• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Stop that gets vocally confrontational

Vagrant

[video=youtube_share;HowJ8NzMRHo]http://youtu.be/HowJ8NzMRHo[/video]

I give this guy some respect to the fact that it took 6 police officers coming at him trying to basically do whatever they wanted to him (oh I'm patting you down..... who on earth just suddenly gets pat down if say they were not open carrying ).

I understand exactly how he feels I get off late with a friend and he doesn't really know how to drive manual transmission cars, so I opted to show him in a church parking lot when we got off work at 10 pm or so, so he could get used to shifting and giving his left leg a work out without stress of being on a road.

and this police car comes along and sees us, decides to drive past the church lot as though he was "sneaky" and park in a location adjacent to us as though I wouldn't notice where he observed my friends shifting antics with my car for a good 10 minutes, me watching him the entire time.

He comes out of hiding and "pulls us" walking to the car basically to say what are you guys doing. To which my friend says comically "learnin to drive this damn thing, what did it look like to you?".

He replied by saying it's kinda late to be driving a car in a parking lot to teach them stick, and my annoyance kicked In when I replied... so you work a night shift and your telling us I should only teach someone how to drive in the day time? To which he asked for my friends License and told us to have a nice night.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Sadly, the police probably would then just wait for the vehicle to leave the parking lot and stop them again on the public roadway.

Sent by carrier pigeon...

Vagrant

Sadly, the police probably would then just wait for the vehicle to leave the parking lot and stop them again on the public roadway.

Sent by carrier pigeon...

Yeah if they wanted to be dicks, they could but he had his camera phone on, that whole pat down **** would have been my straw, if 6 police officers surround me and more then likely unsnap in front of me like hell your gonna invade my personal space, if you wanna talk let's talk, but illegal search?

I'd have taken 2 steps back and said whoah what are you doing? And when the officer asks him if he can have his gun, I would have asked all of them for my safety can they remove their tasers, pepper spray and firearms, and if they refused then I would refuse too.

solus

now, if the individual in the video was 'innocently' stopped then they should be walking fast to an attorney, then the bank.

HOWEVER, it would appear, the entire scenario was apparently staged for thrill of irritating the police and getting their 15 minutes of fame from the video being posted on the internet.

therefore, sorry, who cares.

now teaching someone how to use a standard drive vehicle takes more guts than i possess...lol.

ipse

Baked on Grease

Yeah if they wanted to be dicks, they could but he had his camera phone on, that whole pat down **** would have been my straw, if 6 police officers surround me and more then likely unsnap in front of me like hell your gonna invade my personal space, if you wanna talk let's talk, but illegal search?

I'd have taken 2 steps back and said whoah what are you doing? And when the officer asks him if he can have his gun, I would have asked all of them for my safety can they remove their tasers, pepper spray and firearms, and if they refused then I would refuse too.

You take a step back and you'll end up on the ground with a few bruises at least. They see that as agressive action (if you lift your hands up) or attempt to flee.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
why should the citizen move? I would have stayed right there ... telling them to keep their hands where I could see them.

heckle

On private property, should have refused the license demand.

Not sure about in NC but up here in CT, I believe that after "normal business hours", the "public" (access property) turns into "private" property. So, did they have permission to be on the Churches private property? If not, then would it not be trespassing? And no, I did not watch the video yet (young ones are sleeping).

WalkingWolf

You take a step back and you'll end up on the ground with a few bruises at least. They see that as agressive action (if you lift your hands up) or attempt to flee.

That has been ruled on in 4th district court State v Black for NC. The justices ruled that a open carry firearm is not RAS for a Terry Stop, and when Black removed himself from the situation the officers stopped him and searched him. The arrest was thrown out. We already know that SCOTUS has ruled that recording a public building in public is not against the law, and a violation of civil rights.

Whether the person was attempting to get his 15 minutes of fame does not matter. The officers acted illegally violating the rights, considering that where this happened, the officers would have to be aware of the 4th district courts ruling. All officers involved should be fired, the city should pay a hefty settlement.

Vagrant

I'm sorry but taking a back step when being moved on is not aggressive, at best it's a defensive action so someone is not within your space. If you take 2 measured steps back and said umm what are you doing, the officer might get curious but you can just as easily say you don't like when people are in your space especially when your armed.

If I swatted at his arm or something like that, that's aggressive action.

Baked on Grease

That has been ruled on in 4th district court State v Black for NC. The justices ruled that a open carry firearm is not RAS for a Terry Stop, and when Black removed himself from the situation the officers stopped him and searched him. The arrest was thrown out. We already know that SCOTUS has ruled that recording a public building in public is not against the law, and a violation of civil rights.

Whether the person was attempting to get his 15 minutes of fame does not matter. The officers acted illegally violating the rights, considering that where this happened, the officers would have to be aware of the 4th district courts ruling. All officers involved should be fired, the city should pay a hefty settlement.

Oh I know Black very well. Loved the wordi g the judges used. But if the cop feels hw has the authority to stop and frisk you, no court case is going to stop him at that point in time. If you make a movement like the ones I posed and the person I quoted, a court case won't stop the cop from reacting violently.

CDT COX

I laughed out loud when the officer asked what year his birthday was and he said "every year"

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not sure about in NC but up here in CT, I believe that after "normal business hours", the "public" (access property) turns into "private" property. So, did they have permission to be on the Churches private property? If not, then would it not be trespassing? And no, I did not watch the video yet (young ones are sleeping).

A cite would be nice.