• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stop calling the police .. "sp needs" knife weilder shot dead ... of course

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.infowars.com/family-call...eds-daughter-cops-show-up-and-shoot-her-dead/

The San Mateo County sheriff’s department says that 18-year-old Yanira Serrano, who suffered from depression, was fatally shot Tuesday in Half Moon Bay after she lunged at a deputy with a knife.

Until more is known (like how far was she when she lunged ... 100 ft, 10 ft?) I'll hold out on any conclusions.

“Who are we supposed to call now when we need help when who is supposed to help us is killing our kids?”

Another parent who thinks that gov't can solve all their problems. What did they expect a paramedic to do? Take one for the team?

Your kid, your responsibility. Ya call the cops about a psycho kid with a gun or knife, don't be surprised that they get shot or killed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.infowars.com/family-call...eds-daughter-cops-show-up-and-shoot-her-dead/

“Who are we supposed to call now when we need help ....”

Yessir, all those federal dollars for mental health crisis intervention teams, the funds that have been pouring into localities ever since the deinstitutionalization of the MH wards in the 1970s - sure is working well.

Actually, one of the problems is that the cops are not calling the crisis intervention teams. Many of them have been dismantled because they were not being used.

stay safe.

Jack House

Until more is known (like how far was she when she lunged ... 100 ft, 10 ft?) I'll hold out on any conclusions.
Does it honestly matter how far she was? 10ft or 10,000ft, if she is charging you with a knife, are you not going to do everything in your power to stop that threat?

While it'd be nice if the officers had used less lethal tools, why should I condemn them for doing exactly what I would do?

countryclubjoe

Was this young woman shot in the back?

I will not comment until more definitive information is made available.

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
Does it honestly matter how far she was? 10ft or 10,000ft, if she is charging you with a knife, are you not going to do everything in your power to stop that threat?

While it'd be nice if the officers had used less lethal tools, why should I condemn them for doing exactly what I would do?

I'm sure people 10000 ft away are lunging towards me ... I let them live ... this time. lol

Really, a threat must be a real threat.

The cop shot her like 20 seconds after being on the scene .. from what the story said

Jack House

I'm sure people 10000 ft away are lunging towards me ... I let them live ... this time. lol

Really, a threat must be a real threat.

The cop shot her like 20 seconds after being on the scene .. from what the story said
Well, even if I did take the shot, I guarantee you I would miss. :lol:

My point though is that distance doesn't really matter a whole lot, the moment they charge at you with a knife they have signaled their deadly intent and instantly become a grave, imminent threat.

As for this specific case, I didn't read the article. I was just stating that I would not condemn someone for shooting an armed attacker that is further away than some arbitrary distance.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Well, even if I did take the shot, I guarantee you I would miss. :lol:

My point though is that distance doesn't really matter a whole lot, the moment they charge at you with a knife they have signaled their deadly intent and instantly become a grave, imminent threat.

ONLY when it is REASONABLE! the attacker must have the ABILITY or Perceived ability to accomplish the goal. At 100 feet (arbitrary distance) they may have every INTENT to commit the potentially deadly assault I am NOT at risk. Now per the Tueller drill (21 foot distance) when the knife wielder may have about a 50% chance of harming one with the knife then one would be fully justified. So somewhere between 100 feet and 21 feet away---- one becomes justified to defend themselves.

Jack House

ONLY when it is REASONABLE! the attacker must have the ABILITY or Perceived ability to accomplish the goal. At 100 feet (arbitrary distance) they may have every INTENT to commit the potentially deadly assault I am NOT at risk. Now per the Tueller drill (21 foot distance) when the knife wielder may have about a 50% chance of harming one with the knife then one would be fully justified. So somewhere between 100 feet and 21 feet away---- one becomes justified to defend themselves.
It's a trivial matter to close a 100' gap. It's not like they're standing on the opposite side of a lake or something.

The only reason they might not have the ability from 100' is because you have a gun. So now you have to consider your ability of utilizing deadly force at range as a metric for them being unable to succeed? Wut??:uhoh:

OC for ME

What if the victim was attempting to defend herself from the/a cop? No knife to gun fight jokes please. Why do assumptions always swing the cop's way.

Jack House

The same reason assumptions should swing in favor of anyone involved with a self defense shooting.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

solus

Yessir, all those federal dollars for mental health crisis intervention teams, the funds that have been pouring into localities ever since the deinstitutionalization of the MH wards in the 1970s - sure is working well.

Actually, one of the problems is that the cops are not calling the crisis intervention teams. Many of them have been dismantled because they were not being used.

stay safe.

yep, Johnson's 'Great Society' was a complete bust. when he shifted the funding from the Federal to States then told the States, with a wink and a nod, the States would be getting the money to continue the MH activities from 'other Federal sources' he didn't count on congress as well as the State(s) squandering the money elsewhere.

ipse

77zach

One's head must really be in the sand to call 911 for a disturbed or suicidal family member. The cops will keep them from hurting themselves by means of many .40 rounds to the chest. I see the same thing so many times in news articles I don't even think anything of it. Call the heroes and they will escalate the situation. It doesn't matter if there are 10 large male cops vs a little girl. If that little girl charges with a knife she's getting ventilated. After all, that's what they're training says to do, and a little girl with a knife can kill.

The neighbors are saying she was shot in the back. We'll see.

JoeSparky

Centurion
It's a trivial matter to close a 100' gap. It's not like they're standing on the opposite side of a lake or something.

The only reason they might not have the ability from 100' is because you have a gun. So now you have to consider your ability of utilizing deadly force at range as a metric for them being unable to succeed? Wut??:uhoh:

Butt one would also have some other options to try before the intend ed assaulter did in fact close the distance. My comments were simply to point out the even though an attacker may have a weapon and intent without proximity there us still no real immediate threat. Once immediate proximity is added the on would be justified in defending against what is now an immediate threat with real risk of possible loss of life as seen by a reasonable person.

Jack House

Butt one would also have some other options to try before the intend ed assaulter did in fact close the distance. My comments were simply to point out the even though an attacker may have a weapon and intent without proximity there us still no real immediate threat. Once immediate proximity is added the on would be justified in defending against what is now an immediate threat with real risk of possible loss of life as seen by a reasonable person.
What options? Retreating? Retreating isn't required in most states and is never an option.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A teenage witness named Dyanna Ruiz said she saw the mentally disabled child Yanira Serrano chasing the police officer:

“I saw the girl running at him with something in her hands. I didn’t know what was happening. I was really scared about what to do.”

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1286043/me...help-give-her-medication/#wBP31zgkgxytk2w2.99

Based on that statement above, it looks like a good defensive killing to me .... parents did not like the outcome, who would.

Can't be running around threatening people with a knife and not expect to get shot.

JoeSparky

Centurion
What options? Retreating? Retreating isn't required in most states and is never an option.

And shoot someone at a distance of 100 feet while demonstrating some skill at arms isn't going to be viewed by the local popo as a "good" shoot.

I do have other options in the time it takes an attacker to travel that 75 feet to improve my chances of survival and not doing the survival in a jail cell for an unjustified use of force.

? Just why does this bother you so much?