• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Juror refused right to be a jury over asking about lock box

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I can guarantee that even if they summon him back for jury duty no prosecutor in their right mind would let him actually serve on a jury...

But that is the prosecutor's call to make, and he has to do it in the courtroom and use his allowances for dismissing jurors to do it. They can't screen prospective jurors, by ANY method, in the lobby.

Dave_pro2a

God I love Jury duty, it let's me flex my Rights.

I can envision finding a defendant guilty, it would just require proof beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant had caused actual damage to property or an actual injury to a living person.

In other words, I'd nullify 99.9% of the cases an average court sees.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

God I love Jury duty, it let's me flex my Rights.

I can envision finding a defendant guilty, it would just require proof beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant had caused actual damage to property or an actual injury to a living person.

In other words, I'd nullify 99.9% of the cases an average court sees.

I don't think you would, I used to watch trials. At least in kitsap county, the charge has to be severe to take it to jury trial.... The little cases that make for good nullification are always settled.

My prosecutor likes to bring flimsy cases with no evidence, but that's not nullification if you find not guilty....

Dave_pro2a

I don't think you would, I used to watch trials. At least in kitsap county, the charge has to be severe to take it to jury trial.... The little cases that make for good nullification are always settled.

My prosecutor likes to bring flimsy cases with no evidence, but that's not nullification if you find not guilty....

DUI w/o injury or damage = no conviction

Assault where the strong possibility exists for mutually agreed upon combat = no conviction

Drug possession = no conviction

Drug dealing = no conviction

Felon in possession of a gun = no conviction

Plus I try to ruin as many in the pool as possible. By ruin I mean, explain their Right to judge the law itself as well as the facts of the case.

JoeSparky

Centurion
My understanding is that jury duty, is a DUTY, though not a right it is more compelling as there is no choice. The officers were wrong to deny him from doing his duty, thereby putting him in violation of the law. They violated his civil rights by denying his duty.

My thoughts EXACTLY. And further, on the persons who informed him he was not needed, Did they have AUTHORIZATION from the court to release him or is the potential juror who has now FAILED TO RESPOND at risk from the court for failing to do his required DUTY?

It was not just the potential juror's rights that were violated but also the rights of the accused/defendant in any case he may have heard AS A JUROR!

Last edited:

Difdi

Whether something is a violation of the law is matter for another party to decide; the county solicitor.

Just one problem with that: Police cannot make a lawful arrest without probable cause to believe a crime has been or is about to be committed. If they have no clue what the law is, they lack probable cause by default.

sudden valley gunner

Just one problem with that: Police cannot make a lawful arrest without probable cause to believe a crime has been or is about to be committed. If they have no clue what the law is, they lack probable cause by default.

That's why they claim to have powers in the non crimes of resisting and obstruction.

EMNofSeattle

Assault where the strong possibility exists for mutually agreed upon combat = no conviction

Drug possession = no conviction

Drug dealing = no conviction

Felon in possession of a gun = no conviction

Plus I try to ruin as many in the pool as possible. By ruin I mean, explain their Right to judge the law itself as well as the facts of the case.

I might be inclined to agree on most, except DUI. Everyone is the victim when someone drives drunk. If you don't punish someone for driving drunk they'll keep doing it until they kill someone. Sometimes they will anyway. But at least we deter a few...

Dave_pro2a

I might be inclined to agree on most, except DUI. Everyone is the victim when someone drives drunk. If you don't punish someone for driving drunk they'll keep doing it until they kill someone. Sometimes they will anyway. But at least we deter a few...

Well, let's just punish everyone on the basis of what may happen -- before anything actually happens.

That is the anti-gunner logic on banning firearms.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Well, let's just punish everyone on the basis of what may happen -- before anything actually happens.

+1 on that sarcasm.

Education is always more effective than threat of punishment.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Not exactly. You must be licensed to drive a motor vehicle. Not being drunk while doing so is a condition to receive the license. You agree to these terms when you ask for the license.

Now some argue you shouldn't need a license to drive, but that's a different argument.

Dave_pro2a

Not exactly. You must be licensed to drive a motor vehicle. Not being drunk while doing so is a condition to receive the license. You agree to these terms when you ask for the license.

Now some argue you shouldn't need a license to drive, but that's a different argument.

As a juror, I can judge that 'regulation' as well as the facts of the case.

Last edited:

OC for ME

DUI is a bogus law instituted as a means to generate revenue for the state. If the state gave a rat's azz about folks being killed by drunk drivers cops would be camped out at every bar in their jurisdiction.

But, thanks for the statist view.