• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I found this to be almost unbelievable

The Big Dog

My sister and I are planning to make our fist visit to our fathers grave site at the Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent today, being Memorial Day it seems like the thing to do. I got a call from my sister last night, who knows I open carry everywhere, to inform me the cemetery has a NO WEAPONS policy. I was blown away.... I had no idea the NO WEAPONS POLICY even existed. I'm certain I was packing a gun the day of my fathers services, I had a long coat on that day so I would have been CC but had no idea I was breaking the POLICY of the VA.

WEAPONS POLICY

VA regulations 38 CFR 1.218 prohibit the carrying of firearms (either openly or concealed), explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons while on VA property, except for official purposes, such as military funeral honors. Possession of firearms on any property under the charge and control of VA is prohibited. Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest.

Not only does the policy say carry of firearms is prohibited the policy goes on to states possession of firearms is prohibited. As if all that is not bad enough, the final sentence states "Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest."

Yes, I'm still going to visit the grave of my father today..... Yes, I'll still be taking my pistol with me.... Thinking it will be a CC event......

Just wondering is anyone else has ever heard of this policy or why it even exists..... Anyone ever heard of this policy being enforced???? For the life of me, I can not imagine why firearms would not be allowed at a National Cemetery..... Anyone got the answer?

Make certain you CC if you plan on going to Tahoma National Cemetery to pay your respects to a loved one.

tombrewster421

I believe that goes for any national cemetery, and yes, it's rather disgusting that our rights seem to be void when we go to pay respects to those who fought for the very same.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I attend Cemetery Services every year on Memorial Day. I will do so today, in uniform(Army) and openly armed with a 1911, well holstered. I have been approached only once in the many years I have been doing so. A LEO looked at me and commented/asked, "Is that loaded Sergeant?, well yes, it would be, wouldn't it?" I just smiled and went on with my duties.

You want to disarm me? Molon Labe.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I attend Cemetery Services every year on Memorial Day. I will do so today, in uniform(Army) and openly armed with a 1911, well holstered. I have been approached only once in the many years I have been doing so. A LEO looked at me and commented/asked, "Is that loaded Sergeant?, well yes, it would be, wouldn't it?" I just smiled and went on with my duties.

You want to disarm me? Molon Labe.

Could you post a picture of how that is worn with a uniform? (chest down is fine, I don't need you to expose your identity.)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Yes, my Sweet Baboo took some pics and when I get them I will post. There will also be pics and video on the Whatcom County fazeboog page.

The Memorial was frustrating as the speaker pontificated over the "loss of Freedom" and then commented that today was not for political pontificating. Everything else went pretty well. Great National Anthem. Only one comment about the pistol. It went like this....."I see your an Engineer, oh and packin too!" He then went on about how he should have brought his Thompson. Only myself and one Marine from Everett were there in uniform.

I wear a Black Funeral Duty belt w/black leather GO pistol holster.

Jeff Hayes

Yes, my Sweet Baboo took some pics and when I get them I will post. There will also be pics and video on the Whatcom County fazeboog page.

The Memorial was frustrating as the speaker pontificated over the "loss of Freedom" and then commented that today was not for political pontificating. Everything else went pretty well. Great National Anthem. Only one comment about the pistol. It went like this....."I see your an Engineer, oh and packin too!" He then went on about how he should have brought his Thompson. Only myself and one Marine from Everett were there in uniform.

I wear a Black Funeral Duty belt w/black leather GO pistol holster.

Well done Sir.

Dave_pro2a

The Memorial was frustrating as the speaker pontificated over the "loss of Freedom" and then commented that today was not for political pontificating.

Isn't that how the holiday started? Fed started it by saying it's a holiday for all soldiers, the cities and states in the North uses it as a political tool to repeatedly shame the south.

Meh. Anything the gov does (or an elected official) is political in nature.

Last edited:

DocWalker

My sister and I are planning to make our fist visit to our fathers grave site at the Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent today, being Memorial Day it seems like the thing to do. I got a call from my sister last night, who knows I open carry everywhere, to inform me the cemetery has a NO WEAPONS policy. I was blown away.... I had no idea the NO WEAPONS POLICY even existed. I'm certain I was packing a gun the day of my fathers services, I had a long coat on that day so I would have been CC but had no idea I was breaking the POLICY of the VA.

WEAPONS POLICY

VA regulations 38 CFR 1.218 prohibit the carrying of firearms (either openly or concealed), explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons while on VA property, except for official purposes, such as military funeral honors. Possession of firearms on any property under the charge and control of VA is prohibited. Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest.

Not only does the policy say carry of firearms is prohibited the policy goes on to states possession of firearms is prohibited. As if all that is not bad enough, the final sentence states "Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest."

Yes, I'm still going to visit the grave of my father today..... Yes, I'll still be taking my pistol with me.... Thinking it will be a CC event......

Just wondering is anyone else has ever heard of this policy or why it even exists..... Anyone ever heard of this policy being enforced???? For the life of me, I can not imagine why firearms would not be allowed at a National Cemetery..... Anyone got the answer?

Make certain you CC if you plan on going to Tahoma National Cemetery to pay your respects to a loved one.

One could argue that the "except for official purposes" covers self protection under the US Constitution.

DocWalker

Use that reasoning in court and let us know how it works out for you.

Your a very angry person arn't you?

I use suttle sarcasm to point out that the courts have ruled police have no duty to protect and that a reasonable solution would be to have the means to defend yourself. It might not work but if I was on a jury I would think it would be a reason to be armed.

CitizenJohn

See "Gotcha at Willamette VA National Cemetery" posted on Oregon Forum 9-25-13 for discussion.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Pursuant to 38 U.S.C. §901 [authority to prescribe rules], the following rules and regulations apply at all property under the charge and control of VA (and not under the charge and control of the General Services Administration) and to all persons entering in or on such property. The head of the facility is charged with the responsibility for the enforcement of these rules and regulations and shall cause these rules and regulations to be posted in a conspicuous place on the property.
(13) Weapons and explosives. No person while on property shall carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, except for official purposes.

"Official Purposes" has yet to be defined in a court of law.....
be aware that there is no federal case discussing the meaning of this specific exception to the law. While some claim it means that a person lawfully carrying a holstered handgun for self defense in a National Park should be able to carry it into the visitor's center, since self defense is "a lawful purpose," the people making such claims are not federal judges. The plain truth is that this provision has never been tested in federal court. The downside of being the first test case is that failure carries the potential penalty of federal prison.
(http://www.examiner.com/article/why...pon-into-the-kennesaw-mountain-visitor-center)

Last edited: