Thread: Fun and games at the Wal Mart on Atlanta Highway

Fun and games at the Wal Mart on Atlanta Highway

A fun evening at Wal Mart on Atlanta Highway. When I walked in the door, the young deputy sheriff crooked his finger at me in a "Come here" gesture. That got my blood pressure easing up immediately as I am most assuredly not a child to be summoned by some young squirt wearing a badge and a gun.

His first question was, "Are you law enforcement?" When I told him that I was not, he proceeded to tell me there was a sign on the door and I could not carry openly in Wal Mart.

He then wasted his time, and mine, looking all over for a sign I knew damn well was not there. Unfortunately, with my wife rushing me, I did not get a chance to get this overdressed child's name.

But it should tell each of you something that he was insistent, despite being told better, that there was a sign on the door.

Residents of Montgomery County, think long and hard about your choice for a new sheriff in the upcoming elections.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    A fun evening at Wal Mart on Atlanta Highway. When I walked in the door, the young deputy sheriff crooked his finger at me in a "Come here" gesture. That got my blood pressure easing up immediately as I am most assuredly not a child to be summoned by some young squirt wearing a badge and a gun.

His first question was, "Are you law enforcement?" When I told him that I was not, he proceeded to tell me there was a sign on the door and I could not carry openly in Wal Mart.

He then wasted his time, and mine, looking all over for a sign I knew damn well was not there. Unfortunately, with my wife rushing me, I did not get a chance to get this overdressed child's name.

But it should tell each of you something that he was insistent, despite being told better, that there was a sign on the door.

Residents of Montgomery County, think long and hard about your choice for a new sheriff in the upcoming elections.
    Why should citizens think long and hard about their choice of sheriff when you have stated, plain as day, that it was a deputy that detained you?

Yes.

"Detained", as in "prevented you from continuing about your business".

I got a "Hey, you with the pistol! Come here a second!" from a cop in Home Depot once.

I simply replied, "No thanks, officer. I don't need any assistance." and kept walking.

Oddly enough, he didn't follow.

I was fully prepared for him to do so, however. If he wanted to reiterate his desire for a conversation, I was ready with the verbal refusal for any further voluntary interaction with a closely followed, "Am I being detained?", but fortunately, it wasn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    Why should citizens think long and hard about their choice of sheriff when you have stated, plain as day, that it was a deputy that detained you?

Yes.

"Detained", as in "prevented you from continuing about your business".

I got a "Hey, you with the pistol! Come here a second!" from a cop in Home Depot once.

I simply replied, "No thanks, officer. I don't need any assistance." and kept walking.

Oddly enough, he didn't follow.

I was fully prepared for him to do so, however. If he wanted to reiterate his desire for a conversation, I was ready with the verbal refusal for any further voluntary interaction with a closely followed, "Am I being detained?", but fortunately, it wasn't necessary.
    Good reply. Cops who think that they can just stop one for no reason are goofy and should not be cops. It should NEVER happen.
    Do not take any postings to be the opinion of the poster .. poster may be posting opinions of others and not necessarily himself ... carry on

"Filing a notice of trespass with your local, county, state authorities , to keep all town employees off your land, would cut down on the government from interfering or harassing you, at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position" .. chk you local laws (disclaimer)
    [/I]

You would have to know all the history of the sheriff of this county. He, using taxpayer money, had signs printed up, "No Open Carry Allowed in this Business". His deputies gave the signs out to business owners and, it is alleged, told many of the owners they had to post the signs.

Thankfully, this sheriff is not seeking re-election. His chief deputy is running for the office and, from the accounts I have, fully endorses his boss' policies.

We have three political powerhouses in this state; the Alabama Sheriffs' Association, the Alabama Business Council, and the Alabama Education Association. In the case of firearms, it is usually the ASA that calls the shots with the legislature although the ABC and AEA will usually back them up.

Understand that I am not bashing law enforcement. I am bashing a political system in this state that has changed very little in my lifetime and, while not as corrupt as some I have seen, is one that needs desperately to be changed.

It was also far better that I had the conversation with this young man and taught him the error of his ways.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

When you tell them "no thanks"... they realize you know a few things about law.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

I've open carried a few places around Montgomery, never had any incidents.

You can thank Eye95 and the other Montgomery guys for making headway when they did....

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post

I got "the finger" too, a couple of year ago. I stopped and reciprocated...yes he came over. Before his first word I "requested" that he call a supervisor, I then pulled the audio recorder out of my shirt pocket and asked him to speak his full name and badge number into the recorder. He didn't say a word and walked away. I sent a nice little note, via e-mail, to the chief.

One of those late 20-something, shaved head, Oakley sunglasses wearing cops that is the look that is all the rage these days.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

Politicians are the tyrants 3000 miles away; thug cops are 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. (Adapted from Benjamin Martin, fictional character extraordinaire)

Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    One of those late 20-something, shaved head, Oakley sunglasses wearing cops that is the look that is all the rage these days.
    All too frequently, quite literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    You can thank Eye95 and the other Montgomery guys for making headway when they did....
    For all his on-line faults - this. He and the ALOC types deserve the recognition.

spam reported

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit