• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non-resident TN. carry permit

Fallguy

exactly in you're vehicle ,I would like to carry in and out of the vehicle that's why I would like an IL. NR permit.
I will admit between the 16 hr. class and the permit fee witch I think is $300. + 30 round's that need to be shot, it sound's really expensive.
I think there is some one here in FL. that offers the IL. class and the paper work.

Non-Residents
No reciprocity: Out of state licenses not valid.
Non-Residents may apply for an Illinois
license. Must meet essentially the same
requirements as an Illinois applicant.
Non Residents are allowed to transport a
concealed firearm within their vehicle without
a permit, provided they have a valid out-ofstate
permit. If the vehicle is left unattended,
the firearm must either be in a locked
container or the vehicle must be locked.

You must have an Illinois Permit to Carry a firearm in Illinois.

I would have to go to IL very often before it was worth the trouble to me, but if it is too someone's benefit I'm all for getting one.

I'm just happy now if I find myself driving or riding the bike I don't have to make an effort to avoid IL or stop and break the pistol down first.

chocofan

It's not on a regular basis that I do go there but being up in the northern mid west states it will benefit me 99.9% of the time.
example from OH. ride over to IL. pickup there deliver to GA. or FL.
and then do it all over again.
use to do the new England route and I hated it just the mear thought of entering the state of NJ. made me sick.
I love the south and if it where up to me I wouldn't leave the south.

DreamReclaimer

Not sure if it is still the case, but possession of Non-resident permits from Florida and Utah pretty much covered everywhere that allows concealed carry, because those two states had the most reciprocity agreements. Been awhile since I researched that, but check it out.

Scott

Oh Shoot

Not sure if it is still the case, but possession of Non-resident permits from Florida and Utah pretty much covered everywhere that allows concealed carry, because those two states had the most reciprocity agreements. Been awhile since I researched that, but check it out.

Scott

Currently, TN permit gives you the same states, plus others, than having both of those. (39, counting TN)

- OS

Fallguy

Scott

Currently, TN permit gives you the same states, plus others, than having both of those. (39, counting TN)

- OS

Yep EVERY state that honors permits from other states, except Maine. honors a TN permit. Although a few would not honor a permit issued to a non-resident.

Barnett3006

I have a related question as I may be moving from TN to SC for work.

If I do move and update my TN HCP with my new SC address, will it become a valid defacto "NR" permit?

chocofan

If I do move and update my TN HCP with my new SC address, will it become a valid defacto "NR" permit?

not a lawyer, but as for my understanding you should be able. and both states have reciprocity.

cjohnson44546

really why is that? I've never thought about it in that manner before please explain why?
so you think everything should remain as it is?
well considering what the ATF does some times I wouldn't doubt what the FBI would do.

Some people really hate the Federal government and assume they will always be worse than a local government.

Now if the Feds came out and said... every state must be constitutional carry... if you can legally own the gun, you can carry it, no license required, and states cannot take this right away.... all these Federal haters would be happy, but they'd never believe the Federal government could do anything right.

Oh Shoot

Some people really hate the Federal government and assume they will always be worse than a local government.

Now if the Feds came out and said... every state must be constitutional carry... if you can legally own the gun, you can carry it, no license required, and states cannot take this right away.... all these Federal haters would be happy, but they'd never believe the Federal government could do anything right.

The prob is that once that priority is established by passing federal law, it's just as easy to do a one eighty. The easiest way to establish the jurisdiction to ban something is first establish the same to allow it. How much do you trust the Fed, even briefly, let alone over time?

If done by SCOTUS, the court can reverse itself. Hell, even 2A itself could be repealed with the right levers applied to state legislatures, and you don't even get a vote on any of those processes.

- OS

Last edited:

Fallguy

My guess is No. TN only issues Non-Resident permits under very specific conditions.

Among them is working at least 30 hours a week in TN for at least 6 months.