• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Over the Weekend (northern Puget Sound)

birdus

Just wanted to relay my OC experience over the weekend:

• Drove from Tacoma to Port Townsend
  • Took the ferry to Whidbey Island (no problems)
  • Drove to Coupeville, walked around, and had lunch (no problems)
  • Drove to Clinton and took the ferry to Mukilteo (see below)
  • Went to the Future of Flight Aviation & Boeing Tour at the north end of Payne Field (see below)
  • Drove about 10 minutes to a friend's house and had dinner with him and his wife
  • Drove home to Tacoma

On the ferry to Mukilteo (if I recall correctly), as I was coming back inside, I held the door open for a couple young boys behind me. They saw my gun and froze. I asked if they were coming. Their mom, who was already inside, told them to come along and say thank you. One of them asked if I was a cop. I said nope and that I was just a regular guy. He asked why I had a gun. I said for protection and to exercise my rights. I said it's important for us to exercise my rights and then added "Later! When you're older!" as little kids obviously don't know or care about such things. Their mother let us talk and just smiled the whole time. That was cool.

So, no problems at all on the two ferries.

When I walked into the Boeing building at Payne Field, no one batted an eye at my gun as I bought tickets to walk around the facility and take the tour. I noticed that a flyer on the counter listed all the things you couldn't take on the tour: phones, cameras, food, weapons (pictures of a knife and gun). Then headed into the area there where you could walk around and see incredible engines and other Boeing stuff. As I entered that area, there was a sign that said no food or drinks. Nothing about guns. However, a dude (security, maybe) told me no guns were allowed here (in the area beyond the main entrance/ticket area). He knew it wasn't on the signs but said that's the policy. I was going to have to put it back in my car anyway before the tour, so it wasn't a big deal. He was nice about it. I talked to him more later and he figured they don't have it on signs just so as not to draw people's attention to the fact that someone might have a gun. Also, before the tour started, an armed security guard went over the rules. He said no weapons and mentioned pepper spray and knives, but said nothing about guns. They definitely don't want to talk about guns too much!

I sort of expected not to be able to OC inside the Boeing facilities and so wan't too surprised or disappointed.

Anyway, great day on Sunday and another good experience OCing.