• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Excuse me sir, why are you carrying a gun?"

jsanchez

So I took my nephew's to Best Buy today to look at the new games for their Xbox One. I'm standing there watching them playing some game, I think it was Titanfall or something like that. There were a few other kids and parents around watching. All of a sudden this lady appears, she looks like the manager or assistant manager, and she asks me the above question. I think for a couple of seconds, and then point to my nephew's and told her my nephew's are afraid of alien abduction. She choked on her own saliva, laughed, shook her head, and got a big smile, and then she said "Have a nice day sir." I said "You too, and watch out for those aliens I hear their everywhere." She laughed again, and walked off.

So a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were eating at Chipolte's, Saturday night date night, my wife's choice, and the assistant manager is cleaning off the table next to ours and she asks me the above question. My wife looks at me and shakes her head, body language for "don't say it". I of course smirk, and then say with a straight face , "My doctor prescribed it. You see I get these really huge embarrassing hard on s, and he said if I carried a gun on my hip no one would notice, seems to work." My wife turned bright red, put her hand over her face and shook her head. The assistant manager almost fell on the floor laughing so hard. Never sip rootbeer when you trying to be funny, it burns..

I double dog dare you to come up with funnier response's.....

OC Freedom

So I took my nephew's to Best Buy today to look at the new games for their Xbox One. I'm standing there watching them playing some game, I think it was Titanfall or something like that. There were a few other kids and parents around watching. All of a sudden this lady appears, she looks like the manager or assistant manager, and she asks me the above question. I think for a couple of seconds, and then point to my nephew's and told her my nephew's are afraid of alien abduction. She choked on her own saliva, laughed, shook her head, and got a big smile, and then she said "Have a nice day sir." I said "You too, and watch out for those aliens I hear their everywhere." She laughed again, and walked off.

So a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were eating at Chipolte's, Saturday night date night, my wife's choice, and the assistant manager is cleaning off the table next to ours and she asks me the above question. My wife looks at me and shakes her head, body language for "don't say it". I of course smirk, and then say with a straight face , "My doctor prescribed it. You see I get these really huge embarrassing hard on s, and he said if I carried a gun on my hip no one would notice, seems to work." My wife turned bright red, put her hand over her face and shook her head. The assistant manager almost fell on the floor laughing so hard. Never sip rootbeer when you trying to be funny, it burns..

:lol::D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Maybe not "as funny/funnier" but it got lots of head-scratching -

Bunch of tourists* come out of a neighborhood restaurant after breakfast and notice us (the Saturday Morning OC Brealfast Club) standing around digesting our eggs and bacon and otherwise generally chewing the fat.

Tourist #1 (mid-20s with obvious wife & several kids) sort of stops, stares, and then in a very hesitating voice asks: "Why do you have a gun on your side?"

I swear the Devil made me say this: "Because if I did not balance all the spare bullets I have on the other side I'd lean over and fall down." (Demonstrating the lean-to-the-left danger.)

Tourist #1's wife literally does the jaw-drop. Tourist #3 gets this really confused look on his face. Guy who turned out to be the local who the tourists were visiting starts laughing so hard he nearly falls down. When he regains control he said he was laughing at the tourists, not at my remark.

stay safe.

* - Around here folks fro New Joisey are tourists only if they go back there. If not, they are "Damned Yankees" no matter how many generations they have stayed here.

Freedom1Man

Oh gawd, I think I will be using parts of these and maybe spinning my own.

edit

I carry because the voices in my head have not figured out how to dial 911 yet.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

:rotfl::lol:
Just letting you know I'll be borrowing the first for sure, and I'm seriously considering the second one as well.

Trigger Dr

Port Orchard Wal-Mart 2004..
It keeps the lions away...
There are no lions here...
See... it works don't it.

WalkingWolf

I never get asked why, just "Is that real?". I have been tempted to reply "Yes it is, but it has been getting bigger since I started using those blue pills."

A few years back a child did ask me if my beard was real, he didn't even notice the handgun. Certain times of the year I have been mistaken for Santa.

Last edited:

solus

i have only been shocked one time several years ago when young man walked up to me out of the blue and immediately said:

is that a model xyz, with the ## mag plus one, which has a polymer-frame featuring blah blah blah forged barrel, and has such and such muzzle velocity...then he ended with

SWEET!

damn, he knew more about my firearm than i did and all he could see was the grip sticking out of the holster. after a brief conversation, we met up the following week and he ran through about 100 rounds and walked away even more enthralled with my primary carry firearm.

ipse

mikeyb

I never get asked why, just "Is that real?". I have been tempted to reply "Yes it is, but it has been getting bigger since I started using those blue pills."

"It's real, and it's spectacular!" - Done in the tone of Terri Hatcher's role on Seinfeld. Probably best delivered by a female. Might be a tad awkward for a male delivery. Unless on Capitol Hill.

ADulay

Saturday night date night, my wife's choice, and the assistant manager is cleaning off the table next to ours and she asks me the above question. My wife looks at me and shakes her head, body language for "don't say it". I of course smirk, and then say with a straight face , "My doctor prescribed it. You see I get these really huge embarrassing hard on s, and he said if I carried a gun on my hip no one would notice, seems to work." ..

Jsanchez,

That is now so stolen and I'll be using that one if the time and place all come together for it.

Thanks.

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I was stopped by a LEO once. He asked "Are you carrying a gun sir?" "Yes, I am, aren't you?" was my reply......and he drew his weapon on me. I no longer use that "ice breaker" in conversation.

Now I reply, "Yes Ma'am, I am, for the better protection of my family."

arizonaopa

when with the grandkids

I have been asked that question by snowbirds when they see my gun and my granddaughters. My reply is to point to the girls and say that at 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 they aren't going to be bothered by some jerk with evil on their mind.

papa bear

not as funny but truthful

a little old lady asked me that in a bank one time

i said." i carry so if someone wants to harm me or rob me i will be ready, and i carry in the open so nobody will be tempted to"

this seemed to satisfy her

nemo

I was stopped by a LEO once. He asked "Are you carrying a gun sir?" "Yes, I am, aren't you?" was my reply......and he drew his weapon on me.

Sorry that I did not note this post, earlier. Another poster has correctly stated that this display of very bad manners would have gotten the LEO lawfully shot in self-defense (I, too, was taken off-guard by a LEO response to my legal display of arms, long ago, when I first stated to OC; I now regard LEO's far more carefully than other civilians, as they are far more dangerous).

So what is the rest of the story AFTER he drew his weapon?