Thread: Standoff Laser device can detect alcohol in cars.

Standoff Laser device can detect alcohol in cars.

The use of the device is simple: The laser system is set up on the side of the road to monitor each car that passes by. If alcohol vapors are detected in the car, a message with a photo of the car including its number plate is sent to a police officer waiting down the road. Then, the police officer stops the car and checks for signs of alcohol using conventional tests.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-06-laser-d...ohol-cars.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

...The researchers simulated alcohol vapor coming from a human lung by evaporating a water solution of alcohol of an appropriate concentration and at an appropriate temperature...
    God forbid you actually drink a beer and exhale in the name of science.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    No against the law to drive in a high EtOH environment .... not PC or RAS to me.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    ... not PC or RAS to me.
    I agree. At MOST, it should only be able to be used to tell officers which car to look at for signs of impaired driving. That said, "you were weaving" is the oldest trick in the book.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I agree. At MOST, it should only be able to be used to tell officers which car to look at for signs of impaired driving. That said, "you were weaving" is the oldest trick in the book.
    I thought the oldest one was "You/Your vehicle match a suspects description."

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk

With Ethanol in gas tanks now, who's to say that the 'alcohol fumes' might not be from a fuel leak? Or maybe a fuel can in the trunk?
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 06-02-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    With Ethanol in gas tanks now, who's to say that the 'alcohol fumes' might not be from a fuel leak? Or maybe a fuel can in the trunk?
    Or a drunk friend threw up in the passenger seat.. or a bottle in the trunk broke on your way home from the supermarket... or you cook with alcohol and some spilled on your clothes... or... or... or...

There are many many reasons that could explain a positive hit of alcohol fumes near a vehicle, very few I would consider RAS/PC to pull over a driver.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Baked on Grease; 06-02-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That's why I weave in my lane anyways .... all the time, not just when I'm stinking drunk. Figure if they pull me over for weaving, I have a good shot of not being drunk. Gotta play the odds sometimes.