• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mayor Jones & Police Chief whine about OC "culture" and "illegal"(sic) weapons

Repeater

Mayor Jones & Police Chief whine about OC "culture" and "illegal"(sic) weapons

Gun-hating Mayor Dwight C. Jones is on the warpath again, whining about so-called illegal guns and the culture of displaying guns defiantly. See here:

Mayor, police chief condemn illegal guns
As Mayor Dwight C. Jones spoke during a news conference Tuesday about the number of children who have been shot in Richmond this year, he was asked whether he felt the city has a gun problem.

“Illegal firearms are a problem,” Jones said. “They are a significant problem.”

“I think illegal guns are inextricably bound to the rate of crime that we have in our city,” Jones said. “Guns are a very important part of our problem in our city.”

[Chief] Tarasovic echoed the mayor’s concerns about people feeling like they are free to walk around the city with illegal guns and to do as they wish with them. As an example, the chief cited the wounding of the 5-year-old boy in Whitcomb Court, a shooting that occurred in the daytime and apparently was witnessed by a number of people.

Tarasovic said his officers were on the scene within a minute of the shooting call, but that he would have preferred for them to have been on the scene within a minute of a call about people walking around with illegal guns.

The chief spoke of “a cavalier attitude that people have in displaying firearms,” and he said Richmond residents need to work with police to help end that culture.

So, the chief wants to "end that culture" -- isn't that hateful? These Hoplophobes deserve aggressive pushback.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As someone who has been falsely accused (as proven in a court of law) of "thrusting my hip provocatively" I'd like to see how those two will respond to the defiant display of firearms committed by the RPD.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

As someone who has been falsely accused (as proven in a court of law) of "thrusting my hip provocatively" I'd like to see how those two will respond to the defiant display of firearms committed by the RPD.

stay safe.

I have done that, but I wasn't carrying a handgun at the time~~In fact I still do it on occasion, it's good for the heart.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Gun-hating Mayor Dwight C. Jones is on the warpath again, whining about so-called illegal guns and the culture of displaying guns defiantly. See here:

So, the chief wants to "end that culture" -- isn't that hateful? These Hoplophobes deserve aggressive pushback.

I think you are taking a little too much poetic license in using the Chief's words about "displaying a firearm". I don't see how his comments have anything to do with OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thing is we all know there is no such thing as an "illegal gun" except maybe the street sweeper.

There are people that will do bad things with knives, baseball bats, bricks, hammers - the list is endless.

When did you ever hear of an "illegal baseball bat" or "illegal hammer"?

The major and chief are in tandem, pushing their negative spin - I have little patience for such.

countryclubjoe

A question to both idiots would be? How many law abiding citizens are walking around town with illegal guns?

Also what is an " illegal gun" ?

Regards

CCJ

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Agreed. I was there and that is not what was said. Talk about spewing hate.

Well please tell us exactly what the good Chief did say then Kenny. :uhoh:

I realize the city is misunderstood and they really didn't try to ban guns at the Convention Center, or take a member of this forum's gun with no reason other than he was wearing it outside of his apartment one night ...and kept it for over a year before settling a lawsuit, or carrying an OC'er out of city council chambers because one of the misunderstood city employees thought a camera and a gun equaled brandishing...

Damn fine people and a pox on those nasty folks that think they're biased in any way.

Good for you for seeing it with your usual "City Vision"
smiley-laughing021.gif

countryclubjoe

How defiant of a citizen to exercise his/her right to keep an bear arms. The only defiant ones are the tyrannical mayor and his **** *** chief.

My .02

CCJ

Last edited by a moderator:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Unregistered machine guns?
Rifles less than 26" in overall length, or with barrels of less than 16"?
Short-barreled shotguns?
possibly stolen firearms? (Good chance, it seems to me that there are plenty of those in the City of Richmond.)

Last edited:

OC for ME

Agreed. I was there and that is not what was said. Talk about spewing hate.
Umm...
The chief spoke of “a cavalier attitude that people have in displaying firearms,” and he said Richmond residents need to work with police to help end that culture.
Please note the use of quotation marks. This typically signifies that the writer is quoting someone's words. If you have evidence that the good chief did not use those words then you should pursue a retraction/correction being published by the offending writer/publisher.

Knowing only a wee bit about VA law, it seems that the good chief is endorsing/promoting a campaign of unlawful harassment aimed towards LACs who OC.

Repeater

Umm...
Please note the use of quotation marks. This typically signifies that the writer is quoting someone's words. If you have evidence that the good chief did not use those words then you should pursue a retraction/correction being published by the offending writer/publisher.

Knowing only a wee bit about VA law, it seems that the good chief is endorsing/promoting a campaign of unlawful harassment aimed towards LACs who OC.

We have witnessed, just in the central Virginia area, law enforcement too often conflating "display" to mean "brandish" -- which is then followed by an arrest.

The reporter, Joe Macenka, was there and seems professional enough to have quoted accurately.

taurusfan

From the RTD story:

"Richmond police said that as of Tuesday, they had confiscated 274 illegal firearms in the city so far in 2014."

An "illegal firearm" I suppose means one that is possessed by a prohibited person, such as a convicted felon.

The problem is that they talk about firearms being illegal whereas it should be about criminal behavior.

How about this headline instead:

"Richmond police sent 274 criminals back to jail who were found to be illegally in possession of a firearm."

I would like to know how many criminals were taken off the street along with the 274 firearms they illegally possessed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From the RTD story:

"Richmond police said that as of Tuesday, they had confiscated 274 illegal firearms in the city so far in 2014."

An "illegal firearm" I suppose means one that is possessed by a prohibited person, such as a convicted felon.

The problem is that they talk about firearms being illegal whereas it should be about criminal behavior.

How about this headline instead:

"Richmond police sent 274 criminals back to jail who were found to be illegally in possession of a firearm."

I would like to know how many criminals were taken off the street along with the 274 firearms they illegally possessed.

And what will be the disposition of those guns?