Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: non-resident TN. carry permit

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51

    non-resident TN. carry permit

    Hi all, I have a question about the TN. non-resident permit, I live in FL. but I work in TN. I do not have a FL. ccw at the moment but I do have a VA. non resident permit. Since I do have a VA. non resident permit and working in TN. could I qualify for a TN. NR permit?
    Or would I need to take the 8hr. handgun class in order to recive a TN. NR permit?
    also when applying for the TN. NR. would I need a letter from my place of employment?
    I do travel a lot and having different permits from other states would be helpful I also plan on applying for the IL. non resident as well.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandridge, TN
    Posts
    377
    My suggestion is to contact the TN dept. of safety and talk to someone directly. Go to TN.GOV and look up the dept. of safety and get the phone #. You might also look up TN law on the subject. I do believe you have to prove you actually do work in TN. I am not sure on your other questions.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by chocofan View Post
    Hi all, I have a question about the TN. non-resident permit, I live in FL. but I work in TN. I do not have a FL. ccw at the moment but I do have a VA. non resident permit. Since I do have a VA. non resident permit and working in TN. could I qualify for a TN. NR permit?
    Or would I need to take the 8hr. handgun class in order to recive a TN. NR permit?
    also when applying for the TN. NR. would I need a letter from my place of employment?
    I do travel a lot and having different permits from other states would be helpful I also plan on applying for the IL. non resident as well.
    No such thing as a TN NR pistol permit (bullet #2): http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/qualifications.shtml

    So the rest of your questions are pretty moot.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Just because one crosses a state line, they lose their RKBA? B-O-G-U-S ...

    No permit or permission slips should be required.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    No such thing as a TN NR pistol permit (bullet #2): http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/qualifications.shtml

    So the rest of your questions are pretty moot.
    Well, there is not a non-resident permit per se, but they will indeed issue a TN HCP to a non-resident under certain circumstances. As a matter of fact, seems it is a requirement if you regularly work enough hours, pretty much same as for becoming a TN resident.


    From TCA 39-17-1351:

    "(C) (i) If a person who is a resident of and handgun permit holder in another state is employed in this state on a regular basis and desires to carry a handgun in this state, the person shall have six (6) months from the last day of the sixth month of regular employment in this state to obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

    (ii) The provisions of this subdivision (r)(3)(C) shall not apply if the state of residence of the person employed in Tennessee has entered into a handgun permit reciprocity agreement with this state pursuant to this subsection (r).

    (iii) As used in this subdivision (r)(3)(C), "employed in this state on a regular basis" means a person has been gainfully employed in this state for at least thirty (30) hours a week for six (6) consecutive months not counting any absence from employment caused by the employee's use of sick leave, annual leave, administrative leave or compensatory time."

    - OS
    Last edited by Oh Shoot; 06-07-2014 at 01:05 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Just because one crosses a state line, they lose their RKBA? B-O-G-U-S ...

    No permit or permission slips should be required.
    A good cigar should still cost a nickel too.

    - OS

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
    Well, there is not a non-resident permit per se, but they will indeed issue a TN HCP to a non-resident under certain circumstances. As a matter of fact, seems it is a requirement if you regularly work enough hours, pretty much same as for becoming a TN resident.


    From TCA 39-17-1351:

    "(C) (i) If a person who is a resident of and handgun permit holder in another state is employed in this state on a regular basis and desires to carry a handgun in this state, the person shall have six (6) months from the last day of the sixth month of regular employment in this state to obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

    (ii) The provisions of this subdivision (r)(3)(C) shall not apply if the state of residence of the person employed in Tennessee has entered into a handgun permit reciprocity agreement with this state pursuant to this subsection (r).

    (iii) As used in this subdivision (r)(3)(C), "employed in this state on a regular basis" means a person has been gainfully employed in this state for at least thirty (30) hours a week for six (6) consecutive months not counting any absence from employment caused by the employee's use of sick leave, annual leave, administrative leave or compensatory time."

    - OS

    Thank you, Oh shoot for making that clear. although a VA NR permit is valid in TN. and many other states, and like I said I do travel a lot I would like this option and technicly I would qualify under the exception.
    I guess I will make the query to the department of safety since I do have certain details that need to be cleared.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by chocofan View Post
    Thank you, Oh shoot for making that clear. although a VA NR permit is valid in TN. and many other states, and like I said I do travel a lot I would like this option and technicly I would qualify under the exception.
    I guess I will make the query to the department of safety since I do have certain details that need to be cleared.
    recived this email today from TN. department of safety: This is in response to your inquiry into applying for a Tennessee Non-Resident Handgun Carry Permit.



    Due to our reciprocity agreement with the State of Florida, you will not be eligible to obtain a Non-Resident Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit. You may legally carry your weapon with a valid Florida permit. If you do not possess a Florida Handgun Permit, you may wish to apply for one.



    You may legally carry your weapon in Tennessee provided you have your valid out of state handgun carry permit with you at all times. If you do not hold a valid out of state permit, you will need to apply for a permit in the state in which you reside.

    bummer!

  9. #9
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705
    Considering TN now honors permits from all other states, I'm not even sure why they still issue "non-resident" permits. This was in the original law, back when some states didn't issue permits and many states didn't honor other states permits. Also at that time TN only honored permits from states that they had a formal written reciprocity agreement with. At some point this needs to be removed from the statute IMO.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    I would have liked a TN. permit cause it would have allowed me to carry in many more states.
    since I do travel constantly.
    when I get the chance I'll apply for FL. CCW.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705
    Good luck.

    Just remember, if you do get a non-resident permit from somewhere, some states do not honor non-resident permits been if they honor resident permits from that state.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    Good luck.

    Just remember, if you do get a non-resident permit from somewhere, some states do not honor non-resident permits been if they honor resident permits from that state.

    You are correct, my home state is one of those but there are certain was I could carry legally in my home state while in a vehicle. Once I would cross the state line into GA. for example witch does reciprocate with AZ. NR permit I should be ok. And in most states east of the MI. river not to mention IL.,New England, SC.,MD. and in the event that I would need to enter one of these states witch would be rare I would incase it accordingly if needed or glove box it, or simply carry it in the vehicle according to that states law. A national license would be great but none exsistent for the moment.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by chocofan View Post
    ....A national license would be great ...
    Strongly disagree. You do not want the Fed to have that in its control.

    - OS

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
    Strongly disagree. You do not want the Fed to have that in its control.

    - OS
    really why is that? I've never thought about it in that manner before please explain why?
    so you think everything should remain as it is?
    well considering what the ATF does some times I wouldn't doubt what the FBI would do.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705
    You shouldn't need a license period, but a national license is a bad idea because there is no telling what restrictions would be placed upon it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    good point, yes I think it's best the way it is.
    I am considering the IL. NR permit though, I don't go there often but since they are so very strict on there 55 mph highway speed limit , I would imagine there gun laws would be?

  17. #17
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by chocofan View Post
    good point, yes I think it's best the way it is.
    I am considering the IL. NR permit though, I don't go there often but since they are so very strict on there 55 mph highway speed limit , I would imagine there gun laws would be?
    If you can legally carry in your state of residence, you can carry in your vehicle in IL.

    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    exactly in you're vehicle ,I would like to carry in and out of the vehicle that's why I would like an IL. NR permit.
    I will admit between the 16 hr. class and the permit fee witch I think is $300. + 30 round's that need to be shot, it sound's really expensive.
    I think there is some one here in FL. that offers the IL. class and the paper work.




    Non-Residents
    No reciprocity: Out of state licenses not valid.
    Non-Residents may apply for an Illinois
    license. Must meet essentially the same
    requirements as an Illinois applicant.
    Non Residents are allowed to transport a
    concealed firearm within their vehicle without
    a permit, provided they have a valid out-ofstate
    permit. If the vehicle is left unattended,
    the firearm must either be in a locked
    container or the vehicle must be locked.

    You must have an Illinois Permit to Carry a firearm in Illinois.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by chocofan View Post
    really why is that? I've never thought about it in that manner before please explain why?
    so you think everything should remain as it is?
    well considering what the ATF does some times I wouldn't doubt what the FBI would do.
    Anything the Fed can set a precedent to control, it will control.

    It's a very short step from the "freedom" of federally mandated 50 state carry to, as FallGuy says, putting more and more conditions on doing it, or simply reversing 180 to no carry at all. Anything is possible under federal control, and our government is not known for less regulation over time if you haven't noticed.

    The very fact that we can't possess firearms on the very turf or in the buildings we "own" should be a clue.

    When states lose the sole right to decide something to the Fed, they don't get it back.

    It actually almost passed a couple of years ago, but can't imagine it standing short of SCOTUS decision. You really think CA,NY,CT,NJ,MD, et al, is gonna let us hillbillies trot around in their states with heaters without a powerful legal fight?

    - OS
    Last edited by Oh Shoot; 06-15-2014 at 02:15 AM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    Wow! so true and these are the states with the most crime rates, you know I try to explain to some people of self protection but they look at me like I'm nut's
    A criminal is like a bully he will take what ever you have.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by chocofan View Post
    exactly in you're vehicle ,I would like to carry in and out of the vehicle that's why I would like an IL. NR permit.
    I will admit between the 16 hr. class and the permit fee witch I think is $300. + 30 round's that need to be shot, it sound's really expensive.
    I think there is some one here in FL. that offers the IL. class and the paper work.




    Non-Residents
    No reciprocity: Out of state licenses not valid.
    Non-Residents may apply for an Illinois
    license. Must meet essentially the same
    requirements as an Illinois applicant.
    Non Residents are allowed to transport a
    concealed firearm within their vehicle without
    a permit, provided they have a valid out-ofstate
    permit. If the vehicle is left unattended,
    the firearm must either be in a locked
    container or the vehicle must be locked.

    You must have an Illinois Permit to Carry a firearm in Illinois.
    I would have to go to IL very often before it was worth the trouble to me, but if it is too someone's benefit I'm all for getting one.

    I'm just happy now if I find myself driving or riding the bike I don't have to make an effort to avoid IL or stop and break the pistol down first.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    fl.
    Posts
    51
    It's not on a regular basis that I do go there but being up in the northern mid west states it will benefit me 99.9% of the time.
    example from OH. ride over to IL. pickup there deliver to GA. or FL.
    and then do it all over again.
    use to do the new England route and I hated it just the mear thought of entering the state of NJ. made me sick.
    I love the south and if it where up to me I wouldn't leave the south.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Adams, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    21
    Not sure if it is still the case, but possession of Non-resident permits from Florida and Utah pretty much covered everywhere that allows concealed carry, because those two states had the most reciprocity agreements. Been awhile since I researched that, but check it out.

    Scott

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamReclaimer View Post
    Not sure if it is still the case, but possession of Non-resident permits from Florida and Utah pretty much covered everywhere that allows concealed carry, because those two states had the most reciprocity agreements. Been awhile since I researched that, but check it out.

    Scott
    Currently, TN permit gives you the same states, plus others, than having both of those. (39, counting TN)

    - OS

  25. #25
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamReclaimer View Post
    Not sure if it is still the case, but possession of Non-resident permits from Florida and Utah pretty much covered everywhere that allows concealed carry, because those two states had the most reciprocity agreements. Been awhile since I researched that, but check it out.

    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
    Currently, TN permit gives you the same states, plus others, than having both of those. (39, counting TN)

    - OS
    Yep EVERY state that honors permits from other states, except Maine. honors a TN permit. Although a few would not honor a permit issued to a non-resident.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •