• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mens only and womens only restrooms now illegal in Houston

cjohnson44546

This may be a issue if some chic complains when a dude goes into a girls bathroom cuz the boys bathroom is full or out of order. I don't know of any dudes who would admit to complaining if the opposite situation were to occur.

This does not allow males to use female restrooms and vice versa simply because the other has a line too long, or they want to sneak a peak, or whatever...

This is about the actual gender identity. Some guy just claiming "I'm a girl" doesn't cut it. If they are dressed as a woman, then maybe you can believe them... but if you just see some dude going in, I say call the cops, and let them decide... and talk to the persons shrink, or make them see one, and determine if they really are or not.

I'm really surprised about how many people, on such a pro-civil rights board, are against other rights. You think everyone should be punished simply because a few might take advantage of something? Hell someone *might* kill someone else with a gun, so we should outlaw all guns too...

OC for ME

This does not allow males to use female restrooms and vice versa simply because the other has a line too long, or they want to sneak a peak, or whatever...

This is about the actual gender identity. Some guy just claiming "I'm a girl" doesn't cut it. If they are dressed as a woman, then maybe you can believe them... but if you just see some dude going in, I say call the cops, and let them decide... and talk to the persons shrink, or make them see one, and determine if they really are or not.

I'm really surprised about how many people, on such a pro-civil rights board, are against other rights. You think everyone should be punished simply because a few might take advantage of something? Hell someone *might* kill someone else with a gun, so we should outlaw all guns too...
Really? Hyperbole and a emotional response.....liberalesque.

Its to prevent discrimination based on sex,...
Again, public accommodations.

There is the intent of the law and then there is the language of the law. It will need to be worked out in a courtroom.....if that does in fact occur.

Page 2/3: Definition - Place of public accommodation
Page 4: Prohibition against discrimination in city services (note the term "city facilities")

There is nothing in the language of the law that prohibits anyone from using any restroom they so choose.

I didn't write this law, the elected officials of Houston did.

hhofent

Really? Call the cops because someone went in the wrong bathroom??

Sent from an unspecified mobile phone using unspecified software.

cjohnson44546

Really? Call the cops because someone went in the wrong bathroom??

I meant if it appeared they had some ill intent, but i was not clear.

But yes, in many areas, including Texas, its a crime to use the wrong restroom and you can be arrested.

Da Rat Bastid

The concept of gender-segregated restrooms should have died 4 or 5 decades ago along with color-segregated restrooms. *shakes head sadly* I dunno why people's undies are getting all bunched up over this. When I go into a public restroom, I couldn't care less what the person in the adjacent enclosed stall does or doesn't have between his/her legs; I just want to answer nature's call, flush, wash my hands, and leave. :rolleyes:

hhofent

The concept of gender-segregated restrooms should have died 4 or 5 decades ago along with color-segregated restrooms. *shakes head sadly* I dunno why people's undies are getting all bunched up over this. When I go into a public restroom, I couldn't care less what the person in the adjacent enclosed stall does or doesn't have between his/her legs; I just want to answer nature's call, flush, wash my hands, and leave. :rolleyes:

Ok, fair point. But would unisex bathrooms have urinals? If so, I can't help but feel that someone is going to get sued for sexual harassment unjustly.

OC for ME

Page 2/3: Definition - Place of public accommodation
Page 4: Prohibition against discrimination in city services (note the term "city facilities")

There is nothing in the language of the law that prohibits anyone from using any restroom they so choose.
The language of the law is what it is. There shall be no discrimination applied, including legal sanctions, on the use of "city facilities" by anyone. No business can bar one gender (sex) from using the "other" gender's restroom.

Da Rat Bastid's viewpoint is now, apparently, codified into Houston city code.

DrakeZ07

Makes sense.
And if you're cross-dressing before the operation, use the family restroom.

Such as restrooms and locker rooms and changing rooms, places where people have a reasonable expectation that everyone there is the same sex. (IOW, everyone in the men's room has male parts, and everyone in the women's room has female parts.)

No, those poor confused people are so rare, and already are covered by federal laws (such as those covering discrimination based on a mental health disability), that individual city or state laws aren't needed.
But ordinances like this one open the way for predators - all a man has to do is claim he thinks he's a woman, and under this law anyone who prevents him from entering a women's restroom or locker room is subject to a fine.

According to this article...:
The measure bans discrimination based not just on sexual orientation and gender identity but also, as federal laws do, sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy and genetic information, as well as family, marital or military status.
The ordinance applies to businesses that serve the public, private employers, housing, city employment and city contracting. Religious institutions are exempt. Violators could be fined up to $5,000.

This ordinance will also force Government agency's and local business to add another rest room. IE, Men's room, Woman's room, unisex room.

More cost to business and tax payers..

My .02

CCJ

Sigh, this is why the circle of hate will never end. People like the above two make ignorant, anti-liberty comments that spread like wildfire, against a class or group of people. Then said group/class of people feel the redicule, and bias/hate from vocal and violent elements who take the hateful words of the ignorant, and uses it to punish the aforementioned group/class of people. Then the Group/class of people say hateful/mean-spirited things about the vocal and violent elements, and then about the people who spoke originally, which spurs the original ignorence to keep growing, until both sides are filled with ignorant geastures and moves, that provoke each other, you end up with a enver-ending cycle of hate and bias.

People like CCJ, and MKE, who make such ignorant comments, are exactly like people who make ignorant comments about gun owners. And should rightly be in the same bed as the anti-gunners. Anyone who hates, or makes ignorant comments, with or without bias, against one liberty, while supporting another, deserves neither; only exile and death. Free speech is a right, but with a right there has to be responsibility. Just as how with Free association, free press, and free religion also must be exercised with responsibility; so too must the right to bear arms, and the right to vote and travel, be exercised responsibly. No one here would support someone who uses their right to bear arms, to march into a federal court room wearing automatic LMGs, and holding an RPG and a block of C4; and no one would support someone who uses their right to travel freely, to trespass in peoples personal and private property without permission, and so forth, so why would anyone support someone who uses free speech irresponsibly just to spread hate and ignorence about any group/class of people?

Yea, our rights are a dual-edged sword, what I can say and do is protected, but so is my opponent; but with power comes restrain and control, lest it ends in the destruction of its wielder.

I know, right?! It's really amazing how many people who b**ch and moan about people trying to suppress their gun rights, are the same ones who use a religion that promotes slavery, genocide, incest, and child-sex to suppress someone else rights/liberties!* The entire gun rights group are better suited to sleep in the same bed as anti-gun and gun control supporters, then they are to sleep in the bed of a founding father, or a revolutionary war patriot.** It's like, especially with the majority, or at least the vocal sorts on OCDO, are like; "How DARE you try to get me to pass a background check! that's unconstitutional! let's organize protests and demonstrations against this evil! Wait, some transgendered dude wants to use the women's bathroom? *Head explodes* OMG! THAT'S EVIL AND WRONG AND SINFUL AND INHUMANE AND IMMORAL AND IRRATIONAL!" or "This state wants to ban Open carry! OH GOD ITS THE END OF THE WORLD! WE HAVE TO FIGHT TOOTH AND NAIL! Wait, someone wants to marry a person of the same-sex?! BAN IT! HOW DARE they try to act as though they are equal to me! The madness!"

I mostly just stick around this place, so I can laugh at the nut-cases who populate this place, and face-paw when they say their liberty-minded.

* = Not directed at any single religion in particular.
** = Not a pun, or sexual innuendo, it's derived from a metaphor used by people in my area.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Sigh, this is why the circle of hate will never end. People like the above two make ignorant, anti-liberty comments that spread like wildfire, against a class or group of people. Then said group/class of people feel the redicule, and bias/hate from vocal and violent elements who take the hateful words of the ignorant, and uses it to punish the aforementioned group/class of people. Then the Group/class of people say hateful/mean-spirited things about the vocal and violent elements, and then about the people who spoke originally, which spurs the original ignorence to keep growing, until both sides are filled with ignorant geastures and moves, that provoke each other, you end up with a enver-ending cycle of hate and bias.

People like CCJ, and MKE, who make such ignorant comments, are exactly like people who make ignorant comments about gun owners. And should rightly be in the same bed as the anti-gunners. Anyone who hates, or makes ignorant comments, with or without bias, against one liberty, while supporting another, deserves neither; only exile and death. Free speech is a right, but with a right there has to be responsibility. Just as how with Free association, free press, and free religion also must be exercised with responsibility; so too must the right to bear arms, and the right to vote and travel, be exercised responsibly. No one here would support someone who uses their right to bear arms, to march into a federal court room wearing automatic LMGs, and holding an RPG and a block of C4; and no one would support someone who uses their right to travel freely, to trespass in peoples personal and private property without permission, and so forth, so why would anyone support someone who uses free speech irresponsibly just to spread hate and ignorence about any group/class of people?

Yea, our rights are a dual-edged sword, what I can say and do is protected, but so is my opponent; but with power comes restrain and control, lest it ends in the destruction of its wielder.

I know, right?! It's really amazing how many people who b**ch and moan about people trying to suppress their gun rights, are the same ones who use a religion that promotes slavery, genocide, incest, and child-sex to suppress someone else rights/liberties!* The entire gun rights group are better suited to sleep in the same bed as anti-gun and gun control supporters, then they are to sleep in the bed of a founding father, or a revolutionary war patriot.** It's like, especially with the majority, or at least the vocal sorts on OCDO, are like; "How DARE you try to get me to pass a background check! that's unconstitutional! let's organize protests and demonstrations against this evil! Wait, some transgendered dude wants to use the women's bathroom? *Head explodes* OMG! THAT'S EVIL AND WRONG AND SINFUL AND INHUMANE AND IMMORAL AND IRRATIONAL!" or "This state wants to ban Open carry! OH GOD ITS THE END OF THE WORLD! WE HAVE TO FIGHT TOOTH AND NAIL! Wait, someone wants to marry a person of the same-sex?! BAN IT! HOW DARE they try to act as though they are equal to me! The madness!"

I mostly just stick around this place, so I can laugh at the nut-cases who populate this place, and face-paw when they say their liberty-minded.

* = Not directed at any single religion in particular.
** = Not a pun, or sexual innuendo, it's derived from a metaphor used by people in my area.

I have no issue with transgender folks, however, I have a problem with giving pedophiles a free opportunity to enter a bathroom sporting an erection and possibly exposing said erection to the female members of my family, without fear of the ramifications for their actions.Call me ignorant or call me old fashion but I think folks that possess a penis should use what is called the" men's room" and folks with a vagina should use what is called " the woman's room, regardless of gender, race, or religion, boys should be boys, and girls should be girls for the use of public facilities.

My.02

CCJ

tattedupboy

It's been brought up in this thread that this law is more of an attempt to prevent discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation than it is to allow people to use whatever public bathroom facility they choose. Fair enough. But am I the only one who sees sexual predators using this to their advantage? Is it not conceivable that a man could pretend to be a transsexual by dressing up like a woman for the sole purpose of fulfilling his own sick, sexual desires?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cjohnson44546

It's been brought up in this thread that this law is more of an attempt to prevent discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation than it is to allow people to use whatever public bathroom facility they choose. Fair enough. But am I the only one who sees sexual predators using this to their advantage? Is it not conceivable that a man could pretend to be a transsexual by dressing up like a woman for the sole purpose of fulfilling his own sick, sexual desires?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
and if people are allowed to carry around guns, isn't it possible some jerk will decide to shoot someone? Always punish everyone just in case someone might do something bad....

SFCRetired

in USAF we aimed higher :dude:

And usually hit your own shoes! U.S.Army that spent three years on Bitburg AB, Germany. :)

Many of the European countries, most notably France, Belgium, and Luxembourg, do have unisex toilets. On many of them, you have separate doors for male and female (I dunno why), but you wind up in the same place. I will also tell you that most of the Europeans I met were much more relaxed about their bodies than we puritanical Americans. For some reason, and, no, I don't understand it, when I was there, rape was almost unheard of, STD rate was very low, and the teen pregnancy rate was infinitesimal.

Last edited:

357SigFan

America is a nation of prudes that are ashamed of their bodies. Plain and simple. Nudity is eeeevil and the children must be shielded from it!!! The mere thought of the possibility of seeing a 'normally covered' body part is just unthinkable! But violent movies/TV Shows/Video games are A-OK! People want to be equal, but yet want separate bathrooms. Personally, I have only been to Canada, Mexico and BonAire, but my wife has been to several countries in europe, and it's not uncommon to find non-segregated bathrooms there. Really, what's the big deal with non-segregated bathrooms? When using a urinal, you're not exactly hanging around with it all hanging out for everyone to see, and there are these things called stalls... with doors... that the women would be using (Although from what I gather, the unisex restrooms often don't have urinals - just stalls).

Personally, unified bathrooms wouldn't bother me one bit. If a woman caught a glimpse of me while I was using a urinal (and that't IF it even had urinals) - good for her. I doubt I have anything she hasn't seen before. Now, someone that was, for example, peering through the crack of a stall peeping on a woman (Or man, for that matter) using the bathroom is a totally separate issue that would need to be dealt with - but I HIGHLY doubt that would be even remotely close to the norm. We're all human. We all have to relieve ourselves. Get over it.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Simple...if you catch someone looking at you in the public toilet do what Jack Nickolson does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PDZx7DBKzPY

Are you sure Jack Nicholson didn't steal that from Cheech and Chong? Laughed my fanny off all the way through "Up in Smoke". :)

True story from many years ago: I was in a sauna in a German resort, dressed appropriately for a sauna; stark naked. While I am sitting there, here comes grandma, mamma, and two little girls about seven or eight years old, all dressed as I was. Grandma and mamma were thrilled that I spoke enough German to understand them and the two little girls were deliriously happy that they could practice their English. No one, to include me, saw anything wrong with it. I will admit to being a little startled at first, but seeing the other two adults totally relaxed about the situation did a lot to alleviate any concerns I may have initially had.

Brace

As far as I know, this bill doesn't make rape, public indecency, or sexual harassment legal. I don't see how it enables crime.