• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you vote in District 21? If so, you need to vote in the primaries (Important!)

z28power

For your Assembly position.

If 2nd amendment rights are important to you, this is a very close race. The difference is that one of the candidates appears to be completely in our corner. The other appears to take a wishy washy stance on the issues this forum would deem vital to our interests.

The two republican candidates are Derek Armstrong and Andrew Coates. Over the last few days, I have been in regular contact with both of them, getting their in depth take on some of the issues that matter to me as a voter. Many of these issues are near and dear to everybody that participates on this forum. I will copy/paste the correspondence of the questions I asked related to 2a, as well as any and all responses (unfiltered, unedited, direct copy/paste)

The same questions were asked to both Derek Armstrong and Andrew Coates. I will post both of their answers following each question.

1. Blue Card Gun Registration: Are you for, or against required blue card gun registration in (Clark County) Nevada?
    Andrew Coates said:
    I would vote to eliminate the blue card gun registration.
    Derek Armstrong said:
    I'm OK with the Blue Card gun registration of hand guns. No expansion. I understand that it means the govt knows who owns hand guns, but I think that it gives police officers the ability to take unregistered handguns out of the hands of criminals as well.
  2. 2) Uniform enforcement of NV State Preemption: Are you willing to put teeth into any laws that would penalize any government entity below the state level that are still not properly enforcing NV state preemption for Open and Concealed carry of handguns?
    Andrew Coates said:
    Yes, I support any and all measures necessary to enforce state preemption laws. To me, preemption is preemption. I am aware of the efforts of Clark County to bypass Nevada's preemption laws and for this reason I would support legislation that strips away any grey areas in the Nevada preemption law (thus totally disabling Clark County's effort to sneak past the law). Having grown up playing tennis at Sunset Park, I can appreciate your concerns.
    Derek Armstrong said:
    updated after second contact with candidate to clarify response: I would support legislation that creates uniform statutes and does not allow counties/cities to carve out exemptions. I completely understand your example with Sunset Park and the libraries, and agree with you 100% on that.
  3. 3) Concealed Carry on College Campuses: Are you for, or against this?
    Andrew Coates said:
    I generally support this, however, it would depend on how the legislation is written (for example, what limits are placed on keeping guns in shared dorm rooms).
    Derek Armstrong 1st response said:
    I have left the original response here, but Derek has come around a bit on this issue after a few discussions with myself and others, it would appear. Original:[strike]Based on how you phrased your questions, I'm guessing, but I would say you have a CCW, and are for concealed carry on colleges. With all of the school shootings I have spent a lot of time thinking about guns in school.I'm really not sure if its safer to allow concealed carry on campuses. I go back and forth on this issue, and this is how I feel. I'm for either of the following options. Either allow concealed carry on campus, or allow each college to make the choice.[/strike]
    I've had several discussions/debates about campus carry over the past couple of days and I want to talk about that first. One of the discussions I had ended up being the scenario that played out yesterday at Seattle Pacific. This is where I am, and will be for gun laws. I think the light finally came on, and this how I feel.

Campus Carry - It is better to have people with training and armed in classes. So, classrooms are not soft targets for individuals that can walk off the street and enter buildings and classrooms and kill innocent individuals that are not able to defend themselves.
  4. 4) Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association: Do you support a non-elected corporation/organization being given the right effectively make their own legislation without proper representation of the people?
    Andrew Coates said:
    No, I do not.
    Derek Armstrong said:
    I'm not for allowing the Sheriff's association the power to make legislation. That's insane and incredibly dangerous.

Both candidates are for elimination of margin tax, and both candidates said they can't possibly undo making Amazon collect sales tax, now that the cat is out of the bag :lol: Both candidates oppose Common Core program for Education.

When it comes to 2a rights, it appears Andrew Coates is the obvious candidate. Let your voting help get us the support we need in a race that might propel a candidate to offices beyond assemblyman and get somebody in our corner elected. Since both of these candidates are Republicans, whichever does not win the primary will likely not be running in the general election, so you need to make sure you vote - Primaries are important!!!!

Last edited:

z28power

Edited to amend & clarify responses received by Derek Armstrong. I will attach the uncut email here for clarification.

Derek Armstrong said:
Greg,

I've had several discussions/debates about campus carry over the past couple of days and I want to talk about that first. One of the discussions I had ended up being the scenario that played out yesterday at Seattle Pacific. This is where I am, and will be for gun laws. I think the light finally came on, and this how I feel.

Campus Carry - It is better to have people with training and armed in classes. So, classrooms are not soft targets for individuals that can walk off the street and enter buildings and classrooms and kill innocent individuals that are not able to defend themselves.

Preemption - I would support legislation that creates uniform statutes and does not allow counties/cities to carve out exemptions. I completely understand your example with Sunset Park and the libraries, and agree with you 100% on that.

Maybe you can provide me with more information regarding the Blue Card program? I didn't know that we were one of the few counties that does this, and about the cost. I'm always willing to listen.

I just want to say that I appreciate this discussion because my biggest issue in this election wasn't gun rights, and I apologize because I do know that it is very important to a lot of people. My biggest two issues are jobs and education. I'm a tax attorney that owns a small business and represents other small businesses in the state. I believe that the one thing government should encourage is for people to become self sufficient. That means starting businesses themselves. However, it is absolutely one of the hardest things someone can do right now. There are so few legislators with business backgrounds at the state level that have any clue what their laws are doing to small business owners. That is really my passion right now.
I hope that clarifies my position and finally answers Question #2. Let me know if you have any other questions.

So, if anybody has any figures or cites regarding the failure that is the Blue Card system, post 'em up. It appears we may have an ally in either one of these candidates when it comes to 2nd amendment rights.