need a FFL to transfer a long gun from a bordering state to Ohio.