Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Excuse me sir, why are you carrying a gun?"

"Excuse me sir, why are you carrying a gun?"

So I took my nephew's to Best Buy today to look at the new games for their Xbox One. I'm standing there watching them playing some game, I think it was Titanfall or something like that. There were a few other kids and parents around watching. All of a sudden this lady appears, she looks like the manager or assistant manager, and she asks me the above question. I think for a couple of seconds, and then point to my nephew's and told her my nephew's are afraid of alien abduction. She choked on her own saliva, laughed, shook her head, and got a big smile, and then she said "Have a nice day sir." I said "You too, and watch out for those aliens I hear their everywhere." She laughed again, and walked off.

So a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were eating at Chipolte's, Saturday night date night, my wife's choice, and the assistant manager is cleaning off the table next to ours and she asks me the above question. My wife looks at me and shakes her head, body language for "don't say it". I of course smirk, and then say with a straight face , "My doctor prescribed it. You see I get these really huge embarrassing hard on s, and he said if I carried a gun on my hip no one would notice, seems to work." My wife turned bright red, put her hand over her face and shook her head. The assistant manager almost fell on the floor laughing so hard. Never sip rootbeer when you trying to be funny, it burns..

I double dog dare you to come up with funnier response's.....

Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    So I took my nephew's to Best Buy today to look at the new games for their Xbox One. I'm standing there watching them playing some game, I think it was Titanfall or something like that. There were a few other kids and parents around watching. All of a sudden this lady appears, she looks like the manager or assistant manager, and she asks me the above question. I think for a couple of seconds, and then point to my nephew's and told her my nephew's are afraid of alien abduction. She choked on her own saliva, laughed, shook her head, and got a big smile, and then she said "Have a nice day sir." I said "You too, and watch out for those aliens I hear their everywhere." She laughed again, and walked off.

So a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were eating at Chipolte's, Saturday night date night, my wife's choice, and the assistant manager is cleaning off the table next to ours and she asks me the above question. My wife looks at me and shakes her head, body language for "don't say it". I of course smirk, and then say with a straight face , "My doctor prescribed it. You see I get these really huge embarrassing hard on s, and he said if I carried a gun on my hip no one would notice, seems to work." My wife turned bright red, put her hand over her face and shook her head. The assistant manager almost fell on the floor laughing so hard. Never sip rootbeer when you trying to be funny, it burns..

Maybe not "as funny/funnier" but it got lots of head-scratching -

Bunch of tourists* come out of a neighborhood restaurant after breakfast and notice us (the Saturday Morning OC Brealfast Club) standing around digesting our eggs and bacon and otherwise generally chewing the fat.

Tourist #1 (mid-20s with obvious wife & several kids) sort of stops, stares, and then in a very hesitating voice asks: "Why do you have a gun on your side?"

I swear the Devil made me say this: "Because if I did not balance all the spare bullets I have on the other side I'd lean over and fall down." (Demonstrating the lean-to-the-left danger.)

Tourist #1's wife literally does the jaw-drop. Tourist #3 gets this really confused look on his face. Guy who turned out to be the local who the tourists were visiting starts laughing so hard he nearly falls down. When he regains control he said he was laughing at the tourists, not at my remark.

stay safe.

* - Around here folks fro New Joisey are tourists only if they go back there. If not, they are "Damned Yankees" no matter how many generations they have stayed here.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Oh gawd, I think I will be using parts of these and maybe spinning my own.

edit

I carry because the voices in my head have not figured out how to dial 911 yet.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 05-26-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

:rotfl:
    Just letting you know I'll be borrowing the first for sure, and I'm seriously considering the second one as well.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Port Orchard Wal-Mart 2004..
    It keeps the lions away...
    There are no lions here...
    See... it works don't it.

I never get asked why, just "Is that real?". I have been tempted to reply "Yes it is, but it has been getting bigger since I started using those blue pills."

A few years back a child did ask me if my beard was real, he didn't even notice the handgun. Certain times of the year I have been mistaken for Santa.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 05-26-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

i have only been shocked one time several years ago when young man walked up to me out of the blue and immediately said:

is that a model xyz, with the ## mag plus one, which has a polymer-frame featuring blah blah blah forged barrel, and has such and such muzzle velocity...then he ended with

SWEET!

damn, he knew more about my firearm than i did and all he could see was the grip sticking out of the holster. after a brief conversation, we met up the following week and he ran through about 100 rounds and walked away even more enthralled with my primary carry firearm.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I carry a gun because I am to young to die and too old to get my ass beat.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I never get asked why, just "Is that real?". I have been tempted to reply "Yes it is, but it has been getting bigger since I started using those blue pills."
    "It's real, and it's spectacular!" - Done in the tone of Terri Hatcher's role on Seinfeld. Probably best delivered by a female. Might be a tad awkward for a male delivery. Unless on Capitol Hill.

Well, it's not as funny, but there's always the traditional answer to that one: "Because a cop is too heavy."

"Because when the Bonanno family puts a price on your head, you have to be ready."

Saturday night date night, my wife's choice, and the assistant manager is cleaning off the table next to ours and she asks me the above question. My wife looks at me and shakes her head, body language for "don't say it". I of course smirk, and then say with a straight face , "My doctor prescribed it. You see I get these really huge embarrassing hard on s, and he said if I carried a gun on my hip no one would notice, seems to work." ..
    Jsanchez,

That is now so stolen and I'll be using that one if the time and place all come together for it.

Thanks.

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

I like the old reliable "Because a cop is too heavy and keeps wanting to stop at donut shops".

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I like the old reliable "Because a cop is too heavy and keeps wanting to stop at donut shops".
    Remember that tale about the scorpion who wanted to cross the river..........
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I was stopped by a LEO once. He asked "Are you carrying a gun sir?" "Yes, I am, aren't you?" was my reply......and he drew his weapon on me. I no longer use that "ice breaker" in conversation.

Now I reply, "Yes Ma'am, I am, for the better protection of my family."
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

when with the grandkids

I have been asked that question by snowbirds when they see my gun and my granddaughters. My reply is to point to the girls and say that at 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 they aren't going to be bothered by some jerk with evil on their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I was stopped by a LEO once. He asked "Are you carrying a gun sir?" "Yes, I am, aren't you?" was my reply......and he drew his weapon on me.
    Wow. I hope he was disciplined for that. That could have gotten him lawfully shot.

not as funny but truthful

a little old lady asked me that in a bank one time

i said." i carry so if someone wants to harm me or rob me i will be ready, and i carry in the open so nobody will be tempted to"

this seemed to satisfy her
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

[QUOTE=MSG Laigaie;2065097]I was stopped by a LEO once. He asked "Are you carrying a gun sir?" "Yes, I am, aren't you?" was my reply......and he drew his weapon on me.

Sorry that I did not note this post, earlier. Another poster has correctly stated that this display of very bad manners would have gotten the LEO lawfully shot in self-defense (I, too, was taken off-guard by a LEO response to my legal display of arms, long ago, when I first stated to OC; I now regard LEO's far more carefully than other civilians, as they are far more dangerous).

So what is the rest of the story AFTER he drew his weapon?

Well, IMHO, 15K is far too little. From three feet away seems almost close enough for an adequate hand-to-hand response, if the victim is trained in trained in such; otherwise, things seem to have worked out almost satisfactorily.

I was lucky enough to have had a witness, not seen by the LEO, who saw the entire incident. It would have been difficult and we would have been in court for a long time, if things had gone south.
    The LEO put himself in harms way because, 1. he was a bully and felt invincible, 2. he was a bully and completely underestimated his opponent, 3. he was a bully and feels he is above the law.
    I would not have drawn my weapon, the situation was beyond that. I have been in this situation before and it did not go as well for the aggressor.

On a side note: officer allen bass of the bellingham police department is still employed by b'ham. officer allen bass has not changed his tactics, he is still a bully and is currently harassing people.
    This person has not intimidated me and I openly carry everywhere I go, and I do it with great confidence.

pi$$ me off, pay the consequences.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 06-08-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: to bring more attention to officer allen bass
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I was lucky enough to have had a witness, not seen by the LEO, who saw the entire incident. It would have been difficult and we would have been in court for a long time, if things had gone south.
    The LEO put himself in harms way because, 1. he was a bully and felt invincible, 2. he was a bully and completely underestimated his opponent, 3. he was a bully and feels he is above the law.
    I would not have drawn my weapon, the situation was beyond that. I have been in this situation before and it did not go as well for the aggressor.
    On a side note: officer allen bass of the bellingham police department is still employed by b'ham. officer allen bass has not changed his tactics, he is still a bully and is currently harassing people.
    This person has not intimidated me and I openly carry everywhere I go, and I do it with great confidence.

A witness certainly helps.

I entirely agree with NavyLCDR, above, re the LEO response to justice being done to one of their own. My own situation was nowhere near as dramatic as yours, and I can only dream about what would be done to thugs, with or without badges, in a rational world.

Cops are not your friend. Other cops complain about cop-bashing (I would sympathize with them, if I knew any), but they never address such thugs as alan bass and the thousands of others like him.

Not capitalized. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    Not capitalized. I love it!
    A small non-violent protest to those whom I have no respect. Not many catch that Pilot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast