• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who are you and what do you carry

EGM 69

Don't rely completely on night sights. Make sure you know your target, and that means illuminating it with a good strong light. I myself have little use for night sights. I prefer a good strong flashlight, at least 1,000 lumen. With the target brightly illuminated I can see the silhouette of my sights without issue.

I agree to not completely rely on them, especially when target identification is an issue. I am looking to get a good flashlight for my EDC (even when not carrying, as I will be at a university) although it will probably be in the 200 lumen range. I have shot my friend's Glock 19 with Crimson Trace LightGuard and I did get the silhouette effect you are talking about. I was able to shoot pretty well with it but I belive it would be even better in concert with a glowing front sight (Haven't tried it just a thought). Thanks for the input! :)

WalkingWolf

I was taught to not use any light in defensive shooting. "If it's dark, keep it dark." Preserve your night vision and learn to point-shoot. My good range could adjust each lane's light level from black to bright and I shot COM in low light just fine.

i was taught to use light to advantage, and to know the target so innocent people do not get hurt. If you are shooting at a shadow that shadow can be any one of things, hopefully it is a bad guy. But if not you should be screwed.

Firearms Iinstuctor

i was taught to use light to advantage, and to know the target so innocent people do not get hurt. If you are shooting at a shadow that shadow can be any one of things, hopefully it is a bad guy. But if not you should be screwed.

WW I agree again this might be habit forming. :)

I went on night patrol as a LEO long before good night sights and or very good flash lights. I found after many calls building search's, searching for people etc.. at night in dark buildings etc.

Night firing training, instructing such training watching hundreds of students perform.

I like night sights, I like weapon mounted tact lights and I like powerful hand held flash lights, even lasers have their place.

I been even know to throw glow sticks to back light a area going to be searched.

They all have there places and uses they all beat having plain old pistol sights in low light conditions.

A proper justifiable self-defense shooting is a pain enough.

Shooting the wrong person might be even some one you love.

Then saying I didn't know it was dark is a poor excuses.

Could and most likely land you in a heap of trouble.

Last edited:

Custodian

Hmm...About that.

As a once fresh graduate out of the BCOT academy, my EDC was a mix of M&P40 and an M&P40c. I loved these guns. And it was comforting to use the same weapon as the department did.

Well, of course, the horrid ex-wife, the avid complainer that she is/was/whatever, complained she couldn't (read as wouldn't) carry such a huge gun (yes, she considered the compact a huge gun, uh huh) cause it got lost in her fat rolls. No seriously.

So, I scaled it down to .380, against my better judgment.

Well, just before my divorce, I was carrying a mix of three weapons for my EDC, a Bersa Thunder .380, a Browning mini-Hi-Power in .380 and my glove compartment throw-around gun, a High Point in .380.

Well, my vicious ex-wife, had her own NCCHP (which she got at my behest) and had me thrown in jail cause I asked for a divorce (whomever runs to the magistrate and yells wolf, wins, apparently) and she promptly sold my entire firearm collection, while I cooled my heels in the county clink.

Go figure.

I just got around to buying my first firearm since the divorce, a M&P longslide in 9mm. However, I consider it far too big for EDC. It sits in a SERPA holster and never is far from its pairing of an Uncle Mike's 2 mag holster. My current g/f is terrified of it and I need to take time out how to teach her how to use it properly.

That being said, I plan on getting a M&P9c, for this very purpose of EDC.

So? What do I carry right now?

Smith & Wesson knife: M&P model 1BSD Assisted-Opening Linerlock, combo edge, Desert Tan is my current EDC.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

My current g/f is terrified of it and I need to take time out how to teach her how to use it properly.

Might easier to find a better G/F learn from the first mistake don't settle for any thing except a good conservative, Christian gun likely G/F.

I found over many decades if women don't do or like to do things before you date them they are unlikely do them after.

And they well do any thing to get a ring on their finger including pretending to like the things you like.

Good luck

Kopis

Yes, clearly you are deep undercover. Thought you could fool us!??!? NEVER!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:p

Edit:
My name is James, (if you couldn't tell by the username then...)
My EDC is Glock 23 in a BH Serpa lvl2
when I choose to carry a BUG, it is a Bersa thunder CC in a pocket holster
When I choose to carry A knife, it's a sharp one.
When I carry a vice recorder, it's a cheap one.

Also, to think that the goverment doesn't already know what you own, who you are, where you live, etc, is quite silly. ;)

i think your name is jim.

im not from this part of the woods but i carry a g17 gen4 most days in a comptac straight drop when im going to TN (OC) or crossbreed IWB when im staying in AR and a spare mag usually. occasionally ill rep the g19 if im going incognito or kimber CDP 1911 but i prefer the capacity of the glocks

Last edited:

Custodian

You might think that, at first glance

Might easier to find a better G/F learn from the first mistake don't settle for any thing except a good conservative, Christian gun likely G/F.

I found over many decades if women don't do or like to do things before you date them they are unlikely do them after.

And they well do any thing to get a ring on their finger including pretending to like the things you like.

Good luck

As my title states, you might think that at first glance... HOWEVER, she works in the security business, as a supervisor, currently unarmed (NCPPSB regulated). She is looking to get into firearms, because she wants to get into the armed side of the business, ergo, its in her best interest to learn.

She wants to sign up, for NRA first steps and pistol classes, as well as get her NCCHP, and finally get her undercover check-off from the NCPPSB.

So, THAT being said, things are looking on the up and up. She's never had anyone to teach her anything about firearms, so she has always been intimidated by them, I plan on putting an end to that for her.

Last edited:

solus

As my title states, you might think that at first glance... HOWEVER, she works in the security business, as a supervisor, currently unarmed (NCPPSB regulated). She is looking to get into firearms, because she wants to get into the armed side of the business, ergo, its in her best interest to learn.

She wants to sign up, for NRA first steps and pistol classes, as well as get her NCCHP, and finally get her undercover check-off from the NCPPSB.

So, THAT being said, things are looking on the up and up. She's never had anyone to teach her anything about firearms, so she has always been intimidated by them, I plan on putting an end to that for her.

forgive me, but 74C-13 of the NC statutes for 'armed private protective service personnel' covers specific training criteria: quote
(h)(1) The basic training course approved by the Board and the Attorney General shall consist of a minimum of four hours of classroom training which shall include all of the following:
a. Legal limitations on the use of hand guns and on the powers and authority of an armed security guard.
b. Familiarity with this section.
c. Range firing and procedure and hand gun safety and maintenance.
d. Any other topics of armed security guard training curriculum which the Board deems necessary.

(2) An applicant for a firearm registration permit must fire a minimum qualifying score to be determined by the Board and the Attorney General on any approved target course approved by the Board and the Attorney General.

(l) The Board and the Attorney General shall establish a training program for certified trainers to be conducted by agencies and institutions approved by the Board and the Attorney General. The Board or the Attorney General shall have the authority to promulgate all rules necessary to administer the provisions of this subsection.
unquote

plus obtaining a CHP.

i am positive none of the NRA's pistol course(s) meets the board's approval nor fulfill NCCHP requirements...

ipse

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I carry depending on the weather and/or the uniform of the day. Some days it's a Glock 22. Other days it might be a Glock 30S. If I need something really slim, probably a Kahr. Also will have a couple of pocket knives and a Fenix PD32 light.

Chief1297

Mine is a Ruger SP101, 2 1/4 in, .357 Cal, 5 shot, packed with 125gr gold dot HPs most of the time. I have been known to carry a S&W, 1911 full size with 230 gr HPs. Both carried OWB predominately in Garrett industries gear. They are carried equally open or concealed based upon my desires, comfort level, training and applicable laws. I am jonesing for a light weight Dan Wesson 1911 and a Ruger LCR, .357...

Aaryq

I'm Aaryq from Havelock.
Right now I carry a Girsan 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC...however my last deployment gift to myself was an M&P 45 4.5" and when I get my last pay check from Uncle Sugar's Misfit Children, I plan to get either another Serpa CQC or a Bianchi Pancake holster (gotta love that leather look).

Bahabandit

My name is "withheld due to NSA spying". I am in Jacksonville and my normal carry is an FNX-45 in a Crossbreed Supertuck with a Crossbreed dual magazine holder. My "other" OC gun is an FN FiveseveN but I don't like venturing out with it much.

bigfootinnb

Ruger KP944 in an Aliengear Cloak-tuck IWB holster with shirt tucked in behind the gun. Holster has good retention and holds the gun close to my body. Comfortable wearing it at 4:00 o'clock position.

blitz_7

My name is Mike and I just purchased my first firearm, XD9. I am currently reading and educating myself preparing to start OCing in Greensboro. Also trying to meet some people in the gun community here but striking out so far.