Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mens only and womens only restrooms now illegal in Houston

Mens only and womens only restrooms now illegal in Houston

http://www.truthandaction.org/housto...sed-restrooms/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Banned
    ROFL ... this is what they waste their time on?

Now you'll have guys arrested looking at little girls in the bathroom ....

They will come.

This law will have such an outcry that even the Pharaoh himself will change his own law.

Houston Equal Rights Ordinance

36 pages 1.7 M

http://www.houstontx.gov/equal_rights_ordinance.pdf

A quick read and a quick search did not find the words restroom or toilet.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-03-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

So not much truth to the truth and action?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

This is an equal rights ordinance... restroom use is one minor part of the ordinance to protect people from discrimination. The only people who seem to be against it are those living in fear thinking transgender people are somehow predators and going to kill their spouse and children.

SHUN ICKY

Exercise your First Amendment Right of Free Association.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    In the men's room no one really looks anyway.......unwritten code.

I really don't have a problem with it. Someone relieving themselves isn't a turn on.........
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Not sure what this issue has to do with OC, however I will weigh in.

This ordinance is a Grand Slam for flashers, pedophiles, and all sexual deviates.

There is zero up side to this ordinance.. I would think the good folks of Houston have more important issues to address.

My .02

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post

This ordinance is a Grand Slam for flashers, pedophiles, and all sexual deviates.

There is zero up side to this ordinance.. I would think the good folks of Houston have more important issues to address.

My .02

CCJ
    Bingo !

My .02

CCJ
    you have no idea what you are talking about.

This ordinance has NOTHING to do with letting everyone use any restroom they want... thats just how its spun in the media for an affect. This bill is about equal rights and treatment between different types of people. Go read the actual text, as it never even mentions restrooms. Its just as bad as listening to the media about how guns are bad and people shouldn't OC either. Stop taking news outlets word for everything.
    Last edited by cjohnson44546; 06-04-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    you have no idea what you are talking about.

This ordinance has NOTHING to do with letting everyone use any restroom they want... thats just how its spun in the media for an affect. This bill is about equal rights and treatment between different types of people. Go read the actual text, as it never even mentions restrooms. Its just as bad as listening to the media about how guns are bad and people shouldn't OC either. Stop taking news outlets word for everything.

I can only comment on the video posted by the OP, hence my post.
    Please explain the term " different types of people" if you will.
    Regards

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".

What's next for Houston, Unisex jails? That should be interesting.

CCJ

I can only comment on the video posted by the OP, hence my post.
    Please explain the term " different types of people" if you will.
    Regards

CCJ
    Its to prevent discrimination based on sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, familial status, martial status, military status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or pregnancy... in city employment, city services, city contracting practices, housing, public accommodations, and private employment.... as well as some other stuff stated in the bill.

The media is spinning this as something bad, when its just equal rights, and a great thing.

Its to prevent discrimination based on sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, familial status, martial status, military status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or pregnancy... in city employment, city services, city contracting practices, housing, public accommodations, and private employment.... as well as some other stuff stated in the bill.

The media is spinning this as something bad, when its just equal rights, and a great thing.
    The 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments of The US Constitution guarantees the rights against the discrimination that you referenced.

Why does Houston need an additional ordinance to preserve rights already established under the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendment of the Constitution?

If someone feels their rights are being violated there are legal remedies for redress under current civil rights laws and under the Constitution.

Regarding the rest rooms issue, I stand corrected, I did not see any mention on the topic after further due diligence.

Thank you for you're reply.

CCJ

This is ridiculous. Boys and girls are different. Get over it.

Sent from an unspecified mobile phone using unspecified software.

While I did not find those words in that document, I did read of some cases nationwide concerning children who identified with an opposite gender seeking to use the restroom of that gender. I found cases in Maine, Colorado, and Georgia; some involving children as young as six years old.

Personal opinion: If you still have the equipment you were born with, use the restroom for those similarly equipped. If and when you have a modification work order installed, then you may use the restroom associated with your new gender.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired
    Personal opinion: If you still have the equipment you were born with, use the restroom for those similarly equipped. If and when you have a modification work order installed, then you may use the restroom associated with your new gender.
    Makes sense.
    And if you're cross-dressing before the operation, use the family restroom.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546
    Its to prevent discrimination ... in city employment, city services, city contracting practices, housing, public accommodations, and private employment ... as well as some other stuff stated in the bill.
    Such as restrooms and locker rooms and changing rooms, places where people have a reasonable expectation that everyone there is the same sex. (IOW, everyone in the men's room has male parts, and everyone in the women's room has female parts.)

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546
    The only people who seem to be against it are those living in fear thinking transgender people are somehow predators and going to kill their spouse and children.
    No, those poor confused people are so rare, and already are covered by federal laws (such as those covering discrimination based on a mental health disability), that individual city or state laws aren't needed.
    But ordinances like this one open the way for predators - all a man has to do is claim he thinks he's a woman, and under this law anyone who prevents him from entering a women's restroom or locker room is subject to a fine.

According to this article...:
    The measure bans discrimination based not just on sexual orientation and gender identity but also, as federal laws do, sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy and genetic information, as well as family, marital or military status.
    The ordinance applies to businesses that serve the public, private employers, housing, city employment and city contracting. Religious institutions are exempt. Violators could be fined up to $5,000.

This ordinance will also force Government agency's and local business to add another rest room. IE, Men's room, Woman's room, unisex room.

More cost to business and tax payers..

My .02

CCJ

This ordinance will also force Government agency's and local business to add another rest room. IE, Men's room, Woman's room, unisex room.

More cost to business and tax payers..

My .02

CCJ

Too bad the state feels they need to be involved in how a business runs their private business (pun a happy accident, oh another pun not on purpose).

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

So something like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urinal Sign.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	11675

(sorry, couldn't resist)
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

The 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments of The US Constitution guarantees the rights against the discrimination that you referenced.

Why does Houston need an additional ordinance to preserve rights already established under the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendment of the Constitution?

If someone feels their rights are being violated there are legal remedies for redress under current civil rights laws and under the Constitution.
    Sadly those amendments do NOT cover everything in this ordinance...

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Makes sense.
    And if you're cross-dressing before the operation, use the family restroom.
    doesn't exist in most places...

Such as restrooms and locker rooms and changing rooms, places where people have a reasonable expectation that everyone there is the same sex. (IOW, everyone in the men's room has male parts, and everyone in the women's room has female parts.)
    why would you assume that? Why does it matter? Places that have unisex restrooms don't really have any higher rate of crimes happening... its just something some people are not used to... so they get upset. Just like people seeing someone open carrying and calls 911 to report a man with a gun... they have some fear that something they aren't used to is going to hurt them or someone else.

No, those poor confused people are so rare, and already are covered by federal laws (such as those covering discrimination based on a mental health disability), that individual city or state laws aren't needed.
    But ordinances like this one open the way for predators - all a man has to do is claim he thinks he's a woman, and under this law anyone who prevents him from entering a women's restroom or locker room is subject to a fine.
    What federal laws would that be? Many places across the US have past ordinances like these to protect people that the federal government does not. People assume there is a lot of legal protection where there is not.

A predator will bypass the rules anyways... thinking "rules" of a restroom is going to somehow prevent anything is as bad as people thinking "no gun" signs will prevent criminals from using guns in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Too bad the state feels they need to be involved in how a business runs their private business (pun a happy accident, oh another pun not on purpose).
    how is this new? the government is always telling private businesses how to operate in many many ways.

Public restrooms are public accommodations...

"Private businesses" with restrooms available for use by customers...

Schools, as has already been cited.....sort of.

Comprehension must be applied during the reading process.

This may be a issue if some chic complains when a dude goes into a girls bathroom cuz the boys bathroom is full or out of order. I don't know of any dudes who would admit to complaining if the opposite situation were to occur.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

how is this new? the government is always telling private businesses how to operate in many many ways.
    Not new at all, unless we start the dissent about it they will continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    This may be a issue if some chic complains when a dude goes into a girls bathroom cuz the boys bathroom is full or out of order. I don't know of any dudes who would admit to complaining if the opposite situation were to occur.
    This does not allow males to use female restrooms and vice versa simply because the other has a line too long, or they want to sneak a peak, or whatever...

This is about the actual gender identity. Some guy just claiming "I'm a girl" doesn't cut it. If they are dressed as a woman, then maybe you can believe them... but if you just see some dude going in, I say call the cops, and let them decide... and talk to the persons shrink, or make them see one, and determine if they really are or not.

I'm really surprised about how many people, on such a pro-civil rights board, are against other rights. You think everyone should be punished simply because a few might take advantage of something? Hell someone *might* kill someone else with a gun, so we should outlaw all guns too...

This does not allow males to use female restrooms and vice versa simply because the other has a line too long, or they want to sneak a peak, or whatever...

This is about the actual gender identity. Some guy just claiming "I'm a girl" doesn't cut it. If they are dressed as a woman, then maybe you can believe them... but if you just see some dude going in, I say call the cops, and let them decide... and talk to the persons shrink, or make them see one, and determine if they really are or not.

I'm really surprised about how many people, on such a pro-civil rights board, are against other rights. You think everyone should be punished simply because a few might take advantage of something? Hell someone *might* kill someone else with a gun, so we should outlaw all guns too...
    Really? Hyperbole and a emotional response.....liberalesque.

Its to prevent discrimination based on sex,...
    Again, public accommodations.

There is the intent of the law and then there is the language of the law. It will need to be worked out in a courtroom.....if that does in fact occur.

Page 2/3: Definition - Place of public accommodation
    Page 4: Prohibition against discrimination in city services (note the term "city facilities")

There is nothing in the language of the law that prohibits anyone from using any restroom they so choose.

I didn't write this law, the elected officials of Houston did.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast