Thread: First time shooting an AR-15 mixed emotions

First time shooting an AR-15 mixed emotions

Today at range was my first time shooting an AR-15. Ok no big deal right? Although for me it was an experience. My first thought is wow now I see why some want to ban it. Second thought was I would not want to be shot by this thing! After putting about 60 rounds through it I was convinced, now I really want one of these! Such a loud and powerful rifle man forget my BS handguns. I would want this gun to be my one and only go to weapon..lol Once my hour was up while leaving the range the thought entered my mind. Of all the Men and Women in the military that are fighting for their lives and our freedom daily with this rifle. Look at me a civilian getting the enjoyment of shooting at a paper target in a closed safe environment. Again, I would not want to be on the receiving end nor laying someone out with one of these. Just thought I would share my experience. Stay safe..
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-13-2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Fixed title

If you want loud and powerful try shooting a nagant. The AR-15 was designed to be easy to teach and quick to learn with. Low recoil in a mild rifle round, light weight, ergonomic, and not very loud. I can't understand or see any reason for banning any gun.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy123 View Post
    Today at range was my first time shooting an AR-15. Ok no big deal right? Although for me it was an experience. My first thought is wow now I see why some want to ban it. Second thought was I would not want to be shot by this thing! After putting about 60 rounds through it I was convinced, now I really want one of these! Such a loud and powerful rifle man forget my BS handguns. I would want this gun to be my one and only go to weapon..lol Once my hour was up while leaving the range the thought entered my mind. Of all the Men and Women in the military that are fighting for their lives and our freedom daily with this rifle. Look at me a civilian getting the enjoyment of shooting at a paper target in a closed safe environment. Again, I would not want to be on the receiving end nor laying someone out with one of these. Just thought I would share my experience. Stay safe..
    Glad you had fun. Try out other rifles and pistols to gain some understanding of what they can ACTUALLY do vs what the media SAYS they can do. I think you'll be as surprised as some members of my family were when I took them shooting for the first time.

I don't know about you, but the AR-15's recoil seems kind of (VERY) tame compared a Mosin-Nagant.
    Maybe if I were able to shoot a military-style rifle (one with full-auto or burst-fire capability that only military and LEOs or very rich people can have, instead of the semi-auto version that civilians get).
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Banned
    I assume it was a .223 chambered AR and not a 458, 50 beo ... due to the "light recoil" statement.

A 223 AR is a definite good choice to be included in a range of firearm arsenal.

All depends on what the owner desires of of his/her weapon system.

LOL, that's kind of how I feel when I shoot a 30 round mag of 7.62X51 (.308) from my FN FAL. Well, I did feel that way until Newtown when .308 went to a dollar a piece.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

You want loud and powerful try a 45-70 out of a 1895 marlin. Glad you had fun.

One has to remember those with limited firearms experience are easily impressed when shooting new and unfamiliar firearms.

Just getting them out and shooting is a good thing.

They well come to a better understanding of what different arms are capable as their experience grows.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz272 View Post
    One can always move up the scale with 458WM 458lott and even bigger DGRs that power wise put fine and useful 45-70 to shame.

Now this is some serious power

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...481#6651017481
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

An M1 Garand will wake you up too.

Being that long guns are "off topic", take a look at the AR pistols that are available. I have several as every AR build I do starts off as a pistol. They tend to be a bit loud, easy to handle and a great deal of fun.

For big noise (and really big fun) I take out the ishapoor Lee Enfield in .308. I call it the Cannon. Everyone at the range looks when it is fired.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 06-04-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: splellink
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz272 View Post
    The old guide gun ... they started re-making them several years ago ... and they have a "little" kick.

Why people want it banned? Loud?
    Really?
    Sounds like media swooning to me.

I took many members of my family shooting w my AR-15. Much to the disappointment of the MSM, it was not as loud and had less recoil than most of my handguns. But it sure does look "evil" as the media would like to portray.

Fun as hell, yes. Long range shooting, yes. Precision, yes. But smaller caliber' less recoil, and not as "loud" as many handguns.

"I miss America"

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    An M1 Garand will wake you up too.
    Just got my new 1943 M1 Garand today. Sure am looking forward to seeing how loud it is in person.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy123 View Post
    Second thought was I would not want to be shot by this thing! After putting about 60 rounds through it I was convinced, now I really want one of these! Such a loud and powerful rifle man forget my BS handguns.
    Um, you were wearing hearing protection, right?

And please go shoot some rifle, any rifle, whose caliber doesn't start with .22 and then talk to us about power.

The .223 is an anemic varmint round, which makes it perfect for giving to 18-year-olds from the city who are going into combat in short order.

I have two and I love them, but they're not my "powerful" rifles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Um, you were wearing hearing protection, right?

And please go shoot some rifle, any rifle, whose caliber doesn't start with .22 and then talk to us about power.

The .223 is an anemic varmint round, which makes it perfect for giving to 18-year-olds from the city who are going into combat in short order.

I have two and I love them, but they're not my "powerful" rifles.
    Well, slap another upper on it and the AR is a powerful rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, slap another upper on it and the AR is a powerful rifle.
    Then it's not an AR15.

Banned
    Then it's not an AR15.
    AR - x cal then....

the 223? I can shoot 1000 rds in a day w/o any soreness.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    The AR-15 caliber designation is the 5.56mm round. Yes it can also chamber the .223 as well but it was intended to use the 5.56 round. At least, that's what my Armalite M15A2 Carbine and Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport say.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    The AR-15 caliber designation is the 5.56mm round. Yes it can also chamber the .223 as well but it was intended to use the 5.56 round. At least, that's what my Armalite M15A2 Carbine and Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport say.
    Unless you, for some unfathomable reason, own any weapons uselessly chambered in .223 (as opposed to .223 Wylde), they are the same cartridge with slightly different loadings.

Personally, I would never buy a barrel chambered in .223.

Banned
    Unless you, for some unfathomable reason, own any weapons uselessly chambered in .223 (as opposed to .223 Wylde), they are the same cartridge with slightly different loadings.

Personally, I would never buy a barrel chambered in .223.
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...f=118&t=407696

just for folk's knowledge ...

The only reason to have a pistol in a gun fight is to be able to get another rifle if you lost your first rifle.

When I shoot my carbine I only hear the sound of the cash register where i must buy more 5.56.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    If you want loud and powerful try shooting a nagant. The AR-15 was designed to be easy to teach and quick to learn with. Low recoil in a mild rifle round, light weight, ergonomic, and not very loud. I can't understand or see any reason for banning any gun.
    Concur. OP' s exuberance probably caused a bit of brain freeze babble. Wait until he shoots an AR 10 or a 300BLK.

Sent from my Kindle via the NSA.
    Mack The Knife sends.

"Laech cach fer co bas" (Gaelic- "Everyman a warrior until death")
    "Bas no beatha" (McLean war cry- "Death or life")