• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Open Carry Welcome In LGS?

DanNabis

Is it acceptable in OC friendly states, to OC in to your local gun store?

In NJ there were signs at some of the Range/LGS "Keep your hands where we can see them/all guns must be cased" etc. Not at all places, but at a few that come to mind.

I was just curious if say, I could walk in to a gun store in Virginia or Kentucky while open carrying or if it is a general rule that your must remove your underwear (your firearm, lol) in order to shop there?

JustaShooter

I regularly OC into several of the LGS near me. I can only recall one gun shop (more like large outdoor sporting goods store) that posts anything, and they have a sign that says something to the effect of no OC, CC welcome.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Not one of the gun shops in my area bans the open or concealed carry of arms. A few even have signs up supporting this. Add to these stores, the bigs ones like Dick's and Sports Authority and we have our choice of carrying open or concealed in any of them.

I have never been in a gun shop that banned customers from carrying of arms in their business.

1245A Defender

Well!!!!

I cant think, how may have many may have wondered....
What..does........ LGS mean...
Sooo .... its... Lacal Gun Stores..

Soooo too you all....
TYPE OUT all your words........

I carry iatn my local LGS....once a month..
they give me the EYE...

I bought a Hi- Point 45 ..
just for fun

Last edited:

Bernymac

I cant think, how may have many may have wondered....
What..does........ LGS mean...
Sooo .... its... Lacal Gun Stores..

Soooo too you all....
TYPE OUT all your words........

I carry iatn my local LGS....once a month..
they give me the EYE...

I bought a Hi- Point 45 ..
just for fun

What is a "Lacal" and what does "iatn" stand for? :lol:

rmansu2

Most of my LGSs are very welcoming. The BIG gun store in Baton Rouge frowns upon it but I don't shop there anyway.

Only one indoor range that I have visited will raise an eyebrow to carrying. They will actually make you go outside to unholster and clear your weapon before returning inside. Strange that they kick you out because you have a loaded weapon you want to pay them to shoot. Then they turn there backs to the glass window behind them that is open to the range.

Seems more likely someone in the range actually with there hand on a firearm is more dangerous than someone with it in a holster. Yep, don't go there anymore either.

Edit to add: The employees are also all very tacticool. Love there drop-legs, chest rigs, and 6-10extra mags. All to work a register.

Last edited:

Elm Creek Smith

Haven't had an issue at any of the local gun shops, pawn shops, WalMarts, or big sporting goods stores. Some of the local gun stores that have ranges have signs that all guns must be cased or holstered except on the firing line. Don't have a problem with that, either. I don't know about Dick's because I won't darken their thresholds due to their cowardice after Newtown.

wimwag

All the LGS welcome open carry around me...we spend lots of money.

hafnhaf

LGS, no problems. but i was down in Norfolk a few months ago and wanted to check out a pawn shop. they had a sign on the door: no guns, no backpacks, no hoodies, no masks. i stuck my head in the door and asked if they were seriousabout the sign. the counter guy said "yep". i said "ok, add no money to your sign" and walked away.

solus

in the goldsboro area, even the dreaded WTs has recently changed their tune and now allow firearms ~ guess someone pointed out they were losing money due to their stance on not allowing firearms...

four seasons, Wild Indian, Swop shop have never had signage up for the last four years.

ipse

DanNabis

LGS, no problems. but i was down in Norfolk a few months ago and wanted to check out a pawn shop. they had a sign on the door: no guns, no backpacks, no hoodies, no masks. i stuck my head in the door and asked if they were seriousabout the sign. the counter guy said "yep". i said "ok, add no money to your sign" and walked away.

Great interaction there!

I'm glad overall that Local Gun Stores in states that recognize our rights are generally OC friendly.

After my NJ experiences (that's short for New Jersey, fyi 1245aDefender. fyi is short for 'for your information.' :D;) excuse my sass) I was uncertain, worried that I might get drawn on if I OC'd into a gun store.

So basicly, absent signs to the contrary, we're in the clear to shop with out disrobing. (I've come to affectionately refer to my firearm&holster as my underwear)
And of course, if they approach and say it's unwelcome I will certainly leave and let them know that No gun = No money.

This is all really helpful. Thank you!

HPmatt

My LGS allows OC - all of the guys working there OC - even in Texas suppose it being Private property, and given their neighborhood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FMJ 911

Once I carried into a LGS and the guy behind the counter asked "What's that Pistol ya got there? Is it a PPK?" Just to mess with him I replied: "I dunno, just found it a few minutes ago."

The look on his face was priceless!

dogshawred

I can't see myself sponsoring a LGS through spending my money there, if they were to be restrictive regarding how anyone would carry their weapon legally. It is like any other establishment who chooses to restrict access while carrying, they don't get my money.
~
First and foremost I can't even understand why a gun store would restrict what they sell and want the public to buy, this just doesn't make any sense. If they are worried about a crime occurring in their establishment because of the neighborhood, they need to move to a safer location and get back to the business they have chosen. Providing service to law abiding citizens interesting in the ownership of firearms in America.
~
All the LGS in my area have zero restrictions or problems with any kind of carry. I live in rural Ohio.

Perkins

I've got to say I'm rather dissapointed tonight with the local pawn shop. I've been OCing there to buy reloading supplies and assorted other things for almost a year; today when I got to the front door, they had a large sign saying only unloaded OC allowed. I left. The problem is these companies have no way to know how many people leave due to their signs and policies. With no feedback form available to those of us who won't ignore their signs, the fact that I can't enter means I can't tell them they lost my business. How do you measure a non-event?

sudden valley gunner

I've got to say I'm rather dissapointed tonight with the local pawn shop. I've been OCing there to buy reloading supplies and assorted other things for almost a year; today when I got to the front door, they had a large sign saying only unloaded OC allowed. I left. The problem is these companies have no way to know how many people leave due to their signs and policies. With no feedback form available to those of us who won't ignore their signs, the fact that I can't enter means I can't tell them they lost my business. How do you measure a non-event?

Call them. I did when I was asked to leave Wal-mart, corporation corrected the problem.

John was asked to leave a local Pawn shop. The staff had erred, the owner corrected it.