• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How the NRA Rewrote the Second Amendment

The Donkey

I post this article:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...cond-amendment-106856_Page4.html#.U4JuBHJdUaA

not because I agree with it. I do not. However, I do admire Mr. Waldman and the Brennan Center, believe him to be a serious scholar, and see this as a summary of a serious scholarly work he is about to publish.

I am hoping that some of you historically minded hulks will look at this, and give me some citations regarding where Mr. Waldman goes off the tracks. I confess not to be a scholar of these details, merely a reader of scholars.

Having read some of the advocacy pieces coming out of the most prominent pro-gun organizations regarding politics in the last few years, I no longer find them to be a credible source for data on these issues. Citations to independent, reliable sources is always appreciated.

:confused:

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

It's a good, too, as that would certainly not be successful. Only God can create 'rights.'

Well, if you're one of those people who believes in an omnipotent, invisible, immortal, sky-person, who is all-knowing, all-seeing, and all-powerful, yet refuses to exercise such abilities; then sure, why not.

As for us realists, the rights of man, are derived from common-sense, and a common foundation of what is right, and what is wrong, while protecting the weak from the strong, and balancing out the needs of the many, with the needs of the one.

I derive my right to marry a person of the same-sex, from the perspective that I have a right to marry someone of the opposite-sex, which is based on equal treatment, and following the one guideline that predates all societies, religions, and races; the 'Golden' rule. -- Same for where I derive my right to self-defense, and my right to provide myself with a means to fulfill the aforementioned right; Common sense, and understanding say that what's mine, is mine, and I have a duty to protect what is mine, from anyone who seeks to make what is mine, into something that is no longer mine.

See? that makes much more sense than saying a magical, invisible, all-knowing, all-powerful, possibly autistic person who lives in the sky, bestowed upon me the right to do this, and that, but also wants me to keep someone else from doing the same thing.

stealthyeliminator

Well, if you're one of those people who believes in an omnipotent, invisible, immortal, sky-person, who is all-knowing, all-seeing, and all-powerful, yet refuses to exercise such abilities; then sure, why not.

As for us realists, the rights of man, are derived from common-sense, and a common foundation of what is right, and what is wrong, while protecting the weak from the strong, and balancing out the needs of the many, with the needs of the one.

I derive my right to marry a person of the same-sex, from the perspective that I have a right to marry someone of the opposite-sex, which is based on equal treatment, and following the one guideline that predates all societies, religions, and races; the 'Golden' rule. -- Same for where I derive my right to self-defense, and my right to provide myself with a means to fulfill the aforementioned right; Common sense, and understanding say that what's mine, is mine, and I have a duty to protect what is mine, from anyone who seeks to make what is mine, into something that is no longer mine.

See? that makes much more sense than saying a magical, invisible, all-knowing, all-powerful, possibly autistic person who lives in the sky, bestowed upon me the right to do this, and that, but also wants me to keep someone else from doing the same thing.

I'm glad you finally found another opportunity to bring attention to the fact that you're gay. I hadn't seen a derailment of that nature in quite some time. Hopefully we won't have to wait as long for the next one.

solus

snip.

snip

ah, but as Marx stated, " Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." and without this so called religion, we wouldn't have the behaviour regulation agreed to by those common sense realists who put the differentiation into the foundation of right and wrong ~ our laws!
http://www.credong.org/why-society-needs-religion.php

and keep plugging, one day it will occur.

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
And never regret ANYTHING
That makes you smile."
twain

your post made me smile, thanks
ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I did n't read the article, I will later, getting ready for a walk about. But the NRA has indeed rewrote the second amendment. They have successfully changed it from a right to a privilege where one must ask the government permission to exercise "right" to defend from tyranny from them.

Makes about as much sense into using a beehive for a sexual gratification device.

solus

there is a genuine confusion amongst the populous between the NRA and its mission and the lobbying side, NRA-ILA, that is chartered to:

quote The Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the lobbying arm of the NRA. Established in 1975, ILA is committed to preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. unquote

for the whole ILA song and dance: http://www.nraila.org/about-nra-ila.aspx

the NRA, founded in 1871, leads the world in providing LE and civilian shooting sports training in rifle, shotgun, and pistol.
http://www.nrahq.org/history.asp

let's not throw the baby out with bathwater while we are organization beating and bashing as we thump our chests and strike our war drums.

especially since i am not sure why this tabloid was generated except to promote the writer's new book release?
ipse

Last edited:

F350

I post this article:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...cond-amendment-106856_Page4.html#.U4JuBHJdUaA

not because I agree with it. I do not. However, I do admire Mr. Waldman and the Brennan Center, believe him to be a serious scholar, and see this as a summary of a serious scholarly work he is about to publish.

I am hoping that some of you historically minded hulks will look at this, and give me some citations regarding where Mr. Waldman goes off the tracks. I confess not to be a scholar of these details, merely a reader of scholars.

Having read some of the advocacy pieces coming out of the most prominent pro-gun organizations regarding politics in the last few years, I no longer find them to be a credible source for data on these issues. Citations to independent, reliable sources is always appreciated.

:confused:

The best advice I can give you is to find a copy of "THAT EVERY MAN BE ARMED" by Stephen P. Halbrook

http://www.amazon.com/That-Every-Ma...39560&sr=8-2&keywords=that+every+man+be+armed

Or for quick free reading pleasure check out this link...

http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/2nd_index.htm