Thread: OC on foot?

OC on foot?

hey guys, im new to OC. I live in columbus area and crime is pretty bad here. I get off work at nights and i walk home. i was wondering about current laws on OC'ing and advice on LEO confrontation

Welcome to OCDO. I have been stopped by Columbus police twice. Both times the police did not demand id or disarm me.

If approached by the police do not touch your firearm. Most of the time the police have been called by someone that seem you and they are investigating the "man with a gun" to see if you are a threat. Smile and you should be on your way in a matter of moments.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Open Carry is legal and protected by the Ohio constitution. Even better, Ohio Revised Code 9.68 gives Ohio state laws preemption over local laws regarding firearms so a city or whatever cannot restrict them more than the state does. As long as you obey gun buster signs and if asked to leave, you leave, you should be fine.

I don't live in your area, and I've never been stopped by the police so I don't have any direct knowledge or experience in that regard, but N605TW's advice looks sound to me.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Open Carry is legal and protected by the Ohio constitution. Even better, Ohio Revised Code 9.68 gives Ohio state laws preemption over local laws regarding firearms so a city or whatever cannot restrict them more than the state does. As long as you obey gun buster signs and if asked to leave, you leave, you should be fine.

I don't live in your area, and I've never been stopped by the police so I don't have any direct knowledge or experience in that regard, but N605TW's advice looks sound to me.
    Can you clarify what you mean by 'obeying gun buster signs' and 'if asked to leave you leave'?

So, are you saying ignore the gun buster signs and if they ask you to leave, then leave? Or if there is no gun buster sign and they still tell you to leave to leave? I was under the assumption that if private property posts a gun buster sign and then you are ignoring the warning which can lead to charges being pressed for trespassing, since you were 'warned' prior via the signage.
    Last edited by theswissartist; 06-02-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Don't think JustaShooter will mind me doing a bit of clarification: Regarding private property, if you don't see signs prohibiting carry but an employee/owner/etcetera sees your gun and asks you to leave, leave. Obviously if they do have signage, don't go in there armed. Better yet, don't go in there at all if you don't have to. First, it will keep your safer since those signs don't stop criminals from doing what they do. Secondly, I'd rather spend my money with businesses who at least tolerate, or better yet welcome, "our kind" if you will.

One other bit of advice I can't believe any one has offered you yet: It is a particularly good idea to have a voice recorder along when open carrying. Mostly with regards to encounters with law enforcement personnel, and also any folks you come across who try to make an unpleasant issue out of your armed status.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    Don't think JustaShooter will mind me doing a bit of clarification: Regarding private property, if you don't see signs prohibiting carry but an employee/owner/etcetera sees your gun and asks you to leave, leave. Obviously if they do have signage, don't go in there armed. Better yet, don't go in there at all if you don't have to. First, it will keep your safer since those signs don't stop criminals from doing what they do. Secondly, I'd rather spend my money with businesses who at least tolerate, or better yet welcome, "our kind" if you will.

One other bit of advice I can't believe any one has offered you yet: It is a particularly good idea to have a voice recorder along when open carrying. Mostly with regards to encounters with law enforcement personnel, and also any folks you come across who try to make an unpleasant issue out of your armed status.
    Thank for that. I typically carry my phone with me anywhere I go, so I will get some apps for voice to reduce storage.

I guess I have another question, (sorry for derailing) but what gives an on/off-duty policeman the ability to ignore signage? I've noticed for a long time that police almost always seem to be carrying even when doing normal business.
    I see that the signage says "unless otherwise authorized by law...", does anyone have the locations police get above and beyond the normal citizen OCing or someone who has a CC permit?

Is this kind of a we let it slide for police thing and they are technically breaking the law, or are they given authority under law to carry practically anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    This, exactly. Thanks for the clarification - I phrased that poorly.
    NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by theswissartist View Post
    Thank for that. I typically carry my phone with me anywhere I go, so I will get some apps for voice to reduce storage.

I guess I have another question, (sorry for derailing) but what gives an on/off-duty policeman the ability to ignore signage? I've noticed for a long time that police almost always seem to be carrying even when doing normal business.
    Look up 'LEOSA" (Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act) both on these forums and also some info site like Wikipedia. No it doesn't give off-duty police carte blanche to carry everyplace, but most times there's wide latitude given by law enforcement in the jurisdiction being visited. Before Congress passed LEOSA there were incidents in which agencies like the NYPD would arrest cops visiting from other states, even if they were there to train or do something else job-related.

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I am in Columbus quite frequently (I live in Delaware county, just a small jog from the Polaris area in Lewis Center). Columbus cops seem to be quite professional and leave you alone. I've never been stopped by one although I know for a fact many have seen me OC'ing. I have gotten some polite and fun comments from cops, all good natured and polite ("Looks like you play to win!" and "Is that the SR45? How does it shoot?", etc). This applies across central Ohio in my experience, and in fact I've never been harassed anywhere I've gone in Ohio yet (by cops I mean). I open carry nearly daily and have years of experience under my belt now, so as far as I'm concerned the Columbus PD has been brought up to speed and are a thumbs up organization in this regard.
    I'm what Willis was talking about.

http://www.ohiocarry.org/legality-of-oc.html This link should give you everything you need to know on OC in Ohio. http://www.ohiocarry.org/laws--court-cases.html This link should help with other factors that go along with OC in Ohio. Hope this helps.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” - Thomas Jefferson

My suggestion is:
    o Perhaps carry a pamphlet or copy of the law(s), but don't force them to take them.
    o Have a lawyer on speed dial and apprise him of your situation.
    o Be aware of the law and any special situations in the city you are in (some really big cities have special laws enforced by the State, like, I think, PA.)
    o Turn on your recorder (or two) when you leave the house
    o Have $1M Umbrella insurance ($60/year)
    o Learn various phrases 'Why am I being detained, am I free to go; Am I legally required to do that', 'can I get you a Latte', etc.
    o Did I mention having a recorder running?
    o Try to find another OC-er with some experience to walk with you.

but above all, do NOT:

OC while walking a small dog or with a baby carriage. You are sure to cause at least 8 Squads to respond. It's not known why but we are researching this.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Be aware of the law and any special situations in the city you are in (some really big cities have special laws enforced by the State, like, I think, PA.)
    Ohio has preemption for firearms laws so that isn't something the OP needs to worry about - well, other than illegal local laws, but the various Ohio 2A groups are doing a pretty good job of finding those and getting them fixed.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9
    but above all, do NOT:

OC while walking a small dog or with a baby carriage. You are sure to cause at least 8 Squads to respond. It's not known why but we are researching this.
    We HAVE been researching this for years, haven't we?

You would think we would be a little closer to finding the cause.

------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Walking small dog and pushing baby stroller

So if I am "walking a small dog AND pushing a baby stroller" will 16 squads show up...???

Quote Originally Posted by Lthrnck View Post
    So if I am "walking a small dog AND pushing a baby stroller" will 16 squads show up...???
    I think then you qualify for air support, or an MRAP:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRAP_Cat_1_navistar.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	11736
    Last edited by Maverick9; 06-25-2014 at 10:59 AM.

I no longer have a dog or small enough kids to fit in a stroller... since I'm new to this forum... was that tongue-in-cheek or an inside joke, or is that a demographic that in fact seems to cause alarm? Ha!