Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Texas Gun Groups Threaten To Leave NRA. GOA, "You're welcome here."

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161

    Texas Gun Groups Threaten To Leave NRA. GOA, "You're welcome here."

    Several open carry groups in Texas are threatening to cancel their memberships after the National Rifle Association shunned them as ‘weird.’

    “I personally am an endowment lifetime member of the NRA and an inductee into the Golden Eagles program, and I will rip up my cards and burn my certificates on camera if they don’t change their stance,” said C.J. Grisham, president of Open Carry Texas, a CBS affiliate reported.

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ve-nra-after-/

    Gun Owners of America said that their door is open to anyone who has been disheartened by the NRA’s stance on the Open Carry issue. “If you want to come to GOA, you are welcome here,” said Michael Hammond, legal counsel for the organization. “We are fighting a war of perception, and if gun owners allow themselves to be subdued by the narrative that guns are bad, guns are evil, we need to hide guns, then we are only going to see the Second Amendment suffer more.”

    http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/06/03/t...-to-leave-nra/

    Bloomberg Business Weak
    1. Yes, the NRA really said that.
    2. This conciliation has been met with hostility from some of the, ah, weirdos.
    3. Amazingly, incidents of flamboyant open carry haven’t led to mayhem.
    4. This doesn’t seem like the day to make fun of the NRA. My friend Francis Wilkinson of Bloomberg View has some fun with the NRA in a column titled “NRA Decides Good Guys With Guns Are Weirdos.” I get Frank’s point: Wayne LaPierre and his minions spend so much time inciting fear of crime, terrorism, and lethal maniacs that it’s odd to see the NRA trying to rein in open-carry advocates. Generally I agree with Frank about LaPierre’s paranoia-tinged cynicism. But a smarter response to the NRA blog post is to agree with it and work from there toward some common ground of civility, however narrow that piece of turf might be.
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...4-blunt-points
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...8vdN-P2k9ia0DM
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-03-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Is it true the NRA is changing their name to the NARA, National Anti Rifle Association. Or the NP4PA.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Is it true the NRA is changing their name to the NARA, National Anti Rifle Association. Or the NP4PA.
    Or to YOM ... your other mom ...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,011
    What these “look at me” types don't understand is they're creating the need and desire for more gun laws with their acts of stupidity. When black panthers open carried in California the repub hero Reagan had the gun laws changed asap.
    It was in May of 1967 that two dozen members of the Black Panthers walked into the California Statehouse carrying rifles in protest of a gun-control bill. That action prompted then-Gov. Ronald Reagan to comment, “There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.”
    When you are too crazy for the NRA, well that is a new low. These idiots are becoming the Hari Krishnas of the OC crowd.

  5. #5
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    And the morons of society spend their time trying to control the lives of others. Must be a frustrating existence.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    [ ... ] These idiots are becoming the Hari Krishnas of the OC crowd.
    The Hare Krishnas, the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) teach a moral code from which many Americans would benefit, being apparently without morals.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    What these “look at me” types don't understand is they're creating the need and desire for more gun laws with their acts of stupidity. When black panthers open carried in California the repub hero Reagan had the gun laws changed asap.
    It was in May of 1967 that two dozen members of the Black Panthers walked into the California Statehouse carrying rifles in protest of a gun-control bill. That action prompted then-Gov. Ronald Reagan to comment, “There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.”
    When you are too crazy for the NRA, well that is a new low. These idiots are becoming the Hari Krishnas of the OC crowd.
    Do you blame the victims of rapists too?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  8. #8
    Regular Member cjohnson44546's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    195
    the NRA already said this is not an official NRA stance, that it was one staffer writing an opinion that went out on an alert.... they have already explained and apologized.

    http://www.nranews.com/cam/video/chr...rts-open-carry

  9. #9
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    What these “look at me” types don't understand is they're creating the need and desire for more gun laws with their acts of stupidity. When black panthers open carried in California the repub hero Reagan had the gun laws changed asap.
    It was in May of 1967 that two dozen members of the Black Panthers walked into the California Statehouse carrying rifles in protest of a gun-control bill. That action prompted then-Gov. Ronald Reagan to comment, “There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.”
    When you are too crazy for the NRA, well that is a new low. These idiots are becoming the Hari Krishnas of the OC crowd.
    You think we need more gun laws because I and some of my fellow Texans stood on a street corner with our rifles and handed out pamphlets? THAT is the new low, sir.
    Advocate freedom please

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    1,877
    Again, as I stated in another thread on this issue, MOST people (including most so-called "gun owners" apparently) are simply deeply ignorant about what's goin' on in the Great State of Texas...

    And also again, I wish them -- the TX OC-ers out there on the Front Line -- the best in their efforts.

    (...a former Texan)
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 06-03-2014 at 07:59 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    You think we need more gun laws because I and some of my fellow Texans stood on a street corner with our rifles and handed out pamphlets? THAT is the new low, sir.
    Thank you sir for taking time to educate people about open carry!!!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    You think we need more gun laws because I and some of my fellow Texans stood on a street corner with our rifles and handed out pamphlets? THAT is the new low, sir.
    That seems like the case, not to mention blaming Reagan, the Repub. He must not realize Obama want ALL guns banned and turned in, along with most of his democrat friends.

  13. #13
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    I don't generally support OC of long guns in crowded areas, but don't think there should be any law against it. The problem I have with the NRA writer's opinion is that OC of handguns is illegal in neoconservative Texas and to my knowledge the Texas NRA affiliate isn't too concerned about that serious infringement. At least they weren't in the last couple sessions. Further, if/when they do get around to pushing it I'm sure they'll settle for licensed OC, which is unacceptable,especially when you consider the gun culture of Texas and the fact that long gun OC is legal without a license.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    You think we need more gun laws because I and some of my fellow Texans stood on a street corner with our rifles and handed out pamphlets? THAT is the new low, sir.
    I don't think that, but the hoplophobes do.

  15. #15
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005

    Chris Cox and NRA distance themselves from staffer

    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    460
    Is the NRA "staffer" going to be looking for another job?

  17. #17
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    Is the NRA "staffer" going to be looking for another job?
    I doubt it, and I doubt that it was unauthorized. It just backfired on the NRA, they thought they were so powerful that OCT and other groups would cave. And they did not count on GOA stepping up to the plate.

    I believe that OCT and the other groups have had their fill of caving, and the nasty remarks of the closet hoplophobes, as well as statists. They may not get what they want this time, but they made their mark, and will continue to do so.

    The most important part of this education is that the police are no longer arresting them for exercising their rights. That is a huge win for them.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 06-04-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  18. #18
    Regular Member OC Freedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    ADA County, ID
    Posts
    605
    I spoke to the NRA-ILA yesterday and the rep I spoke to got hostile with me for supporting OC over CC. Informed him that I would not be renewing in 2017. Time to join the GOA and of course continuing my memership with Idaho open carry.

  19. #19
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Freedom View Post
    I spoke to the NRA-ILA yesterday and the rep I spoke to got hostile with me for supporting OC over CC. Informed him that I would not be renewing in 2017. Time to join the GOA and of course continuing my memership with Idaho open carry.
    I think that is a mistake. The NRA has and does fight for open carry, just with a limp wrist. I think it's a matter of pragmatism and priority for them because open carry is below concealed carry as a priority for the majority of their membership.

    I belong to NRA because they're the biggest and have the most name recognition. I also belong to GOA, NRA's Florida affiliate, and Fl Carry.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    I think that is a mistake. The NRA has and does fight for open carry, just with a limp wrist. I think it's a matter of pragmatism and priority for them because open carry is below concealed carry as a priority for the majority of their membership.

    I belong to NRA because they're the biggest and have the most name recognition. I also belong to GOA, NRA's Florida affiliate, and Fl Carry.
    I disagree on your analogy, you can still win while fighting with a limp wrist. It's more akin to ****ing with a limp ****, it just isn't going to happen.

    Edit: forgot the reason I was posting in this thread:

    I really want to see the NRA lose the bulk of it's membership to the GOA or SAF. But that probably isn't going to happen. At this point, the NRA is more of a cultural men's club than an actual gun organization.
    Last edited by Jack House; 06-04-2014 at 10:19 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I disagree on your analogy, you can still win while fighting with a limp wrist. It's more akin to ****ing with a limp ****, it just isn't going to happen.

    Edit: forgot the reason I was posting in this thread:

    I really want to see the NRA lose the bulk of it's membership to the GOA or SAF. But that probably isn't going to happen. At this point, the NRA is more of a cultural men's club than an actual gun organization.
    Agree, members of the club think they are something special, when it only takes 25 bucks to be a member.

    BTW Whoopie Goldberg is a lifetime NRA member, or so she says...
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 06-04-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  22. #22
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Freedom View Post
    I spoke to the NRA-ILA yesterday and the rep I spoke to got hostile with me for supporting OC over CC. Informed him that I would not be renewing in 2017. Time to join the GOA and of course continuing my memership with Idaho open carry.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Freedom View Post
    I spoke to the NRA-ILA yesterday and the rep I spoke to got hostile with me for supporting OC over CC. Informed him that I would not be renewing in 2017. Time to join the GOA and of course continuing my memership with Idaho open carry.
    +100 for you.

    Not threatening ... DOING

  24. #24
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Chris W. Cox: NRA "Unequivocally" Supports Open Carry
    THEN PROVE IT!!!

    Money talks, BS walks.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  25. #25
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    The NRA cat is out of the bag, I doubt they are going to be able to put it back.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •