• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washoe County Candidate Information

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
It is kind of last minute, so I apologize, but I have been gathering some notes on candidates to educate myself on who to vote for....

And I figured others might benefit from my notes, so I am posting them here: http://washoeweapons.org/vote2014.htm

It is a little rough right now but I'll try to make it a little bit nicer.

If you know anything about Washoe County Candidates (or state candidates) that would appear on a Washoe County ballot that is relevant to weapons and you'd like to share, I can try to update the site.

I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can about Washoe County candidates and what their positions are when it comes to weapons.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I haven't mentioned who I supported and I certainly don't support someone just because I have them listed. In fact, in some cases they are listed so that you can see just how anti-gun some of their statements are, like Thomas Tighe who puts right on his website that he supports Universal Background Checks. I don't quote that statement as a measure of support, but rather as a warning.

These are just my notes that I gathered about each candidate. Basically, it is a collection of phone interview notes, published public comments regarding guns, e-mail responses, voting records etc.

I don't support a particular candidate yet as many of the candidates have not yet responded to my questionaire's that I have e-mailed them.

In some cases, for a particular race there is no clear "Best gun rights supporter." For some candidates we have voting records, if they all had voting records it would be easy. The problem is that most of them don't have a voting record. And those who do don't have a perfect voting record.

And we all know how politicians love to dodge political questions, misdirect, and give wishy-washy responses. Basically I'm just collecting information, then I share it, so that others don't have to go through as much work as I did to try and find out candidate positions, etc. A lot of these people had no published statements that I could find regarding guns before I asked them.

Even when I've gathered as much information as I can, sometimes when it comes down to it, voting for a pro-gun candidate feels kind of like, "Eenie meanie miny moe, who is most pro-gun of them all?"

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Please just vote in whichever candidate will allow a Canadian to get a CCW :lol:

If only I knew who that was! Best case scenario, many candidates support constitutional carry. Then you wouldn't even need a CCW!

Here are the candidates for Washoe Sheriff:

Chuck Allen
James Beltron
David Butko
Tim Kuzanek
Jim Lopey

Jim Lopey and Chuck Allen so far look the most promising, but I haven't asked anyone about their positions on issuing a CCW to a Canadian. (I'd send them an e-mail myself on the topic but I'm not fully educated on the subject and a little bit limited in free time at the moment.)

If you send them an e-mail and they respond to you, please share it!

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
My hunch on the most pro-gun candidates on the Republican Primary Ballot:

Governor - Ed Hamilton or William Tarbell (Based on Responses)

Lt. Gov - Sue Lowden (Based on Responses)

State Controller - Ron Knecht (Based on NRA Rating)

County Comissioner District 5 - Jeanne Herman (Based on Responses)

Washoe Sheriff - Jim Lopey or Chuck Allen (Based on responses I'm leaning towards Lopey). On Monday at Maccabbe Arms in Reno, Lopey and Allen will supposedly be there to discuss guns and other candidates are invited as well. See this thread: http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=53131

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I met the Sheriff candidates today at Maccabe Arms, except for the current undersheriff who didn't show up (at least when I was there.)

While both Chuck Allen and Jim Lopey are above the others, I feel that Jim Lopey is the best choice for Sheriff.

I showed Jim Lopey the laws and he agreed that the law allows open carry in the Sheriff's office.

I talked to Chuck Allen and he still couldn't give a firm answer but was going to look into it. He seems potentially receptive to allowing it in the records section.

Both Butko and Beltron are opposed to allowing any carry in the Sheriff's Office

Last edited: