Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA backs down, admits it ‘was a mistake’ to shame open carry activists.

NRA backs down, admits it ‘was a mistake’ to shame open carry activists.

The National Rifle Association said it was a mistake to label open carry demonstrators in Texas as “attention-hungry” and “weird” last week in a statement that caused many gun enthusiasts to disavow the organization. Chris Cox, the executive director of the group’s lobbying arm, said Tuesday on an NRA-hosted radio show that the group “unequivocally” supports open carry laws, and that the controversial statement saying otherwise was written by a staffer who was expressing his personal opinion.
    [ ... ]
    A statement that appeared on the website for the NRA’s lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action, shunned Open Carry Texas and similar groups after they walked into Texas-area outlets of Sonic and Chili’s restaurants carrying military-style assault rifles, causing the restaurants to stiffen their gun policies.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-to-shame-op/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...S52KMHTgATO0_M 261 articles ATM
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Too late NRA ! You showed your true spots !

More of a handwashing, damage control stunt than anything.

Pulled this quote from Reddit:
    I actually just listened to it. The NRA rep is not saying he supports Open Carry Texas' tactics, in fact he just said (typing as I'm listening to this):

"Some of those tactics have already changed in Texas and that's something that I think is in the long-term best interests of our movement."
    What he's referring to there is the recent change in policy by Open Carry Texas[1] where they said members are to immediately cease carrying longarms into businesses.
    Basically what he says is that it was "a poor choice of words", primarily referring to their description of the OC of longarms as "weird", he is not saying that they support the tactic of open carrying rifles and shotguns into private businesses, although, of course, they support the right of people to be able to do that - he says, and I'm paraphrasing, "The NRA's official position is that people should be able to carry guns, openly or concealed, anywhere they have a legal right to be." Now, just a sidenote, stop and think about that statement for a second: do you have a legal right to be on someone else's private property? Hint hint, wink wink, get it?
    They're being very careful and tactful in what they're saying and hoping that people will read between the lines. Oh, and on that note: pay attention to his "good judgement" comments at the beginning as well, I think there's a bit of hint hint, nudge nudge, "Pssst, carrying ARs into Chipotle is not good judgement" going on there as well.
    In other words the NRA, TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association), and now Open Carry Texas are all saying, along with probably 98% of us pro-gun-rights advocates and concealed carriers, to the people OC'ing longarms into private businesses: ******* quit that **** you dumbasses.

I was a charter member of the ILA..... I now consider the NRA to be the most successful gun control organization in the country.

Interesting that an 800 lb gorilla backs down. No other power-that-be has ever forced the NRA to do something like that before (to my knowledge). I'd take it that the top-brass got an earful from a whole lot of us lowly citizens. I'm gonna make it a point to remind them of their lack of OC support each and every time I get one of their fund-raising letters.
    Last edited by OC4me; 06-05-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I was a charter member of the ILA..... I now consider the NRA to be the most successful gun control organization in the country.
    Kinda like exactly what they are. http://www.salon.com/2013/01/14/the_...d_gun_control/

Centurion

An 800 lb Gorilla that you can make back down is very useful

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Interesting that an 800 lb gorilla backs down. No other power-that-be has ever forced the NRA to do something like that before (to my knowledge). I'd take it that the top-brass got an earful from a whole lot of us lowly citizens. I'm gonna make it a point to remind them of their lack of OC support each and every time I get one of their fund-raising letters.
    It shows who is actually driving the bus. It is us, the activists. Do not throw away the power of that 800 lb gorilla, now that we have it somewhat tamed.

Today's NRA is far different from the NRA of only 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    It shows who is actually driving the bus. It is us, the activists. Do not throw away the power of that 800 lb gorilla, now that we have it somewhat tamed.

Today's NRA is far different from the NRA of only 20 years ago.
    Today's NRA is only concerned with CHL generated revenue.

NOW OCT should request what is the NRA going to do to make OC legal in Texas.
    Time to make them back up their revised words with Legislative action.
    Making a note to call the 2 Texas NRA-ILA Field Reps:

Chris S. Griffin, Sr.
    CGriffin@nrahq.org

Liz Foley
    LFoley@nrahq.org
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    NOW OCT should request what is the NRA going to do to make OC legal in Texas.
    Time to make them back up their revised words with Legislative action.
    Making a note to call the 2 Texas NRA-ILA Field Reps:

Chris S. Griffin, Sr.
    CGriffin@nrahq.org

Liz Foley
    LFoley@nrahq.org
    Most likely, they will work hard to make sure that when OC passes, it passes as licensed OC. Any unlicensed OC bills they will probably work to kill.
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Today's NRA is only concerned with CHL generated revenue.
    can you possibly explain to this weary individual how the NRA is generating revenue from CHL. CCW, CHP, etc.?

NC, CHP instructors can become authorized to train and issue certificates of training to NC citizens by being LE who pockets the money from the citizens for their training?

i believe other states have similar criteria.

NRA instructors, if they conduct CHP classes do so as private citizens and the citizen's money goes to the instructor not the NRA.

Citizens take their certificates to the sheriff and pay $80+/- which doesn't go to the NRA,

so the revenue you refer ?

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 06-05-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    can you possibly explain to this weary individual how the NRA is generating revenue from CHL. CCW, CHP, etc.?

NC, CHP instructors can become authorized to train and issue certificates of training to NC citizens by being LE who pockets the money from the citizens for their training?

i believe other states have similar criteria.

NRA instructors, if they conduct CHP classes do so as private citizens and the citizen's money goes to the instructor not the NRA.

Citizens take their certificates to the sheriff and pay $80+/- which doesn't go to the NRA,

so the revenue you refer ?

ipse
    In Texas, before you can take the state run and required class to be certified as a CHL instructor, you must first be certified as a firearms instructor by a third. Which pretty much means NRA certification for the vast majority of instructors.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    In Texas, before you can take the state run and required class to be certified as a CHL instructor, you must first be certified as a firearms instructor by a third. Which pretty much means NRA certification for the vast majority of instructors.
    Yes, this.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Which I believe is their motive for anti OC in very strong OC states like mine.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

National Rifle Association occurs in South Carolina Code of Laws once only

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions. [SC ST SEC 23-31-210]
    As used in this article:
    [ ... ]
    (5) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:
    [ ... ]
    (b) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or another SLED-approved competent national organization that promotes the safe use of handguns;
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/statmast.php

When I certified, NRA training counselors were in great demand. I may have contributed $500 to the class of a dozen or more, to pay his way, room, board and fees for our class. On information and belief, the NRA profited greatly.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The NRA is not pro liberty, the NRA is pro NRA.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I am sorry, but you have not answered the question...how is the NRA generating revenue from conceal permit training?

especially, since the citizens' CC training money goes to a private individual.

oh could you also please provide from the NRA's portal, which course is listed as 'basic Conceal carry for citizens' or the instructor level for that type of course.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions. [SC ST SEC 23-31-210]
    As used in this article:
    [ ... ]
    (5) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:
    [ ... ]
    (b) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or another SLED-approved competent national organization that promotes the safe use of handguns;
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/statmast.php

When I certified, NRA training counselors were in great demand. I may have contributed $500 to the class of a dozen or more, to pay his way, room, board and fees for our class. On information and belief, the NRA profited greatly.
    how disappointing nightmare, I would have expected better: you seem to have left out a bit of information...
    (5)
    (a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, has successfully completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must be a minimum of eight hours and must include, but is not limited to:
    (snip as it references material to be covered.)

(b) you quoted for your own agenda

(c) a person who can demonstrate to the Director of SLED or his designee that he has a proficiency in both the use of handguns and state laws pertaining to handguns;

(d) an active duty police handgun instructor;

(e) a person who has a SLED-certified or approved competitive handgun shooting classification; or

(f) a member of the active or reserve military, or a member of the National Guard who has had handgun training in the previous three years.

so, lets see nightmare, any person, any 3 year military member, any active duty police handgun instructor, someone who is SLED certified, oh and any individual 'who can demonstrate to the director or his designee they have proficiency....

darn nightmare, that sounds just about everybody in the whole state of SC should be able to teach whoever is remaining of the SC citizens classes so they can get their CC permit.

so your self serving post is quite a disappointment since it appears only 16% of the statute references NRA instructors being authorized ~ wait a moment, oh wait, that should be 8% since (b) states an 'OR'...

now your point?

I am sorry, but you have not answered the question...how is the NRA generating revenue from conceal permit training?
    You can not seriously be that obtuse...

especially, since the citizens' CC training money goes to a private individual.
    And those instructors certified by the NRA never give money to the NRA?

oh could you also please provide from the NRA's portal, which course is listed as 'basic Conceal carry for citizens' or the instructor level for that type of course.

ipse
    http://training.nra.org/instructors/...nstructor.aspx

Herp derp.

You can not seriously be that obtuse...

And those instructors certified by the NRA never give money to the NRA?

http://training.nra.org/instructors/...nstructor.aspx

Herp derp.
    sorry do you have something caught in your throat? should i assist using the Heimlich?

nawllll, not that obtuse, just asked a question ~ awaiting a viable articulable, unemotional, non-edgy response

really, jack you are pulling that...i am also sure the NRA instructors you refer to are also contributing to GOA, JFPO, local grass root groups, ad nausum.

the original statement you are rallying around concerned NRA is making mega bucks off the CC instruction. SORRY you have not shown that connection. Especially since i pointed out citizens CC training monies goes directly to the instructor, who may be LE, NRA, or any other individual who can convince the state's powers to be they are qualified to conduct the training.

lastly, the portal i pulled up with your link seems to be missing a specific listing to the NRA's basic or instructor conceal carry course.

please, it has been professed by many of the readership at being upset about misinformation put out by the antis, think you can at least put a plausible connection to your rhetoric or you are as guilty as the antis.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 06-08-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: bloody spell checker

We have given you what you want, if you don't want to acknowledge the truth, then that's your problem.

I'm going to hold your hand, I'm just going to laugh at you. Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

We have given you what you want, if you don't want to acknowledge the truth, then that's your problem.

I'm going to hold your hand, I'm just going to laugh at you. Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    it amazes me, truly does, the prevalence whenever some members generate hyperbole type statement(s), are challenged, and lack the wherewithal to substantiate or refute the logic applied to their stated hyperbole, so they resort to diversion by trying to belittle or ridicule.

as you stated, 'if you do not wish to acknowledge the truth', i ask you please refrain from spreading emotional based gossip through your postings, especially those which you cannot substantiate.

BTW, thanks for showing 'the truth is out there!' and the fallacy(ies) you presented in your hyperbole.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 06-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.

With all due respect, hyperbole is the medium for influence. It is used by the media, it is used by the anit gun crowd, it is used by the CC only crowd. In fact it is used by everybody, from sports to even dancing. In today's society if you do not get in the face of your opponents YOU lose.

Every civil rights issue was won with in your face not backing down. Would it have made more sense to sit in the back of the bus, and not rock the boat? The water is the same from the white and the colored fountain, just what is the big deal? Why can't gays just keep their gayness to themselves? Handicap people just make things more expensive for others, they should just stay home. Why should I have to park further for them to be close?

If the NRA had been leading the charge on any of these issues they would be concealed, and only permitted with a license. AS it stands now in some states because SCOTUS has ruled that 2A is about self defense, people are actually expected to get a permit to protect themselves from harm.

And some people find this acceptable!
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

+1 Squeaky wheel scares the pols and the sheeple go along witness gay marriage vs DOMA, citizenship for illegals vs 85% Americans want border control, CAIR (as Hamas front) vs americans and freedom seeking muslims, etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast