• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you open carry grandfathered magazines?

DanNabis

Since every "high capacity" magazine in possession at the time the Evil-2013-Legislation was passed is grandfathered in and is legal to possess,

(and further, that the burden is on the state to disprove anyone's statement that their magazine is grandfathered)

Do you (or someone who isn't you) open carry a grandfathered high capacity magazine?

"Grandfather Clause: A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if he or she (1) owns the magazine on July 1, 2013 and (2) maintains continuous possession of the magazine. If a person asserts the grandfather provision as a defense against an alleged violation of the law, the prosecution has the burden of proof to refute the assertion."

SteveInCO

Is there any reason NOT to carry a grandfathered mag?

Since the only alternative to my just-barely-evil 16 rounders is a ten rounder... yes. Interesting that our fifteen round limit started out in debate as a ten round limit and was amended. But it nonetheless often has the effect of a ten round limit because manufacturers often don't make a fifteen round alternative. (If I carried a Glock instead of a CZ I might be better off in that regard.)

Even when I carry my compact, with a 14 round mag, the spare mag is the same 16 rounder I carry with the full size. The gun came with a second 14 rounder, but I leave it empty for faster logistics at the range (I swap the ammo back and forth every few months to give the springs a rest--plus I download by one anyway). I sometimes think about ordering another fourteen rounder to use as spare. Then I realize that no one has supplied me with a compelling argument against carrying a grandfathered mag.

Last edited:

F350

My EDC is a Para-Ordnance P-14 (13 round mag) but the Glock 19 mags all have +2 extensions and if carried on the belt the 2 spares are Glock 17 mags with +2 extensions. Even if I bought +2 bases for the P-14 the would still only be 15 rounders.

At least here west of the continental divide the sheriffs have said they will not enforce the limits and most prosecutors have said the ban is unenforceable especially due to the grandfathering.

I saw this cartoon just after 15+ mags were banned and pot legalized, I understand a store specializing in high cap mags opened just into Wyoming, and a city just in Colorado allowed pot sales.

State Line Store.jpg

Last edited:

DanNabis

F350 I like that cartoon.
Also isn't it 16+ mags that are supposedly banned?

Davidmcbeth, you are completely correct.
I speak here in the vernacular of our oppressors acting illegally.

So Mag extensions are OK too?

I like these responses.

Last edited:

F350

I like these responses.

YEA; I was thinking anything over 15.

davidmcbeth

Banned

I like these responses.

Well, see the cigs on the movie 5th element? 2 puffs and thats it ... democrats have put in bills in my state for ONE rd in a mag is all that should be allowed

since9

Campaign Veteran
What are these "grandfathered" items you speak of ...

Are you serious? You're posting in the Colorado forum yet have no idea of what the OP is talking about?

To the OP, yes I do. I normally carry one in the gun and another in a holster pouch. If I'm heading into less than favorable territory, however, I add my other two 16-round mags.

Saxxon

I carry my pre-ban mags, they have +2 or +4/5 extensions on them, being the Glock 20s I have them for both have magwell extensions you have to have an extended mag to be able to seat them upon insertion.