• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Fair?

glock22oc

The State Fair will be coming up in a few months and I was wondering if we are any closer to being able to carry at the fair?

Glock 1st fan

The state fair is tricky in that the fairgrounds are open but any government buildings would be off limits. Years ago tulsas expo was county owned making it illegal an you'd have to simply not go in. If this has changed and its privately owned it would be different.

I've carried for years and wear a threat level 3 duty holster and I for one would not want to oc at the fair due to way too many drunks, too many people pushing against you and if you had to use deadly force no possible way to avoid collateral casualties. Its the reason I simply do not go. That and everything is overpriced.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

hrdware

The State Fair in OKC believes they have the right to restrict firearms because they are leasing the property and put up a fence all the way around. Since they are controlling access to the area, they believe they can restrict carrying of firearms. (Even though the law says they can't).

It will likely take a court case to settle.

Amigatec

If the Tulsa state fair tells me I can't carry into the buildings at the fair ground, they will have to explain why they allow guns shows at the fair grounds.

I carry there anyway. Just do it CC.

glock22oc

Thanks guys. I was just wondering if anything had changed.. I went last year but didn't OC, I just swithced off to the G27 for CC. Maybe they will figure out someday that they can't restrict carry at the fair, until then it will just be hidden.

Glock 1st fan

If the Tulsa state fair tells me I can't carry into the buildings at the fair ground, they will have to explain why they allow guns shows at the fair grounds.

I carry there anyway. Just do it CC.

Just be careful because if they are in fact still government buildings they are prohibited places as defined on page 23 of the sda. I'm not sure if they are still county owned or not. I know the expo was supposed to be sponsored by one of the native american tribes and if transfered to their ownership then it could be banned by tribal law (possible not saying it is) but if tribe owned and banned then it could fall under the final section stating (other places prohibited by law)

Not familiar with tribal law so don't take this to heart.

Amigatec

I think they would have a very hard time enforcing any gun ban in the Qwiktrip center. You can't allow guns for a gun show, and then ban them for the state fair. If the fair grounds try's this I believe they would lose any case brought to court. It would be very bad to try to enforce any double standards.

Also the building may be sponsored by an Indian tribe, it's still owned by the county or city. And fair grounds or included in places were you CAN carry.

Also the last time I looked there was not a single sign posted anywhere.

Last edited:

Amigatec

Just be careful because if they are in fact still government buildings they are prohibited places as defined on page 23 of the sda. I'm not sure if they are still county owned or not. I know the expo was supposed to be sponsored by one of the native american tribes and if transfered to their ownership then it could be banned by tribal law (possible not saying it is) but if tribe owned and banned then it could fall under the final section stating (other places prohibited by law)

Not familiar with tribal law so don't take this to heart.

The building at the Tulsa State Fairgrounds ARE NOT prohibited from weapons!!!!! What part of this do you NOT understand!!!!

Ever attend a Gun show there?? There are thousands and thousands of guns in there and probably a few million rounds. I guess you haven't.

You sound more and more like an anti gun rights person with every post you make!!!

You add nothing but stupid comments on here!!!

Government building ARE not exempt from the law. The law states and it's clear you haven't read it, it states "for the purpose of doing business with the government". When attending the State Fair, I AM NOT doing business with the Government. I am doing business with a private vender.

Also just to set you straight, they CAN carry at a sporting event at the Fair Grounds. The law states "professional sporting event", when your kids enter an animal for a sporting event at the fair grounds it is NOT professional event.

And you call yourself a firearms instructor, maybe you should have YOUR permit revoked!!!

Last edited:

hrdware

The building at the Tulsa State Fairgrounds ARE NOT prohibited from weapons!!!!! What part of this do you NOT understand!!!!

Ever attend a Gun show there?? There are thousands and thousands of guns in there and probably a few million rounds. I guess you haven't.

You sound more and more like an anti gun rights person with every post you make!!!

Government building ARE not exempt from the law. The law states and it's clear you haven't read it, it states "for the purpose of doing business with the government". When attending the State Fair, I AM NOT doing business with the Government. I am doing business with a private vender.

Also just to set you straight, they CAN carry at a sporting event at the Fair Grounds. The law states "professional sporting event", when your kids enter an animal for a sporting event at the fair grounds it is NOT professional event.

And you call yourself a firearms instructor, maybe you should have YOUR permit revoked!!!

Actually, it wouldn't be hard to enforce this "double standard" rule as you call it.
The law reads as follows:
Title 21 said:
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed or unconcealed handgun into any of the following places:

1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
Title 21 said:
A. As used in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act:

1. "Concealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person;

2. "Unconcealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt holster or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and

3. "Pistol" means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:

a. has an overall length of less than sixteen (16) inches,

b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,

c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and

d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.

So now that we see what the law actually says lets address your points:
1) Government buildings - The law says a governmental building space for the purpose of conducting business with the public. While you specifically are not doing business with the government, someone did business with the government to lease the space. Last I knew, you couldn't use those buildings for free. You can argue that the horse barn isn't there for doing business with the public, but again, someone has to lease it from the government and therefore business with the public has been done.

2) Gun shows at the fairgrounds - The law says you can't carry any concealed or unconcealed handgun into said government building, so all those rifles at gun shows are exempt. Now we look at the definition of concealed or unconcealed. This could technically get you into trouble very easily as even an unloaded handgun could cause you to violate the law if you have your permit on you. Again the law says, "...in possession of a handgun license...". Leave the license in your car and you can carry handguns in the show all day long without fear of violating the law. In order to arrest you for violating this law, an officer would have to have RAS you were violating the law in order to check and see if you had a license on you.

Since your quote about who is doing business with whom is wrong, I would suggest picking up a current copy of the SDA (http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf) and reviewing what the law actually says before continuing to spread misinformation.

Aside from that, it really doesn't matter what you or I think the law means, it only matters what a judge thinks. Anyone who is an SDA instructor (and I am not) will always err on the side of caution when going over the law portion with a class.

Glock 1st fan

Wow kind of harsh but its cool. You really should reread the sda. And besides to aswer your question if you reread my statement it mostly left room for correction in the event my information about who owns it was wrong.

You can't carry at a professional sporting event that is law. Personally I only tell people what the law is. If you wanted to carry to a school for example its not me who's going to be arrested (only using this as an example) but id try to at least tell you before you did.

Anyway cool down and again just be careful. We may not be on the same wave length but I don't want to see you lose your permit

Last edited:

Amigatec

Once again show me where there is ANY exemption for Gin shows at the fair grounds!!!!

Come on I'm waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also reread the SDA where does it say ALL sporting events are off limits?????????

Come on I'm waiting for that too!!!!!!!!!!!

hrdware

Once again show me where there is ANY exemption for Gin shows at the fair grounds!!!!

Come on I'm waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In order for there to be an exception for gun shows, there would need to be a law prohibiting all weapons from government buildings and there isn't one.

It seems you interpret this lack of a no weapons law to mean you can legally carry a concealed handgun into a building at the fairgrounds. The fact is, state law specifically says (as cited earlier) that while you are in possession of an Oklahoma Handgun license, you can not carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun into a government building whose purpose is to do business with the public.

There it is, plain and simple. I don't see what is so hard about understanding that.

Last edited: