• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this any good?

rightwinglibertarian

I'm starting to price up firearms but kinda need to do it on a budget. Was looking at this for a gun and this for a holster. I will not be getting a licence unless I utterly have to so would that holster be good enough to pass for open carry? Also the No Guns, No ID cards mention licences and I do not intend to get one. Looking for other options to give to the places I've seen that don't believe in allowing the public to protect themselves

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
I've never tried a belly band holster, they look uncomfortable to me. Plus, I think they're more for concealed carry. Make sure that the pistol will fit, looks like the belly band is designed for semi-automatics. Gander has other universal holsters that might work better. You can test fit the pistol at the store. Be sure to bring the holster to the gun, I think they might frown on wandering away from the counter with their gun. . . :)

I can't speak for the Cimarron, I've never shot one, and as far as I remember, have never spoken to anyone that has.

WalkingWolf

Cimarron firearms are good guns from what I have seen, don't know anything about the 22 though. I believe they are made by Uberti, I have a 44 magnum Taylor made by Pietta, both companies make good guns. Holsters for SA revolvers are easy to find on ebay for a reasonable amount of money, styled for a western revolver. Cabellas and Gander mountain both should have economic western holsters also. If you are considering concealed carry you might want to think about a semi auto. Smaller more concealable, and lighter. The SR22 is around 300 dollars.

pkbites

Carrying a single action revolver (in paltry .22 yet) in a belly band seems very odd to me, but whatever floats your boat.
Self defense wise, it is better than carrying nothing at all.

I've read mixed reviews on the Cimarron, so I have no idea what to believe on them.

WalkingWolf

Carrying a single action revolver (in paltry .22 yet) in a belly band seems very odd to me, but whatever floats your boat.

I've read mixed reviews on the Cimarron, so I have no idea what to believe on them.

At that price I have my doubts it is the usual Uberti or Pietta revolver. It is possible Cimarron contracted a company for zamac frame gun in their name. But there is no reason in 22 a zamac gun would not do the job.

rightwinglibertarian

Hmmm.... Well 22 ammo is a pain to get apparently. Anything else at about that price range that would suit a newbie?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

Hmmm.... Well 22 ammo is a pain to get apparently. Anything else at about that price range that would suit a newbie?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Hi Point is in your price range and 9mm is mostly available. After break in Hi Points are a good gun for the money. A C9 should cost a little under 200, and you can get a fobus holster for about 15 dollars on ebay, free shipping.

If you go that route, lock the slide back and load the mags full, leave the gun sit for a week. Then rack the slide empty gun about 200 times. Then load up and have fun, the above steps will speed break in. You may have to adjust the mag feed lips, but I did not have to do that on mine. I have never had a failure on ours, but it is a CF380.

Last edited:

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Hi Point is in your price range and 9mm is mostly available. After break in Hi Points are a good gun for the money. A C9 should cost a little under 200, and you can get a fobus holster for about 15 dollars on ebay, free shipping.

If you go that route, lock the slide back and load the mags full, leave the gun sit for a week. Then rack the slide empty gun about 200 times. Then load up and have fun, the above steps will speed break in. You may have to adjust the mag feed lips, but I did not have to do that on mine. I have never had a failure on ours, but it is a CF380.

I'm quoting this because it just may be the best advice for a new shooter with limited budget that I've ever seen.

rightwinglibertarian

I'm quoting this because it just may be the best advice for a new shooter with limited budget that I've ever seen.

in which case I will hang tight and when I get the $$ I will head up to Gander Mountain. Question is how much personal info will the government make them take off me? I highly doubt i'll be able to walk in and out in 15 minutes.

WalkingWolf

in which case I will hang tight and when I get the $$ I will head up to Gander Mountain. Question is how much personal info will the government make them take off me? I highly doubt i'll be able to walk in and out in 15 minutes.

Depends on state law. You will at the least be required to fill out a form 4473, and wait for instant background check to clear.

MKEgal

The belly band is generally for concealed carry, but if you wore it over your shirt it wouldn't cover any more than an OWB or IWB holster, so it'd probably count as OC.
They work better for men, since men don't have a waist... I like my belly band, but the strap around the back tends to roll into a cord & be uncomfortable.
The elastic one you're looking at will probably be more comfortable w/r/t heat & sweating than one made of neoprene.
Whatever you decide on, practice drawing with an UNLOADED pistol so you're less likely to fumble with it.

pkbites said:
Carrying a single action revolver (in paltry .22 yet) in a belly band seems very odd to me...
rightwinglibertarian said:
Anything else at about that price range that would suit a newbie?
What I tell my students in re "what gun is right for me?", is that the only 2 absolute statements I'll make on the subject are:
don't use a .22 if there is any way to get any higher caliber
don't use a single-action revolver if there is any way to get any other pistol

I think I might need to start adding: don't go to Gander Mountain. (Unless it's only to do what I'm going to describe below, shop for guns, but never buy anything.)
Aside from being overpriced, several years ago, when we were working on concealed carry in WI, the NRA-ILA rented meeting rooms from GM across the state to hold informational meetings so people could learn about the bills being suggested and how they could support the movement.
Just a few days before the meetings started, GM broke the contract, claiming that when they rented the meeting space, they didn't know what the NRA was about or what they'd be discussing. This change of heart was thanks to pressure from some few vocal anti-gun people (similar to Demanding Moms), most of whom have probably never been in a GM.
So the NRA-ILA had to scramble to find new meeting space. I believe many were moved to Cablea's.
(And once concealed carry passed, GM opened a new store just NW of Milwaukee, called "Gun World", to take advantage of the people who aren't principled, or weren't aware of the problem they caused.)

So... that being said, here's my standard recommendation for someone shopping for their first pistol.
Go to a store & handle all the different models you can. It's nice to the staff to do this at a non-busy time. It'll be less frustrating for you too.
Don't let them steer your choice, you're only there to find what fits your hand. Handle everything.
Make a list of those pistols; they have to feel right, you have to be able to hold & control it or it's not safe.
Now go to a range which has rental guns, or get some friends together who have the models you're interested in, and try everything on your list. Again, see which ones fit your hand & you can control.

Now consider whether you want a semiauto or revolver, as well as price.
Revolvers are slightly more reliable, but if they jam you might need a gunsmith to fix it.
Semiautos are slightly more likely to jam, but most malfunctions can be fixed by you on the spot.
Revolvers are thicker, semiautos generally have higher capacity (for the same caliber).

rightwinglibertarian said:
how much personal info will the government make them take off me?
I highly doubt i'll be able to walk in and out in 15 minutes.
Here's the 4473 form you'll have to fill out if you buy from a dealer.
http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf
In Wisconsin, there is a 48-hour waiting period for a pistol purchase from a dealer, after the background check is done. Long guns can go home with you the same day.

Find a private sale, through ArmsList or a show or something similar.
You'll get more gun for less money and the ATF won't have a record of it.
Also, there's no waiting period.

As for refusing to get a license, you will have to be careful of "gun-free" school zones - the non-private property which is within 1000' of the edge of any property which holds a school of grades 1-12.
Without a license, you are required to have your firearm unloaded & encased while in that magical area.
Also, you're not allowed to be armed in taxpayer-owned buildings, and if you want to go into a restaurant which serves alcohol you'll have to get permission from the owner or manager.

MikeLovell

Ey up :lol:

I'm a UK citizen, now a US resident. Not sure you're situation but if you don't have residency DON'T buy a gun (even if you can). It's against the law, you'll get in some very serious trouble (re: jail) if you get caught with one.

AFAIK no background check or registration is required in Wisconsin. So you could probably purchase a gun regardless of your status.

I've purchased many guns there, I only had to produce ID (and my FOID) because I have them transferred to by home state (Illinois).

Bernymac

Ey up :lol:

I'm a UK citizen, now a US resident. Not sure you're situation but if you don't have residency DON'T buy a gun (even if you can). It's against the law, you'll get in some very serious trouble (re: jail) if you get caught with one.

AFAIK no background check or registration is required in Wisconsin. So you could probably purchase a gun regardless of your status.

I've purchased many guns there, I only had to produce ID (and my FOID) because I have them transferred to by home state (Illinois).

This is overall bad advice, even with the "AFAIK" and "probably" disclaimers :eek:

MikeLovell

This is overall bad advice, even with the "AFAIK" and "probably" disclaimers :eek:

Advising somebody not to buy a gun illegally is bad advice?

I popped up mainly from the immigration point of view. Hence the disclaimers on the background/purchasing.

MikeLovell

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Okay, not sure that's what the respondent ment - If he did, he went about it in a very strange way! :

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person—

[...]

(5) who, being an alien
  • (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
  • (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)));

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—

[...]

(5) who, being an alien
  • (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
  • (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)));

[...]

to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0123.htm

Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms or ammunition?

Yes, a person cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm in interstate commerce if he or she:

[...]

5. is unlawfully in the United States or is an illegal alien or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (with some exceptions);

Last edited: