• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Most awesome OC event ever.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I was at home today, and saw some LDS missionaries walking down the far side of my street. They finally made it to my house, and as always 1911 on one side 10 round mag on the other to answer the door. I consider myself non-denominational when it comes to religion. What I thought was going to be a very short visit turned into 30 minute plus conversation. Very pro-gun, and one of the kids said he had a .40 back home in AZ. I asked if he was kidding, and he said no he was serious. I said hold that thought, and got a box of .40 ammo that I don't have a use for and gave it to him. Good kids, good conversation, and I'm still a non-d kinda guy who can appreciate a person not for their religion but their overall way of thinking.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Most LDS lean to the conservative side and are carry pro gun.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alpine

Most of them I've met seem like good people, you can never stereotype a whole group based on a few. That said, about their political leanings, they are all over the place. I've met some LDS who seem conservative, and I've also met some who are extreme Commutarians and their religious interpretation makes Marx look like Goldwater. Like any big group, they are a box of chocolates.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Most of them I've met seem like good people, you can never stereotype a whole group based on a few. That said, about their political leanings, they are all over the place. I've met some LDS who seem conservative, and I've also met some who are extreme Commutarians and their religious interpretation makes Marx look like Goldwater. Like any big group, they are a box of chocolates.

Some nuts, some nugget filled :)

HPmatt

LDS was okay w letting Boy Scouts accept gays, even after Scotus ruling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

solus

the local community take care of their own in time of crisis as well as the local communities with their efforts w/home storage centers and they have more than personal food stuffs, supplies stored for use when the SHTF.

very good group of people but as in all communities there are some extremes.

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
One must appreciate a particular precept of the LDS; that provision will be made for all souls on Earth passing through this vale. More babies is faster processing. Full disclosure, ex-LDS jack-Mormon spouse, it was FUN while it lasted, a sailor's dream.
Okay, my curiosity has gotten the better of me. What does "jack-Mormon" and "a sailor's dream?" mean?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...What does "jack-Mormon" ...mean?...

Opposite of a Molly Mormon... :)

There are lots of Mormons in southern NV. Many of my friends in school were Mormons because most of them are decent people.

They are active in politics, mostly conservative. Many are gun owners.

F350

Dingy Harry Reid is Mormon.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I am from Utah and have a lot of family and friends whom are LDS

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I wasn't really trying to start a thread on the aspects of religion, good, bad etc. I was just relaying an enjoyable discussion with a couple of young men that came to my door that happened to be LDS. Kind of like when I have a good discussion with a person in a store, who I might describe as an older gentleman, or service member.

sudden valley gunner

I wasn't really trying to start a thread on the aspects of religion, good, bad etc. I was just relaying an enjoyable discussion with a couple of young men that came to my door that happened to be LDS. Kind of like when I have a good discussion with a person in a store, who I might describe as an older gentleman, or service member.

+1

Jeff Hayes

+2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Be advised

Forum Rules

(9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE: Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.

Liberty-or-Death

I didn't know quoting a historical figure and remarking that the content is untenable qualified as a HATE rule violation.

μολών λαβέ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I didn't know quoting a historical figure and remarking that the content is untenable qualified as a HATE rule violation.

μολών λαβέ

What you said was " here is an example, a taste of why I find their faith detestable" QED - you are attacking their faith.

If I were to quote and critique Mein Kampf or The Communist Manifesto here on OCDO because it is historic, should that then be justified though it has nothing directly to do with OC, RKBA, or the 2A? (rhetorical)

Some things do not belong on OCDO.

jfrey123

Was in a LDS Boy Scout troop growing up in Northern Nevada, ended up being baptized and practicing for a few years before I decided it wasn't for me. But in my 10 years tied to LDS, there were always guns around. Father/Son camping trips always featured shooting as an activity.