• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texan back with oc report and more questions

dirtyrice

Well I had a great trip last june, thanks for all the info. I carried my m&p9c in a serpa with no issues everywhere except I didn't in seattle because I was in a hurry and didn't have time to waste on a possible leo encounter. Went into winco in tacoma with no issues at night from their security guard, my friends gf said he did do a double take. When we got over to the beer aisle some younger guy was telling the female he was with that he didn't care what beer they got because he was already wasted. When the female saw my handgun she hurriedly told him to shush i'm assuming because she thought I was a leo. I was in jeans, boots and tshirts the whole time.

A pho place called pho ever is in the same strip mall, they're open until 4a.m. We went in there two nights in a tow around 2a.m. Girl behind the counter was all smiles and other customers didn't blink an eye.
Their fried rice and potstickers were pretty good too.

Most days I spent 8+ hours driving to and from the peninsula only stopping at gas stations or going through drive thrus. No problems ever from employees at any of them. We drove the full circle around olympic including the reservation that cape flattery is on, hoh rainforest, staircase, the beach, and wallace falls park. Only looks I got were from foreign tourists at hoh though none said anything and some were quite nice. Being from Texas I tend to say "How ya doing" to everyone I pass. We saw some elk in hoh and watched them with other hikers. Only one younger male at staircase gave me a ****** look and an elderly lady seemed a bit nervous when I said hello. Open carried at the hotel. All in all everything went well. Talked to a park ranger for a while one day while looking for scenic views.

This time I will be spending most of my time in seattle and plan to oc. Are there any businesses in seatyle thay are known to be pro gun. No where I want to go so far is on the gun free seattle list. I hope to add quite a few more businesses to friend or foe. And I have no problem leaving if asked. I'm gonna try to go get my cpl for to avoid unloading in the car, but I'll have to wait until monday(get in saturday) since the sheriffs office everyone recommended doesn't do cpl processing on the weekends.

So i'm mostly wondering about businesses to hit up and range recommendations. I will be bringing my sgl-21with me so I will need a place that allows fmj and bimetal jackets. Where I live many ranges closer to the city don't allow fmj rifle ammo, i'll be wanting to do some pistol shooting also. Would prefer outdoor but as long as it's a good range experience I don't mind indoor. I'd like to rent a .22lr for my friend's gf to start off on also. Thanks in advance. Can't wait to be back in Washington.

Alpine

The only thing I'll warn you about is avoid publicly owned stadiums, they are violating the RCWs that exempt CPL holders and banning all guns regardless.

Also, be careful even about public venues that are "leasing out." They are rampantly abusing the Sequim case to ban guns everywhere they can.

I have a feeling the libraries will soon be "permanently leased out."

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Glad you had a good time here in WA. I'm down south in Olympia area, and with my current work schedule I'm off Mondays and Tuesdays. So if you want to travel down South I will extend an invitation to go shooting out in Capitol Forest. I have a couple of .22 rifles to loan, and even have a bunch of ammo. Who knows I may even have my Sig 556xi "Russian" by then:)

dirtyrice

Thanks. I may take you up on the offer, I have family in olympia. Monday morning i'll be going to get my cpl. My friend grew up with me in Montana so he is good to go as far as gun handling. His gf has never shot before, which is why i'd like to take them shooting. Is this on blm or private land? What are there for targets?

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Thanks. I may take you up on the offer, I have family in olympia. Monday morning i'll be going to get my cpl. My friend grew up with me in Montana so he is good to go as far as gun handling. His gf has never shot before, which is why i'd like to take them shooting. Is this on blm or private land? What are there for targets?
A gravel pit, state forest. Bring your own targets. I have some "battleship targets" (http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Battle-Target-Pack/dp/B006ESIUHM). I have 9mm, and .45 pistols, AK, shotgun, .22. Basically anything you want to shoot. As long as you clean up after yourself, you can shoot about anything. (No tannerite)

Last edited:

dirtyrice

Any other range recommendations? Also would it be a good or bad idea to oc when I go to the silverdale sheriffs office? I have a Texas permit, just need to get a wa one, everyone said kitsap county was pretty quick about it.

kparker

Any other range recommendations? Also would it be a good or bad idea to oc when I go to the silverdale sheriffs office? I have a Texas permit, just need to get a wa one, everyone said kitsap county was pretty quick about it.

Will you be staying anywhere near Tacoma? I could arrange a very nice range trip in that case.

Regarding the Silverdale Sheriff's Office: you might want to follow your Seattle logic here. Everything I've heard about them as far as issuing out-of-state CPL's is wonderful; why raise the attention of the (hypothetical) one rogue officer or employee?

Vitaeus

Open Carry is fine at the Kitsap Sheriff's office, just remember that if you drive there to unload the firearm to avoid breaking RCW 9.41.050

"A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle."

silly distinction, but it's the law currently

dirtyrice

Well my seattle logic was only for my first trip up there last year for a week lol as I only entered seattle twice and was on a very tight schedule. My friend now lives in seattle so I will be ocing in seattle for a week. I hope to add lots of businesses to friend or foe while i'm there. I only want to get my permit to avoid having to unload when getting in the car and maybe a conceal once or twice if I feel it is prudent. I planned to throw on some slacks, dress shirt and my serpa when I go to the sheriffs office.

Right now we were thinking about just going to Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club or Poulsbo Sportsman Club as they are just north of silver/port orchard. We planned to drive to the sheriffs office monday morning(the 9th), I do what I have to do as far as my cpl and then we go to the range. Of course we would have to go back through tacoma anyways. So depending on what you had in mind that could work. I'll have a 5.45x39 ak with me, m&p9c, browning hipower and a s&w .22 for my friends gf to shoot. I'd still like to get a hold of a .22 rifle for her to shoot but I didn't have the cash to spend before my trip and my uncle only has one really old .22 he has had to do some work on, don't know if I want to bother asking to use it.

Last edited: