Thread: Is Open Carry Welcome In LGS?

Is Open Carry Welcome In LGS?

Is it acceptable in OC friendly states, to OC in to your local gun store?

In NJ there were signs at some of the Range/LGS "Keep your hands where we can see them/all guns must be cased" etc. Not at all places, but at a few that come to mind.

I was just curious if say, I could walk in to a gun store in Virginia or Kentucky while open carrying or if it is a general rule that your must remove your underwear (your firearm, lol) in order to shop there?

I regularly OC into several of the LGS near me. I can only recall one gun shop (more like large outdoor sporting goods store) that posts anything, and they have a sign that says something to the effect of no OC, CC welcome.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Not one of the gun shops in my area bans the open or concealed carry of arms. A few even have signs up supporting this. Add to these stores, the bigs ones like Dick's and Sports Authority and we have our choice of carrying open or concealed in any of them.

I have never been in a gun shop that banned customers from carrying of arms in their business.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Well!!!!

I cant think, how may have many may have wondered....
    What..does........ LGS mean...
    Sooo .... its... Lacal Gun Stores..

Soooo too you all....
    TYPE OUT all your words........

I carry iatn my local LGS....once a month..
    they give me the EYE...

I bought a Hi- Point 45 ..
    just for fun
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 06-04-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I cant think, how may have many may have wondered....
    What..does........ LGS mean...
    Sooo .... its... Lacal Gun Stores..

Soooo too you all....
    TYPE OUT all your words........

I carry iatn my local LGS....once a month..
    they give me the EYE...

I bought a Hi- Point 45 ..
    just for fun
    What is a "Lacal" and what does "iatn" stand for?

No worries in Washington State, I do it all the time.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I OC in LGS, only one time had a issue. The owner corrected that issue, and straightened his employee up.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I oc at my lgs and never had any problems.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

To me "LGS" is local gun store.

"I miss America"

Is Open Carry Welcome In LGS?

Most of my LGSs are very welcoming. The BIG gun store in Baton Rouge frowns upon it but I don't shop there anyway.

Only one indoor range that I have visited will raise an eyebrow to carrying. They will actually make you go outside to unholster and clear your weapon before returning inside. Strange that they kick you out because you have a loaded weapon you want to pay them to shoot. Then they turn there backs to the glass window behind them that is open to the range.

Seems more likely someone in the range actually with there hand on a firearm is more dangerous than someone with it in a holster. Yep, don't go there anymore either.

Edit to add: The employees are also all very tacticool. Love there drop-legs, chest rigs, and 6-10extra mags. All to work a register.
    Last edited by rmansu2; 06-05-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Addition to add clarity

Haven't had an issue at any of the local gun shops, pawn shops, WalMarts, or big sporting goods stores. Some of the local gun stores that have ranges have signs that all guns must be cased or holstered except on the firing line. Don't have a problem with that, either. I don't know about Dick's because I won't darken their thresholds due to their cowardice after Newtown.
    "If the truth hurts, it should." - Dad

" A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

"The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter." - Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon

All the LGS welcome open carry around me...we spend lots of money.

LGS, no problems. but i was down in Norfolk a few months ago and wanted to check out a pawn shop. they had a sign on the door: no guns, no backpacks, no hoodies, no masks. i stuck my head in the door and asked if they were seriousabout the sign. the counter guy said "yep". i said "ok, add no money to your sign" and walked away.

in the goldsboro area, even the dreaded WTs has recently changed their tune and now allow firearms ~ guess someone pointed out they were losing money due to their stance on not allowing firearms...

four seasons, Wild Indian, Swop shop have never had signage up for the last four years.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by hafnhaf View Post
    LGS, no problems. but i was down in Norfolk a few months ago and wanted to check out a pawn shop. they had a sign on the door: no guns, no backpacks, no hoodies, no masks. i stuck my head in the door and asked if they were seriousabout the sign. the counter guy said "yep". i said "ok, add no money to your sign" and walked away.
    Great interaction there!

I'm glad overall that Local Gun Stores in states that recognize our rights are generally OC friendly.

After my NJ experiences (that's short for New Jersey, fyi 1245aDefender. fyi is short for 'for your information.' excuse my sass) I was uncertain, worried that I might get drawn on if I OC'd into a gun store.

So basicly, absent signs to the contrary, we're in the clear to shop with out disrobing. (I've come to affectionately refer to my firearm&holster as my underwear)
    And of course, if they approach and say it's unwelcome I will certainly leave and let them know that No gun = No money.

This is all really helpful. Thank you!

My LGS allows OC - all of the guys working there OC - even in Texas suppose it being Private property, and given their neighborhood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Once I carried into a LGS and the guy behind the counter asked "What's that Pistol ya got there? Is it a PPK?" Just to mess with him I replied: "I dunno, just found it a few minutes ago."

The look on his face was priceless!
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." — George Patton

I can't see myself sponsoring a LGS through spending my money there, if they were to be restrictive regarding how anyone would carry their weapon legally. It is like any other establishment who chooses to restrict access while carrying, they don't get my money.
    ~
    First and foremost I can't even understand why a gun store would restrict what they sell and want the public to buy, this just doesn't make any sense. If they are worried about a crime occurring in their establishment because of the neighborhood, they need to move to a safer location and get back to the business they have chosen. Providing service to law abiding citizens interesting in the ownership of firearms in America.
    ~
    All the LGS in my area have zero restrictions or problems with any kind of carry. I live in rural Ohio.

I've got to say I'm rather dissapointed tonight with the local pawn shop. I've been OCing there to buy reloading supplies and assorted other things for almost a year; today when I got to the front door, they had a large sign saying only unloaded OC allowed. I left. The problem is these companies have no way to know how many people leave due to their signs and policies. With no feedback form available to those of us who won't ignore their signs, the fact that I can't enter means I can't tell them they lost my business. How do you measure a non-event?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkins View Post
    I've got to say I'm rather dissapointed tonight with the local pawn shop. I've been OCing there to buy reloading supplies and assorted other things for almost a year; today when I got to the front door, they had a large sign saying only unloaded OC allowed. I left. The problem is these companies have no way to know how many people leave due to their signs and policies. With no feedback form available to those of us who won't ignore their signs, the fact that I can't enter means I can't tell them they lost my business. How do you measure a non-event?
    Call them. I did when I was asked to leave Wal-mart, corporation corrected the problem.

John was asked to leave a local Pawn shop. The staff had erred, the owner corrected it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I have never been in a gun shop that banned customers from carrying of arms in their business.
    I went into Cabellas one day and walked past the check-in guy. He started after me and caught up with me halfway to the ammo section. "Sir....." "Sir....". I rarely reply to that kind of thing, but he did catch up. "Will you be taking that firearm out of your holster Sir?" I replied, "I sure hope not." and continued on. No worries.

The thing in the pawnshop was a squirrelly little guy (SoCal transplant) that got upset. He sent the big guy who actually had a testicle (but only one) to go tell me to leave. I already had tacit permission to carry there from the Manager. I am a nice guy most of the time, but please, please do not attack me verbally (or any other way) as it is not appreciated. I tend to be rather forthright with my feelings when this happens. They were both straightened out by management later.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

LGSs are the one place I will generally ignore posted signage when OCing. So far, I've only gotten called out on it once, and the guy wasn't someone I'd have wanted to support anyhow.

Dick's was interesting, though - there's a sign on the door saying all firearms must be unloaded and inspected at Customer Service. I went to the desk and asked them if I *really* had to unload my carry gun to shop there. They laughed and said it didn't apply to "anyone smart enough to question it".

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsy Simon View Post
    LGSs are the one place I will generally ignore posted signage when OCing. So far, I've only gotten called out on it once, and the guy wasn't someone I'd have wanted to support anyhow.

Dick's was interesting, though - there's a sign on the door saying all firearms must be unloaded and inspected at Customer Service. I went to the desk and asked them if I *really* had to unload my carry gun to shop there. They laughed and said it didn't apply to "anyone smart enough to question it".
    Fin Feather & Fur have the same type of sign posted. (regional chain in Ohio) They are referring to any weapon that is being brought in to be appraised, sold or repaired. Have never had anyone question my open carry in their facilities.

most of my LGS are OC friendly. one does have a sign stating no open carry, legal CC allowed. they had issue with people pulling their guns out for holster tryouts when looking for a new holster. as private property owners that can ban a certain kind of carry or carry all together.

one gives me a 5% discount on accessories because i am a dues paying member of michigan open carry
    Last edited by SD40VE; 06-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.