Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA shames open-carry demonstrators as ‘downright foolish’ in national media TWT

NRA shames open-carry demonstrators as ‘downright foolish’ in national media TWT

The National Rifle Association issued a statement recently shaming a Texas gun-rights group for crossing the line “from enthusiasm to downright foolishness.”

Last month, members from the group Open Carry Texas walked into Texas-area outlets of Sonic and Chili’s restaurants carrying assault rifles. The demonstration caused the restaurants to issue a statement requesting customers keep their guns concealed.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ownright-fool/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...geaZeJoffLj-uM 26 articles ATM

Remember that the NRA business model is P4P - selling perquisites privileges for permitees.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-02-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Ah, the NRA .. the nations largest gun control organization.

Gotta love 'em !

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Ah, the NRA .. the nations largest gun control organization. Gotta love 'em !
    Gun-control from the NRA-right or the Brady-left are merely control, the baloney slice obverse and reverse.

I'm pretty upset with the NRA right now and this is what I was really worried about...all the anti gun groups and news outlets are picking this story up. Dang...I saw more stories but I can't find them now...doh!!

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...dos?cmpid=yhoo

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-gun-grou...203030317.html
    Member:
    GOA-Life, NRA, WCI.

G00gle's up to 67 articles of Breaking News.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phleye View Post
    I'm pretty upset with the NRA right now and this is what I was really worried about...all the anti gun groups and news outlets are picking this story up. Dang...I saw more stories but I can't find them now...doh!!

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...dos?cmpid=yhoo

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-gun-grou...203030317.html
    Not me .. of course I never gave the NRA a dime ... i know what they are

The NRA has never supported open carry, they always push for conceal carry. The reason why is they are the number one state recognized training certification course. If the CCW laws were written as constitutional carry were you could legally carry openly or concealed so long as your not barred by law from owning a firearm, that requires no government permission slip(CCW). They would loose millions a year because no one would need to take their courses anymore. I am not a fan of CCW permits not because of the person carrying, but requiring a person to pay for a permission slip to exercise their rights. Another huge reason I am not a NRA member on top of their harassing phone calls for money.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    The NRA has never supported open carry, they always push for conceal carry. The reason why is they are the number one state recognized training certification course. If the CCW laws were written as constitutional carry were you could legally carry openly or concealed so long as your not barred by law from owning a firearm, that requires no government permission slip(CCW). They would loose millions a year because no one would need to take their courses anymore. I am not a fan of CCW permits not because of the person carrying, but requiring a person to pay for a permission slip to exercise their rights. Another huge reason I am not a NRA member on top of their harassing phone calls for money.
    This. They have a monopoly on CC instructors and don't want to lose that captive market. Currently the only way to carry a gun in your day to day routine is to get a CHL, which requires an expensive course provided by NRA or TSRA certified instructors.

C2i2

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    This. They have a monopoly on CC instructors and don't want to lose that captive market. Currently the only way to carry a gun in your day to day routine is to get a CHL, which requires an expensive course provided by NRA or TSRA certified instructors.
    Yes, this is the reality, the Concealed Carry Instruction Industry - C2I2 - is a for profit business model that does not like something that reduces their profits.

The open carry movement and constitutional carry are the poison pills for C2I2.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Frustration!!

I am a lifetime member of the NRA. This frustrates me so much. And you wonder why I am a pessimist about our cause.

The percentage of gun owners who would seriously consider OCLG is infinitesimally small. Not the demographic the NRA claims to be looking out for. . The NRA is a joke whose purpose is not to protect our gun rights, but to push the agenda of its most important members....the gun and ammo manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    The percentage of gun owners who would seriously consider OCLG is infinitesimally small. Not the demographic the NRA claims to be looking out for. . The NRA is a joke whose purpose is not to protect our gun rights, but to push the agenda of its most important members....the gun and ammo manufacturers.
    Open carry is good for gun and ammo manufacturers. Typical OC guns are the more expensive larger guns, especially ARs when compared to handguns. Rifle ammo and large caliber handgun ammo is more expensive then typical conceal carry ammo, if in the same class.

Money is the key but not from gun and ammo manufacturers, but from the pay for privilege consortium/industry that NRA has created. Constitutional carry that is recognized by most if not all states would doom NRA to it's previous numbers when their mission was sport shooting.

Handgun ownership was low in late 18th and early 19th century, the common arm carried by the public was~~wait for it~~~~~the long gun. It was and still is the most practical weapon for self defense, not the most comfortable, but the most effective thereby practical.

The NRA is in the gun control law business, they have been since there original goal changed from teaching Yankees how to better kill people who rise up against the government.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Campaign Veteran
    "The National Rifle Association issued a statement recently shaming a Texas gun-rights group for crossing the line “from enthusiasm to downright foolishness.” -- Nightmare

The NRA only "shames" itself, in part, by showing its cluelessness on the "what & wherefores" of OC-ing.

Unfortunately, only the "cognoscenti" of gun owners know this, but being so few in number it probably won't make any impact whatsoever in the "Public Relations War" going on now of demonizing/ridiculing the OC-ing folks in the Great State of Texas. Most certainly the general public is clueless/ignorant on the subject also and only know/believe what the also-ignorant media tells them.

Heck, even most CC-ers (who, as we well know, don't like the rest of us OC-ing HANDGUNS, let alone long-guns) and many OC-ers of handguns don't get it, either.

I think the NRA should EDUCATE ITSELF on the concept of OC-ing FIRST before being so critical, as they are WAY behind the learning-curve here.

And they shouldn't "consult" with the Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA) there in TX, as they have ALWAYS been against OCing (even of handguns, IIRC). I'm not aware of the TSRA's position changing (if they have, someone correct me) -- as they wanted to "focus on getting CC on university campuses" through the state legislature back then, not dealing with "distractions" like pushing for OC-ing handguns in general -- so if the TSRA is atill anti-OC in general, I suspect the they'd side with the NRA on condemning the TX OC folks. Even those who OC responsibly (meaning MOST of them).
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 06-03-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post

the common arm carried by the public was~~wait for it~~~~~the long gun.

<snip>.
    Glad I waited .... felt gooood. And spot on too.

And with most LG carry, no training is required, no permit, no $$$ spent.

So carry of a LG actually may be less expensive than a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
    Unfortunately, only the "cognoscenti" of gun owners know this,...
    Another word for elites. Either we are equal or we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Glad I waited .... felt gooood. And spot on too.

And with most LG carry, no training is required, no permit, no $$$ spent.

So carry of a LG actually may be less expensive than a handgun.
    I think the operative word in that quote is "was". Society has moved on, some folks haven't kept up.

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    I think the operative word in that quote is "was". Society has moved on, some folks haven't kept up.
    And some people still think we are subjects...
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Open carry is good for gun and ammo manufacturers. Typical OC guns are the more expensive larger guns, especially ARs when compared to handguns. Rifle ammo and large caliber handgun ammo is more expensive then typical conceal carry ammo, if in the same class.

Money is the key but not from gun and ammo manufacturers, but from the pay for privilege consortium/industry that NRA has created. Constitutional carry that is recognized by most if not all states would doom NRA to it's previous numbers when their mission was sport shooting.

Handgun ownership was low in late 18th and early 19th century, the common arm carried by the public was~~wait for it~~~~~the long gun. It was and still is the most practical weapon for self defense, not the most comfortable, but the most effective thereby practical.

The NRA is in the gun control law business, they have been since there original goal changed from teaching Yankees how to better kill people who rise up against the government.
    +1

In the mid 80's as a young one we'd carry our .22's LG's with us on our dirt bikes or walking down the road to go to a farmers field to shoot some rabbits. No one flipped out, how quickly things change.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

In the Sixties I shot crow, for the bounty, over all the neighboring farms. The best shooting, though, was shooting opossum over our field of cantaloupe that surrounded the ranch house.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    http://www.nranews.com/cam/video/chr...rts-open-carry

I can't watch the whole video right now can someone summarize the contents for us? Its some 'alpha' NRA guy clarifying the NRA's (proclaimed) position on open carry. Edit: and I guess on the happenings in Texas
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 06-03-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

"We've been the leader in open carry efforts across the country." - Chris Cox, NRA

I think that about sums it.

Campaign Veteran
    Nightmare,

The word "cognoscenti" is used to indicate the more educated individuals on these matters, specifically those gun-owners educated on OC-ing. Nothing "elitist" (or snooty) about it -- besides, I used quotation marks around it, to indicate I was exercising "poetic license" in its use, if you will (as I often do with words).

So I meant a small group of mostly OC-ers (but not ALL OC-ers for sure, and definitely NOT most CC-ers) who know more about this than most others, certainly more than most CC-ers, the general public and media people -- and apparently, even more than the NRA! I'm talking about WHY we OC and WHY it's important (and even why TX should be doing the same as the rest of us).

And as for everyone being equal or not, they ain't. And it'll never happen, as people never HAVE been equal (on so many levels). For specific example, the ignorant and downright stupid will always be the majority. They always have been. Yes, even THAT sounds "elitist" but frankly, if FACTS can be elitist, then so be it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think it best to retreat to an area of the Forum where I'll be "safer" from these controversial issues, like checking on how many people are going to be at our next 2 OC Events coming up this month here in Colorado...so you may now resume your normal programming without any further interruptions from me.

:-)

Cheers...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 06-04-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Paragraph 2 eidited for clarity

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    "We've been the leader in open carry efforts across the country." - Chris Cox, NRA

I think that about sums it.
    Isn't that a bit of a stretch? I honest don't know, I've been very unaware of any major effort by the NRA to promote open carry or the lessening of open carry restrictions
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Isn't that a bit of a stretch? I honest don't know, I've been very unaware of any major effort by the NRA to promote open carry or the lessening of open carry restrictions
    Basicly "We did not expect a backlash or GOA to step up to the plate" "Excuse us while we wipe egg off of our face."
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Definitely damage control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast