• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transfers & NICS checks

Kevin Gibbs

Hi all,

I am looking to transfer a shotgun and pistol from out of state to me and I would like to know if transfers are subject to NICS checks. I am thinking it is only when you buy a gun from an FFL. Any info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
The pistol will require (so may as well do both) that you transfer the gun to the far away ffl who will transfer the gun to your local ffl who will transfer it to you.

you can find ffls who do this on gunbroker

cost ~ 50-100 bucks for all ....

ShootinRugers

Hi all,

I am looking to transfer a shotgun and pistol from out of state to me and I would like to know if transfers are subject to NICS checks. I am thinking it is only when you buy a gun from an FFL. Any info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pistol will have to go through a FFL. You didn't mention which state but if the transfer is from a boarding state to OH you can do a face to face transfer.

Midwest

One can buy a long gun from an FFL from another state.

But one cannot buy a long gun from an individual from another state, it has to go through an FFL. That is Federal Law since 1968.

solus

such elegant information w/o a single cite which could mean the data could be faulty or could be incorrect or...

so lets see here, toddling to al gore's invention seeking and breaking out 5300.4, dtd 05....

opps, missing a bit of important information from the OP...whose pistol and shotgun are being transferred? are you buying them? already own them? inheriting them? temporary transfer so you can use them for shooting activities?

how were you going to transfer the firearms?

oh, are you lawfully able to receive, possess, etc., firearms?

ipse

Last edited:

solus

18 USC, 922. Unlawful acts

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

(2) any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance;

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/pdf/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.pdf

now i am not an attorney, and i do not know how FFLs might handle this so they would comply with these two requirements unless the FFL personally knew you and your history to assure themselves your are not prohibited so they met the spirit of these clauses. otherwise, i cannot see any recourse for you to receive the firearms w/o the FFL running a FBI NICS ck on you.

your answers from my previous post could change this outcome.

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
such elegant information w/o a single cite which could mean the data could be faulty or could be incorrect or...

so lets see here, toddling to al gore's invention seeking and breaking out 5300.4, dtd 05....

opps, missing a bit of important information from the OP...whose pistol and shotgun are being transferred? are you buying them? already own them? inheriting them? temporary transfer so you can use them for shooting activities?

how were you going to transfer the firearms?

oh, are you lawfully able to receive, possess, etc., firearms?

ipse

I'm a former 20+yr ffl. The OP should follow most people's advice and contact 2 ffls....

solus

I'm a former 20+yr ffl. The OP should follow most people's advice and contact 2 ffls....

david, with the utmost reverence to your broad breadth of knowledge, you know as well as do the majority of the forum members, that w/o a cite, your 20 + year stint means absolutely, unequivocally nothing... especially since you used the term former.

especially as a former illustrious ffl, you should know there is pertinent information from the OP that is missing to give definitive FFL type advice.

ipse

Last edited: