• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does this privacy case open up all similar gov't records to public inspection?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Cal.2d: State pharmacy controlled substance database doesn’t violate patients’ privacy rights
Posted on June 2, 2014 by Hall

A patient does not have a substantial enough state constitutional privacy right to overcome the public interest in making prescription controlled substances records inspections at pharmacies. Pharmacies are highly regulated, and there are sufficient other general protections of patient information. Reporting sales of controlled substances through the state database (CURES) is not, on balance, an unreasonable violation of patients’ privacy rights. Lewis v. Superior Court, 2014 Cal. App. LEXIS 471 (2d Dist. May 29, 2014).

Freedom1Man

Cal.2d: State pharmacy controlled substance database doesn’t violate patients’ privacy rights
Posted on June 2, 2014 by Hall

A patient does not have a substantial enough state constitutional privacy right to overcome the public interest in making prescription controlled substances records inspections at pharmacies. Pharmacies are highly regulated, and there are sufficient other general protections of patient information. Reporting sales of controlled substances through the state database (CURES) is not, on balance, an unreasonable violation of patients’ privacy rights. Lewis v. Superior Court, 2014 Cal. App. LEXIS 471 (2d Dist. May 29, 2014).

So, it's a violation, but it's okay because the courts have said so.

RK3369

apparently..........

that was a court's conclusion. Personally, in this circumstance, I do not see this as an invasion of privacy because absent any questions about the number of prescriptions that one person is receiving, there should be no other use that the gov't is making of this information. If however, they used this information as a means to require surrender of firearms , then I do agree that it's a violation of the right to privacy. Depends on the circumstances of the use, I guess.

I can tell you from experience in the medical field, in several of the facilities I worked, we had patients who would go to every provider they could find in a community trying to get prescriptions for pain killers. It became known to the doctors in the community who the abusers were just by their repetitive visits to the clinics and complaints about pain and needing medication. There are definitely those out there that will try to abuse the system and get as much pain medicine as they can by any means, either to take it or sell it. I agree with the fact that those folks should be looked at by law enforcement and asked why they need so much medication, and also ask the providers why those patients need so much medication. On the other hand, I have heard that someone in New York was contacted by the State Police as a result of an inquiry into their medical records, and told to surrender his firearms within 60 days because he had taken prescription anti anxiety medicine in the past. Not sure if that is, in fact, true however, if that did happen, that is clearly a violation of privacy rights in my opinion.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Well, privacy is always weighed against other factors .... how a court ruled that the ends justify the means on this one is out of kilter IMO...the public health benefits are marginal at best IMO.

But does that data now become open records to the general public? I would think so ...

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

that was a court's conclusion. Personally, in this circumstance, I do not see this as an invasion of privacy because absent any questions about the number of prescriptions that one person is receiving, there should be no other use that the gov't is making of this information. If however, they used this information as a means to require surrender of firearms , then I do agree that it's a violation of the right to privacy. Depends on the circumstances of the use, I guess.

I can tell you from experience in the medical field, in several of the facilities I worked, we had patients who would go to every provider they could find in a community trying to get prescriptions for pain killers. It became known to the doctors in the community who the abusers were just by their repetitive visits to the clinics and complaints about pain and needing medication. There are definitely those out there that will try to abuse the system and get as much pain medicine as they can by any means, either to take it or sell it. I agree with the fact that those folks should be looked at by law enforcement and asked why they need so much medication, and also ask the providers why those patients need so much medication. On the other hand, I have heard that someone in New York was contacted by the State Police as a result of an inquiry into their medical records, and told to surrender his firearms within 60 days because he had taken prescription anti anxiety medicine in the past. Not sure if that is, in fact, true however, if that did happen, that is clearly a violation of privacy rights in my opinion.

So , because some choose to abuse, everyone's records are now open to public review?

Next all gun sales and gun owners will be public record because a few idiots decide ot use a gun to rob a liquor store, bank, home, etc?

RK3369

yup..........

So , because some choose to abuse, everyone's records are now open to public review?

Next all gun sales and gun owners will be public record because a few idiots decide ot use a gun to rob a liquor store, bank, home, etc?

that's the way it goes. Some are pursuing criminal activity so we all have to be inconvenienced by having our drivers license scanned when we pick up even some over the counter meds at the pharmacy. But it's because some of the underlying activity is illegal to begin with. I don't like it either but law enforcement hasn't yet figured out how to target and arrest those who are abusing the system without having this information. Not everything each of us does every day is under scrutiny (yet).

Gun ownership is not illegal, as far as I know, so there is no need to make any of that information public. Because we want the bad guys caught and locked up, we all have to suffer a little inconvenience.

countryclubjoe

We all may think we have privacy however if you possess a driver license or a social security number, you're an open book, one would be very naive to think different. Its the 21st century, NO Privacy Allow.

My .02

Regards

CCJ

wanttoknow099

What is specifically meant by medical records?

When the gun board says they may review medical records what exactly does this mean? Where do they access this information. Does it mean they ask you for your primary care providers info and want to see those records? Does it just mean they are accessing the health department to see if you are on the crazy list? Are they accessing the MAPS system to look at you prescriptions? Are they verifying medical Marijuana registry? What data base does this information come from? Where do they find the information they want. Is it as simple as if you pass the checks for purchase you are probably ok for CPL. This is Michigan I am referring to. If anybody has clarification on this please respond. Thanks