• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Juror refused right to be a jury over asking about lock box

Jeff Hayes

That is unacceptable I hope he follows through demanding some training at a minimum. The judge needs some education as well.

Last edited:

ghosthunter

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
That is unacceptable I hope he follows through demanding some training at a minimum. The judge needs some education as well.

Jeff he needs to make them pay until it hurts and then some more. Likely this is the only way to get their attention which will ensure they get the training they really need.

Jeff Hayes

Jeff he needs to make them pay until it hurts and then some more. Likely this is the only way to get their attention which will ensure they get the training they really need.

Agreed, the language used by the officer was enough for me, then there was the assault.

Geerolla

With each new encounter I'm still amazed at how law enforcement officers can be so ignorant of the laws they're tasked to uphold. And to call an informed citizen a ********* when he actually knows the laws you're supposed to? What a disgrace.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

WalkingWolf

My understanding is that jury duty, is a DUTY, though not a right it is more compelling as there is no choice. The officers were wrong to deny him from doing his duty, thereby putting him in violation of the law. They violated his civil rights by denying his duty.

sudden valley gunner

+1

Officials need to start being prosecuted.

sudden valley gunner

My understanding is that jury duty, is a DUTY, though not a right it is more compelling as there is no choice. The officers were wrong to deny him from doing his duty, thereby putting him in violation of the law. They violated his civil rights by denying his duty.

You are right my title should have been worded better, was paraphrasing the article.

The defendant has the right to a trial by jury. Seems to me the courthouse doesn't want this type of juror.......me wonders why.:(

tombrewster421

Absolutely!

EMNofSeattle

I can guarantee that even if they summon him back for jury duty no prosecutor in their right mind would let him actually serve on a jury....

I think this goon was a corrections officer, not an actual police officer...... But still he should pursue a civil case at least. Just go have the county prosecutor served with the complain they probably won't settle fast enough.....

Difdi

With each new encounter I'm still amazed at how law enforcement officers can be so ignorant of the laws they're tasked to uphold.

What gets to me the most about that sort of thing is that all citizens are expected to have sufficient expertise in the law to avoid volating the law. As the saying goes, ignorance of the law is not an excuse. But the thing is, that expectation is based on the standard education and training ALL citizens at least theoretically receive.

A police officer gets that same basic training everyone does -- I have never heard of a department that will hire an officer who lacks a high school diploma (or equivalent). On top of that, most police departments' hiring policies require that an applicant have either graduated from a police academy or have a couple years in college in a relevant field, and a few require both. By that standard, police are better trained in the law and its enforcement than any other citizens except judges and lawyers.

And yet, while ignorance of the law is not an excuse for anyone else, it IS an excuse for police officers. How does that work, exactly?

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

With each new encounter I'm still amazed at how law enforcement officers can be so ignorant of the laws they're tasked to uphold.
Because they are law enforcement professionals. They know the most effective way to use handcuffs, the best places to put a pain compliance hold, where (and where not) to strike with a baton, and how to "cuff 'em and stuff 'em", that's their profession. Whether something is a violation of the law is matter for another party to decide; the county solicitor.

madicarus

And yet, while ignorance of the law is not an excuse for anyone else, it IS an excuse for police officers. How does that work, exactly?

What makes it look worse is the officer is a sergeant that you would expect to know and understand the law better since they usually are involved in training. What do you usually do when you dont like the response from the officer, ask for a supervisor who is supposed to be more knowledgeable and professional. so this supervisor doesnt know the law about providing secure storage in a courthouse or about recording public officials (no he didnt need permission, even if he was a "d-bag" attorney). Then it gets worse, the sergeant gets visibly flustered and starts name calling and degrading the guy, in front of subordinates. The same as saying it's ok to treat the public like "d-bag" because the supervisor does it and if there is a complaint, the supervisor gets to look into it. If that's how their sergeants act, makes you wonder how the rest of the leadership will act if they look into this.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

What makes it look worse is the officer is a sergeant that you would expect to know and understand the law better since they usually are involved in training. What do you usually do when you dont like the response from the officer, ask for a supervisor who is supposed to be more knowledgeable and professional. so this supervisor doesnt know the law about providing secure storage in a courthouse or about recording public officials (no he didnt need permission, even if he was a "d-bag" attorney). Then it gets worse, the sergeant gets visibly flustered and starts name calling and degrading the guy, in front of subordinates. The same as saying it's ok to treat the public like "d-bag" because the supervisor does it and if there is a complaint, the supervisor gets to look into it. If that's how their sergeants act, makes you wonder how the rest of the leadership will act if they look into this.

Ahh, paramilitary. Attracting the best, brightest and most ethical since.... never?