Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Thrown out of Burger King, Warms Springs in Henderson

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    27

    Thrown out of Burger King, Warms Springs in Henderson

    Today I went to my normal Burger King:

    1270 W Warm Springs Rd, Henderson, NV
    (702) 547-4944

    I go here about once a week since it is down the street from where I work, and I open carry a majority of the time while I attend. Today was a little different though, I went in with my girlfriend, we ordered our food, and as we were getting the drinks a worker from across the counter said, "Hey, you can't bring a gun in here, you need to leave now."

    I stood there in disbelief and said to her that I am an avid customer, and that I come into this restaurant often with my firearm, and that I have never had a problem before. She replied by saying that she doesn't care, and that she is just following Burger King's policy, and that I must leave or go outside. I explained to her again that there is no posted signage on the door saying that firearms are not to be permitted into the restaurant, but the worker named Evereth didn't seem to care, so I left the establishment.

    I will be sending Burger King e-mails, snail mail, along with phone calls about this situation. I will not be eating at any Burger King restaurants in the future until this matter is settled.

  2. #2
    Regular Member tomrkba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    128
    Did you speak with the manager? Many employees believe the anti-gun policy for employees applies to customers who have no contract with them. I would call that store during the day. You could also ask for the district manager.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
    Did you speak with the manager? Many employees believe the anti-gun policy for employees applies to customers who have no contract with them. I would call that store during the day. You could also ask for the district manager.
    Forgot to mention it, but she WAS the manager.

    Called district manager, got the machine and left a brief message. 702-254-7400
    Last edited by dbacks_Nation; 05-27-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: modified phone number

  4. #4
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacks_Nation View Post
    Forgot to mention it, but she WAS the manager.

    Called district manager, got the machine and left a brief message. 702-454-6900
    Did you get a refund before you left?

    Everyone call the number and blow up her answering machine...

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacks_Nation View Post
    ...I explained to her again that there is no posted signage on the door saying that firearms are not to be permitted into the restaurant, but the worker named Evereth didn't seem to care, so I left the establishment...
    To clarify, signs mean nothing in Nevada. ONLY the verbal notice from the company representative is what matters. It is best not to mention signs, or it might give them ideas to put them up. Even though they still won't have legal meaning, we'd rather they not get the idea that they should put them up.

    I agree that they are probably/hopefully confusing the rules for employees with policy for customers. The best answer will come from corporate. Lower managers will often give their personal opinions as policy, too, especially if saving face when they were actually wrong.

    Refund should have been given if you had paid. The price of your meal includes time to eat it in the restaurant in peace.
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-24-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Did you get a refund before you left?

    Everyone call the number and blow up her answering machine...
    Unfortunately no, my girlfriend just wanted to get out of there, so that's what we did. We'll see what happens when/if I get a return call Monday.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    To clarify, signs mean nothing in Nevada. ONLY the verbal notice from the company representative is what matters. It is best not to mention signs, or it might give them ideas to put them up. Even though they still won't have legal meaning, we'd rather they not get the idea that they should put them up.

    I agree that they are probably/hopefully confusing the rules for employees with policy for customers. The best answer will come from corporate. Lower managers will often give their personal opinions as policy, too, especially if saving face when they were actually wrong.

    Refund should have been given if you had paid. The price of your meal includes time to eat it in the restaurant in peace.
    I still have the receipt, I can see what can be done about getting a refund from it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacks_Nation View Post
    I explained to her again that there is no posted signage on the door saying that firearms are not to be permitted into the restaurant, but the worker named
    Im going to echo Mac here. Dont bring up signage. They have no force of law in NV on a pvt biz, and we want to keep it that way. Dont give them that power. If you runt into this sort of thing in the future just be polite and leave, and if possible get your money back. And deal with the corporate stuff later. The line employee has no power.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    Sent them a message letting them know most business follow state law if a gun free zone is their policy it is the favorite zone for mass murders and is it far to dangerous for me, my friends and family.

  10. #10
    Regular Member garand_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    495
    I went in there this evening. OC'd, spent my time lingering at the drink machine. Not a word was said. How inconsistent can they be? These people want $15/hr? Live up to In n Out standards and then we'll talk.
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

    Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by garand_guy View Post
    I went in there this evening. OC'd, spent my time lingering at the drink machine. Not a word was said....
    Best way yet to show them this is normal. Thanks!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  12. #12
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    We don't eat at burger king(mainly because I take issue with them but that is non firearm related) however just another place to cross off our list of where to eat. Let our money do the talking and stop supporting the businesses that will not support our freedom or at least stand neutral and follow the local laws.

  13. #13
    Regular Member garand_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    495
    Why don't we start a campaign to ban Burger King? We know that the food is unhealthy and obese people are dying like flies out there. Stop the madness! End the reign of the Whopper killers! Let's get a whole bunch of celebrities on board to restrict people's rights to eat Burger King for their safety. Let's face it, we know better than they do. Fast food is poison! No one except a trucker should eat Burger King. There needs to be more inspections, more licensing, posting calories on the menu, and a big warning that Burger King could cause fat. I ate too much last night; someone should have stopped me! Burger King needs to take responsibility here!

    Join me my friends, in my new movement, Everytown Against Fast Food!

    *(Seriously, why doesn't Subway do that here; it's how I picked my meal back in CA. They sell their product as healthy, don't they?)
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

    Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    27
    Yesterday I received a phone call from a Burger King district manager who was not the owner of the restaurant, but he did apologize for the confusion at the restaurant and that the district manager at the location I was at would be back in the office on Tuesday (today).

    I called the disctrict manager for the location that I was at and had about a 15 minute phone call conversation with her about the situation, and from what I was told that tomorrow afternoon they will be having a meeting of the district managers in the valley on how to deal with future instances where a customer enters the restaurant with a firearm. She explained that it will be a top to bottom discussion about firearms in the restaurant because they have never had an instance where they had a customer thrown out of a restaurant for bringing in a firearm, and that it was never an issue until just now. When I pressed her about possible topics at the meeting, she said that how Nevada is a gun friendly state and that it seems unlikely that they would do a blanket ban firearms from their restaurants, but their goal is to make sure that their customers feel comfortable in their buildings.

    She explained my situation on Saturday afternoon as what was told to her by the manager is that a guest had commented about her being uneasy about me being in the restaurant with my firearm, so the manager (Evereth) took it into her hands to remove me from the restaurant to please the other guest based on their personal and political preferences. She said that they would discuss on training store managers to not allow personal beliefs to influence their future decisions on customers carrying firearms, and that the tact of the manager was inappropriate and they will be trained on how to deal with future customers who carry and for those who do not.

    Regarding the store manager, I made sure to express that I was most disturbed about how the way the manager went about me in the building, shouting that "you can't bring that gun in here!" from across the counter in an environment with a restaurant full of customers, bringing a negative alert to a situation where she made myself and firearms look like we did not belong, and that she could have approached me individually and calmly if she had a concern.

    I made sure to mention that I had been to this restaurant on a weekly basis for months since it was right near where I work, and that I had never had any issue with it before, and that I have never had issues with my firearm in other private businesses (not counting Town Square, my fault for not checking here first).

    When explaining Burger King's current policy (lack of), I pressed that should I visit this restaurant again, I will be able to visit without interruption, and she reluctantly said yes, but I got the feeling that she was pandering. I also asked her to look into the recent robberies of Jack in the Box stores after their new anti-gun policy should the topic of banning firearms from their establishments come up at their meeting.

    If anyone wants to give her a call, their office number is 702-254-7400, just ask for the manager of the location listed in the first post.

  15. #15
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Another customer complains that they were uneasy about you having a pistol so she kicked you out...lol

    I should try that next time...excuse me Mr./Mrs manager can you throw that oriental guy out as he makes me uneasy since I have seen to many Bruce Lee movies...really

    Maybe I can get someone thrown out because they walk with a cane and he might hit me with it....

    Wait better yet at Sonic I can claim I fear cars since I witnessed a hit and run and please ask everyone to park their cars out of sight so I can eat my heath burger....


    THIS IS ALL A BUNCH OF CRAP....LAC's BEING PROFILED FOR DOING NOTHING WRONG.

  16. #16
    Regular Member garand_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacks_Nation View Post
    so the manager (Evereth) took it into her hands to remove me from the restaurant to please the other guest based on their personal and political preferences.
    She's the one who rung me up. Guess her tune had changed since your phone call to the manager?!
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

    Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    25
    I was told the same thing at a Burger King in Loveland OH. I changed my dirty work shirt outside my car before going in. An employee was in the parking lot in her car, and saw my IWB concealed. I was later asked, inside the store, while ordering my food, if I had a CHL by an inside employee. (I saw outside employee talking w inside employee as I walked in, and expected some of what transpired) I advised that while non of her business, yes I did. She said "well we don't allow guns in the store". I motioned towards the door and stated "I didn't see any signs". (There were NADA posted). She just stated its "policy", while "graciously" offering to let me complete my order before I left. I declined, and left immediately.


    "I miss America"

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by idodishez View Post
    I was told the same thing at a Burger King in Loveland OH. I changed my dirty work shirt outside my car before going in. An employee was in the parking lot in her car, and saw my IWB concealed. I was later asked, inside the store, while ordering my food, if I had a CHL by an inside employee. (I saw outside employee talking w inside employee as I walked in, and expected some of what transpired) I advised that while non of her business, yes I did. She said "well we don't allow guns in the store". I motioned towards the door and stated "I didn't see any signs". (There were NADA posted). She just stated its "policy", while "graciously" offering to let me complete my order before I left. I declined, and left immediately.


    "I miss America"
    You should complain and get that person fired ... an employee asking about your CHL? Sounds like a cop impersonator.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    i did send a message to corporate about that store. Short version I let them know the majority of business follow the state firearm law and a gun free zone has proven many times to be a killing zone and extremely dangerous for the customers. We have seen e-mails work in the past. At least they contacted you.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 05-28-2014 at 01:12 AM.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by idodishez View Post
    ...I was later asked, inside the store, while ordering my food, if I had a CHL by an inside employee. (I saw outside employee talking w inside employee as I walked in, and expected some of what transpired) I advised that while none of her business, yes I did. She said "well we don't allow guns in the store". I motioned towards the door and stated "I didn't see any signs". (There were NADA posted). She just stated its "policy", while "graciously" offering to let me complete my order before I left. I declined, and left immediately. ..."
    PLEASE, do not mention their lack of signs. This only alerts them to the idea to put one up. In your state of Ohio, this sign would have force of law and make it an actual crime to carry there, and may affect someone in the future. But good for you for declining to patronize them further!

    Since the employee may have been in the wrong, a letter to district management is in order. Managers (who are paid bonuses based on how many paying customers the stores have) really hate hearing about good customers being kicked out by wrong employees.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sparks, NV, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    471
    I wonder if Burger King Corporate would pass it off as "stores are franchised and allowed to do what they want..." I know the BK's up in Reno are all franchised, I assume that one in Henderson likely is as well.

  22. #22
    Regular Member tomrkba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    128
    It sounds like the OP had a good conversation with the DM. Since they are talking about it and willing to work with you, I think you should go back to that store next week and see how things go. Likely everything will be fine. I would go prepared. I would acquire the Nevada equivalent of Ed Levine's cards and hand one to the employee if there is a problem. I would also ask the DM for a copy of that chain's policy and point to it should the need arise. If you cannot get that, get the DM's number and keep it handy. Just make it clear you will continue to give them business so long as you can carry there.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Craftymommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Another customer complains that they were uneasy about you having a pistol so she kicked you out...lol

    I should try that next time...excuse me Mr./Mrs manager can you throw that oriental guy out as he makes me uneasy since I have seen to many Bruce Lee movies...really

    Maybe I can get someone thrown out because they walk with a cane and he might hit me with it....

    Wait better yet at Sonic I can claim I fear cars since I witnessed a hit and run and please ask everyone to park their cars out of sight so I can eat my heath burger....


    THIS IS ALL A BUNCH OF CRAP....LAC's BEING PROFILED FOR DOING NOTHING WRONG.
    I would probably do that...
    Employee" a customer is uncomfortable with your firearm and we must ask you to leave it in the car."
    Me"oh I didn't know you can ask customers to leave based on other customers preferences. In that case I would like ((describe random customer)) to be asked to leave because her appearance makes me uncomfortable." Watch employee get all embarrassed.

    I am glad Burger King did respond to the incident even though I don't eat there. Long story back to when I was in high school

  24. #24
    Regular Member turborich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    175
    I have seen MAC bring up the signage issue several times and I strongly agree. Do NOT mention anything about having or not having a sign. Just request a refund, be polite and take it up with management. If they get enough calls they may have a change of heart.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    63
    Meanwhile, at another BK location less than 5 miles to the East today...

    "Woman hospitalized after machete stabbing at a Valley Burger King"

    http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/25722...at-burger-king

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •